You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
comradsky431

Special MOD For Tier 10 DDs

14 comments in this topic

[PYRO]
Beta Testers
60 posts
9,360 battles

So, you grind your [edited]to get the special mod for a tier 10 DD gunboat and you have to give up the concealment to be able to use it. Is it yet another cruel joke from let us mess up with DD players a bit because while BBs and CA's do not give away a crucial for their performance mod, DD's do ? I do not mind radars, heals that everyone but DD's get, torpedo protection that makes your torpedo damage a joke as if 1 to 3 or 1 to 5 XP difference is not high enough but this is , kind of does it for me. After running with mostly DDs for 3 years, I'll either join the increasing ranks of HE spammers or just find another game. Thank you WG for killing our fun. After spending ~ $1000 in three years (which is not that of a big deal), I doubt you'll see another penny from me. 

Well done WG team, well done. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Supertester
4,085 posts
4,098 battles

The whole point of those mods are to give up one aspect to do better in others

• Cool 2

[PQUOD]
Members
193 posts
6,025 battles

I have one T10 DD the Gearing. I did the unique upgrade for .2 km extra concealment. In exchange I had to sacrifice torpedo and gun reload time. After starting a thread asking opinions I was given good advice. In T10, the .2 km extra concealment is not worth precious time reloading. The reason being. In T10 there are the ever present radar ships. That nullifies any .2 km you get in concealment. So I switched back and moved on.  

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

You... You do know that you can always look up the stats on the wiki to see if it's worth it BEFORE putting in all of that time and effort, right OP?

[-WPG-]
Members
737 posts
3,145 battles

Of all the things about this game, this is the thing that puts you over the edge. An optional sidegrade you aren't forced to use. There's numerous videos explaining the tradeoffs of legendary modules. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,838 posts

wQZGqDu.gif

So you've discovered some legendary mods don't fit your playstyle. This isn't unique to DDs. You really should read the wiki more as so many of your statements are wrong. Like dds don't get radar? I guess the PA dds are an illusion. 

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
8,859 posts
7,257 battles
7 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I have one T10 DD the Gearing. I did the unique upgrade for .2 km extra concealment. In exchange I had to sacrifice torpedo and gun reload time. After starting a thread asking opinions I was given good advice. In T10, the .2 km extra concealment is not worth precious time reloading. The reason being. In T10 there are the ever present radar ships. That nullifies any .2 km you get in concealment. So I switched back and moved on.  

If you consider +/- 0.3km in stealth to be simultaneous spotting and any thing more or less than 0.3km meaning you spot them or they spot you first, here is how the Gearing breaks down for the T8-T10 MM spread.

Normal concealment module Gearing.

Spots you first
Asashio, Kagero, HSF Harekaze, Daring WIP, Jutland WIP, Lightning WIP, Yugumo & Shimakaze

Simultaneous spotting
Chung Mu, Loyang, Hsienyang, Black, Fletcher, Kidd, Benson, Yueyang, Akizuki, Kitakaze, Z-46, Gearing, Grozovoi, Z-52, Ognevoi, Harugumo, & Z-23

You spot first
Udaloi A, Kiev, Udaloi B, Tashkent, & Khabarovsk

Gearing Unique Upgrade where you give up 0.45s of gun reload and either 5.3s of reload on the 10.5km torps or 6.8s of reload on the 16.5km torps. 

Simultaneous spotting
Asashio, Kagero, HSF Harekaze, Daring WIP, Jutland WIP, Lightning WIP, Yugumo, Shimakaze, Gearing+, Chung Mu, Loyang, Hsienyang, Black, Fletcher, Kidd, Benson, Yueyang, Akizuki, Kitakaze, Z-46, & Gearing

You spot first
Grozovoi, Z-52, Ognevoi, Harugumo, Z-23, Udaloi A, Kiev, Udaloi B, Tashkent, & Khabarovsk

So, if the spotting issue for the DDs that can spot you first is not a big deal, then the Unique Upgrade is not for you. But if you really want that spotting advantage and the slightly lower reload is not a problem, then the Gearing UU is something to look at.

