You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TaintedMiracle

Looking For Advice

18 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
1,485 battles

The reason I made this post is to ask for advice and information. I've reached a point where I consider myself relatively skilled at the game overall, and so I want to know where I stand compared to most players. I started playing WoWs 80 days ago. In 912 random battles across 195 total hours spent in-game I have reached one line's T10 (Minotaur), one line's T9 (Lion), one line's T8 (Kagero), three lines' T6 (Ryujo, Aoba and Nurnberg), two lines' T5 (Omaha and Jianwei) and one line's T4 (Myogi). 251 of those battles were in premium ships and I have a 47% win rate and a 0.9 destruction ratio. Most of those battles were with a premium account, I'd guess about 850 of them. I have played 15 ranked battles, all of them in the Massachusetts, and I have a 60% win rate and a 2.78 destruction ratio in them. At the time of making this post, this is what my profile summary looks like for random battles:

a2b0236226264923b5b135707c08fedb.jpg

Is there a way for me to compare my performance and progress to the average, and if so, how? Where do I stand compared to the average player, and apart from in-game settings is there anything I should be using/changing? (IE mods/add-ons)

Members
4 posts
1,485 battles
Just now, Octavian_of_Roma said:

You could use the stat sites to compare to the server avgs (and individuals). In all honesty just try to keep improving. Dont worry about too much where you stand amongst your peers in video games, just try to improve your gameplay.

Which stat sites should I use then? I saw a few and that's one of the reasons I made this post, so I could find out which I should use. I'm happy with my progress, but I want to benchmark it, so to speak.

[BOTES]
Members
131 posts
3,108 battles

Better than I was, but I didn't rush one line and started playing in divs a lot more at the 1k mark. Results were pretty good in terms of picking up valuable experience.

Members
283 posts
5,030 battles
31 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Yah, sorry was about to edit my post to include that.

Most use, https://na.wows-numbers.com/. There are also mods that capture your performances in games. (I dont use mods, so cant point you in the right direction; but I am aware there are some real useful ones for both actual in-game realtime information and post game review info)

Seconding wows-numbers. It's a great site you can use to watch your performance.

Members
2,748 posts
6,242 battles

Don't start comparing yourself per se. Play your ships and contribute. This game is long and grueling. I've been playing for 3 years. It will suck the life out of you and make you feel great. Remember though. it's just a game.

• Cool 1

Members
1,167 posts
501 battles

perhaps you  went far to fast up the tiers.... I mean 47% aint horrible at all... but I have seen better and know that you can do better.... if you stay at tier 4 and get the MM protection you can learn more mechanics about the game and run up to tier 6-7... the SWEET spot and be a terror...
Good luck and have fun

Members
1,167 posts
501 battles
10 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

Don't start comparing yourself per se. Play your ships and contribute. This game is long and grueling. I've been playing for 3 years. It will suck the life out of you and make you feel great. Remember though. it's just a game.

and this... this too....

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,323 posts
11,439 battles

Marks of a good player.

50% win rate.

Finish top 3 of team.

Do more damage than your own ships hit points.

Up to tier 6 1000 base exp. 

Tier 7 up 1500 base exp.

As for mods, wargaming mod station.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

The only advice I will give you is forget the stats race it gives you nothing.

Be mindful of the mini map Don't shoot at the first ship you see.

Stick with your counterparts support them and they will support you.

Don't use the chat for insults.

A well aimed salvo might be the winning shot, don't rush to die.

Your survival is key to success. Make a difference for your team.

Join a Clan and be active in it. Not just for the benefits.

[-AGW-]
Members
635 posts
9,315 battles

Under a thousand battles to T10... damn. I must have been doing something wrong.

• Funny 1

Members
4 posts
1,485 battles
On 9/4/2018 at 8:54 PM, NashW8 said:

Under a thousand battles to T10... damn. I must have been doing something wrong.

I did have premium for most of that time, to be fair.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:48 PM, CLUCH_CARGO said:

On 9/4/2018 at 8:41 PM, dEsTurbed1 said:

Marks of a good player.

50% win rate.

Finish top 3 of team.

Do more damage than your own ships hit points.

Up to tier 6 1000 base exp. 

Tier 7 up 1500 base exp.

