You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WestPac_CG22

Playing the Tenryu as a DD

14 comments in this topic

[NNA]
Members
141 posts
5,264 battles

So I recently researched and purchased a T3 Tenryu cruiser and watched a couple of videos by Notser and UrPeaceKeeper. One of them (can't remember who), mentioned how this ship was like a DD with a citadel and that it could almost be played as a DD. So I decided to test this theory and upgraded the ship with the B Hull for 17, 700 HP and the Type 3 Mod 2 Gun Fire Control for a 12.4 km firing range. I added a Type 9 camo (because I had a lot of it) and took a 10 Pt Captain from reserve and placed him at the helm. I redistributed the skills for Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Demolition Expert and Concealment Expert.

So my ship specs are:

HP-17,700
Speed- 32 knots
Firing Range - 12.4 Km
Torps - 2x3 533 Mm w/7 Km range & 57 knots speed
Turning Radius - 560 M
4 second Rudder Shift
Detectability at Sea - 7.1 Km

I've been running sea trials in Co-Op just to get the feel for running this ship out of detection range and if it was possible to stealth torp incoming enemy ships. Since most of the games have been with T2-T3 ships I haven't had to worry to much about detectability by air. Occasionally I did run into a T4 game with CVs and just changed my game play for Cruisers. It is possible to stealth torp as a DD, but you have to time the release of your torps at just the right moment to engage ships that will be crossing the torp range just before your fish get there. Most times I came into detectability range, but was already in a position to go back into stealth before fired upon. The style that I found the best was to play this ship as both DD and Cruiser in the same game. The fact that you have to expose much of you side to torp with this ship makes it hard to torp at close range, but I have been able to rush and torp a BB when its guns are pointed away from me and escape with only light damage from it's secondary guns. You will take damage playing DD style, but angling and maneuvering tactics can help mitigate how much. Not having smoke or engine boost makes it harder to play as a DD, but keeping out of range and running between islands can often hide you long enough to isolate that lone BB or CA to take them out. While it may not be expedient or even profitable to run the Tenryu this way, it is possible to do so and can be fun once you get the hang of it. 

I have played a 19 Random games with the ship and have found that most of the time CA style is more productive, but can shift to a DD style if the opportunity presents itself. Anyway, just thought I post my findings.

Tenryu12018-08-30 (3).png

Tenryu22018-08-30 (4).png

Tenryu32018-09-04.png

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles

Welcome to tier 3 bliss. Tenryu is the best kept secret in the game/

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles

I'll take Tenryu 1 on 1 with St. Louis or Bogatyr all day long.

[CRUEL]
[CRUEL]
Members
149 posts
15,722 battles

Tenryu is a great ship

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,524 battles
4 hours ago, legozer said:

My Varyag 19 IFHE captain would like a word!

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,885 posts
8,168 battles

This ship, the Kuma, and the Fury beast are "Next Too" ships, you play them next too or slightly behind the DDs.

Members
17,699 posts
5,084 battles
12 hours ago, legozer said:

Friant is no slouch either....

Members
287 posts
4,288 battles
13 hours ago, WestPac_CG22 said:

I redistributed the skills for Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Demolition Expert and Concealment Expert

I don't think Expert Marksman is the best choice for Tenryu.  You already have 8.5 degrees/second turret rotation stock, and since your guns are 140mm you only get 0.7 deg/sec boost from EM (139mm is the max which gets 2.5).  I have been using Last Stand as my 2-point skill, since Tenryu does seem to have a delicate rudder, and you really do not want to get stuck broadside to anybody if (when) it gets knocked out.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles
7 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

I don't think Expert Marksman is the best choice for Tenryu.  You already have 8.5 degrees/second turret rotation stock, and since your guns are 140mm you only get 0.7 deg/sec boost from EM (139mm is the max which gets 2.5).  I have been using Last Stand as my 2-point skill, since Tenryu does seem to have a delicate rudder, and you really do not want to get stuck broadside to anybody if (when) it gets knocked out.

That's only assuming you keep the captain in the Tenryu, though. Moving up the line, the turret traverse becomes abysmal.

[-K-]
Members
5,043 posts
8,928 battles
On 9/5/2018 at 1:02 AM, legozer said:

Welcome to tier 3 bliss. Tenryu is the best kept secret in the game/

Until you realize she can be citadelled with HE shells :Smile_teethhappy:

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles
6 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Until you realize she can be citadelled with HE shells :Smile_teethhappy:

If you're getting hit you're doing something wrong!

[-K-]
Members
5,043 posts
8,928 battles
12 minutes ago, legozer said:

If you're getting hit you're doing something wrong!

Or being spotted by much stealthier DDs.  The only way Tenryu gets to act as an effective DD is when there aren't other DDs to counter it.

Members
287 posts
4,288 battles
16 hours ago, legozer said:

That's only assuming you keep the captain in the Tenryu, though. Moving up the line, the turret traverse becomes abysmal.

Yeah, I decided I liked Tenryu enough to keep her even after researching Kuma.  I don't take her out much anymore, but she has always been a lot of fun brawling in co-op, a good way to let off steam after tough or salty random matches.  Although if the recent co-op AI changes mean that even at low-tier the bots will hide instead of charging you it may lose some of that enjoyment.

Members
1,470 posts
659 battles
12 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Although if the recent co-op AI changes mean that even at low-tier the bots will hide instead of charging you it may lose some of that enjoyment.

Yesterday they were yoloing, enough that I got 2 torpedo kills in a Phoenix.