6 hours ago, Landsraad said:

You... You do know that you can always look up the stats on the wiki to see if it's worth it BEFORE putting in all of that time and effort, right OP?

I'm putting together a series of posts where I have done the math already, so people can look at numbers instead of +x% this and -y% that. Hope to finish in the next couple of days. I will put them in the game guides section and put a thread linking them in the general section.

[KRAK]
Members
941 posts
13,036 battles
8 hours ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

The whole point of those mods are to give up one aspect to do better in others

Very few of the legendary mods make the benefit worth the cost.  I have the Des Moines, Minotaur, Gearing, and Khab Legendary mods and the only one worth installing is the Mino mod. The other 3 the trade off is so bad the only thing they are good for is selling for credits. I have heard the Yammy, and Groz mods are also decent.

[PQUOD]
Members
193 posts
6,025 battles
6 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

If you consider +/- 0.3km in stealth to be simultaneous spotting and any thing more or less than 0.3km meaning you spot them or they spot you first, here is how the Gearing breaks down for the T8-T10 MM spread.

Spots you first
Asashio, Kagero, HSF Harekaze, Daring WIP, Jutland WIP, Lightning WIP, Yugumo & Shimakaze

Simultaneous spotting
Chung Mu, Loyang, Hsienyang, Black, Fletcher, Kidd, Benson, Yueyang, Akizuki, Kitakaze, Z-46, Gearing, Grozovoi, Z-52, Ognevoi, Harugumo, & Z-23

You spot first

Gearing Unique Upgrade where you give up 0.45s of gun reload and either 5.3s of reload on the 10.5km torps or 6.8s of reload on the 16.5km torps. 

Simultaneous spotting
Asashio, Kagero, HSF Harekaze, Daring WIP, Jutland WIP, Lightning WIP, Yugumo, Shimakaze, Gearing+, Chung Mu, Loyang, Hsienyang, Black, Fletcher, Kidd, Benson, Yueyang, Akizuki, Kitakaze, Z-46, & Gearing

You spot first
Grozovoi, Z-52, Ognevoi, Harugumo, Z-23, Udaloi A, Kiev, Udaloi B, Tashkent, & Khabarovsk

So, if the spotting issue for the DDs that can spot you first is not a big deal, then the Unique Upgrade is not for you. But if you really want that spotting advantage and the slightly lower reload is not a problem, then the Gearing UU is something to look at.

I'm putting together a series of posts where I have done the math already, so people can look at numbers instead of +x% this and -y% that. Hope to finish in the next couple of days. I will put them in the game guides section and put a thread linking them in the general section.

That is true it is up to the individual. 

The fractional concealment gain, while sacrificing reload time was part of my personal decision to pass on the Gearing UU. Coupled with the ever present radar ships, and the sonar capable DD's made my decision. 

That being said, that is just my style of play, run and gun. I am sure however the Gearing UU did benefit other players.

[PQUOD]
Members
193 posts
6,025 battles
6 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Spots you first

Simultaneous spotting

You spot first

Simultaneous spotting

You spot first

Thank you though for posting the breakdown of the Gearing UU. Very nice job!

[PVE]
Members
8,859 posts
7,257 battles
7 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

That is true it is up to the individual. 

The fractional concealment gain, while sacrificing reload time was part of my personal decision to pass on the Gearing UU. Coupled with the ever present radar ships, and the sonar capable DD's made my decision. 

That being said, that is just my style of play, run and gun. I am sure however the Gearing UU did benefit other players.

Oh yeah, one of the things I really like about WoWs is how there is more than one way to play a ship with a lot of ships. 

6 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Thank you though for posting the breakdown of the Gearing UU. Very nice job!

Your welcome. I'm really close to finishing a numbers break down for all of the Unique Upgrades. Keep an eye on the Game Guides forum. I will post a separate thread for each one and a master thread for links to all of them.

• Cool 1