As for mods, wargaming mod station.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:33 PM, neptunes_wrath said:

perhaps you  went far to fast up the tiers.... I mean 47% aint horrible at all... but I have seen better and know that you can do better.... if you stay at tier 4 and get the MM protection you can learn more mechanics about the game and run up to tier 6-7... the SWEET spot and be a terror...
Good luck and have fun

I wasn't asking for gameplay advice, I picked up on most of this stuff by T6 or so and learned the rest from a few YT videos and Discord. Thanks for the mod. My winrate would be above 50% if I hadn't played a ton of battles in the Hood and Campbeltown, ships I'm not very good with but enjoy very much. That's besides the point. I only wanted my stats to see how I could improve. Regardless, a big thank you for your advice and help to everyone who posted here.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,323 posts
11,439 battles
On 9/4/2018 at 6:32 PM, TaintedMiracle said:

The reason I made this post is to ask for advice and information. I've reached a point where I consider myself relatively skilled at the game overall, and so I want to know where I stand compared to most players. I started playing WoWs 80 days ago. In 912 random battles across 195 total hours spent in-game I have reached one line's T10 (Minotaur), one line's T9 (Lion), one line's T8 (Kagero), three lines' T6 (Ryujo, Aoba and Nurnberg), two lines' T5 (Omaha and Jianwei) and one line's T4 (Myogi). 251 of those battles were in premium ships and I have a 47% win rate and a 0.9 destruction ratio. Most of those battles were with a premium account, I'd guess about 850 of them. I have played 15 ranked battles, all of them in the Massachusetts, and I have a 60% win rate and a 2.78 destruction ratio in them. At the time of making this post, this is what my profile summary looks like for random battles:

a2b0236226264923b5b135707c08fedb.jpg

Is there a way for me to compare my performance and progress to the average, and if so, how? Where do I stand compared to the average player, and apart from in-game settings is there anything I should be using/changing? (IE mods/add-ons)

As to how you compare to most players with under 1k battles:

You are above average.

I believe your average damage is much higher than the average player.

If you keep progressing and learning you should be able to reach a 55% win rate.

Remember this is a game so try to have fun.

With 10k battles played and almost all tier 10 ships, I'm still having fun.

I call a battle a success if I finish top 3.

I cannot carry most teams and lack the unicom's ability to position successfully. 

So I am doing good getting my win rate up a full percentage whilst playing tier 8+ battles. I have increased my average damage by 10k in just a year.

My goal is to hit 50% w/r...

If I have to I'll play my low teir destroyers to do it, but that sacrifices average damage. 

Members
3,635 posts
13,459 battles
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:48 PM, CLUCH_CARGO said:

^Good advice^

To add to that; HAVE FUN! If you aint having fun, you wont do too well because you wont care to do well. And having fun is the reason for playing games.

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,807 battles

To cover the mods/add-ons portion of your question: If you haven't already, you'll want to strongly consider downloading and installing Aslain's ModPack.  This contains dozens of mods from purely cosmetic (changing on-screen icons, commander voices, etc.) to highly useful (displaying additional information in the team lists, adding brighter shell tracers, etc.).  Make sure to enable the preview window when installing for the first time & play around with different options until you find whatever works best for you.  At the very least I would highly recommend using a team list mod which will add hit point counters to each ship in the battle (these will only track damage which occurred to ships within your view range at the time; it's not giving you additional information vs. anybody playing the vanilla game, just helping to keep track of the info you have).

Additional tips:

• Enable replays so that you can re-watch battles you've played, and/or ask others to review them for you.  A quick search on Google will tell you how to turn them on (it involves a quick cut & paste into one of the game files), or Aslain's contains the option to enable them as well.
  • Look into Lord_Zath's YouTube channel.  There are literally hundreds of videos available there, each of which consists of a super unicum-level player breaking down the gameplay of other people who've submitted replays to him.  It's all very positive, and extremely useful information (and you can submit some of your own replays as well).
  • Focus on consistency more than pure stats.  Pretty much everyone is capable of throwing down a 5-kill, 200k damage battle when the stars align and RNGesus smiles down upon them, but what separates a unicum player from an average one is the consistency with which they make good decisions (or avoid making mistakes).  I would much rather have someone on my team who consistently finishes in the 3rd to 5th area on the leaderboard while focusing on objective gameplay, vs. one who's equally capable of posting a 3000 or 300 base XP game.
  • While there's nothing at all wrong with playing solo (I almost always do), regularly playing in divisions is an outstanding way to improve your stats, win rate, and skills while also having more fun doing it.  At this stage you'd be best off looking for more experienced players you could learn from, but as time goes by and your own game improves you can slide into the role of tutor yourself.
  • Don't obsess over your stats!  At this point a single bad (or good) session can have a relatively large impact on your overall numbers, but even as your battle count climbs well into the thousands you should be experimenting with different lines, different ship types, different captain builds, different strategies & tactics...all of which will likely produce a short term dip in your numbers as you figure out what works best for you.  Again, the end goal should be consistently playing at your best, all while working toward elevating that level of play.  If you're fawning over those numbers too much, that will probably stunt your growth as a player.

Welcome aboard! :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Harv72b

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles

47% WR at 912 matches is decent in my book.  You're ahead of the curve.  I think I was at 45% or worse at around the 1000 matches mark :Smile_teethhappy:  I remember checking where I was at around 1k-1.5k matches on Warships Today, and all I saw was red and orange stats.  I had to look away!  It's generally ugly for lots of players that aren't re-rolled veterans at 1000 matches.  IIRC, the train of thought was at around 1k, things should start to click better.