You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

(another) Carrier Rework Video - Make AA Great Again!

195 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,426 posts
4,720 battles

And it appears they did!  Good god it looks beautiful!  These are my thoughts on the rework.  Interested to hear yours.  I think this is what was needed and an excited.

• Cool 17
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,465 posts
6,648 battles

It does look good, but it raises far more questions than it answers. What we don't see in this video, is going to be problematic. What do see, is the easy part for devs. The hard slog to find new solutions for all that is missing, is going to be make or break. So I'll be reserving judgement.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[5D]
Members
1,183 posts
7,091 battles

It looks good. However as someone that really likes CV play as it is (why couldn't we start normalizing AA and cleaning up the UI so it was more intuitive?) I'm really cautious about this. Right now (and I know it's really WIP) there is no blap potential. That's not bad by itself, however how are you supposed to start stacking dots if you only have one squad? If there's no blap potential, shouldn't the alternative be force out DCP with fires and follow up with perma-floods? Hopefully these questions will be answered in due time. How are you supposed to help the team with damage? You can't blap anyone and stacking dots seems to be extraordinarily hard. Talk about skill gap? Good CV's using this methodology are going to absolutely wreck those that can't manage to figure out how to stack perma dots. Without strafing to worry about and divert CV attentions, good CV players are going to be dropping perma floods everywhere while beginners are going to be wracking their brains on how to emulate the precision needed.

It looks okay, it just needs to be known how deeply WIP this is. Wargaming cannot do this quickly. They need to take their time and do this right while considering all of the different perspectives.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[VFW]
Members
899 posts
20,639 battles

This doesn't only change the CVs, it impacts the whole game and every type of ship (good and bad).  I'm not really looking forward to the confusion and mess this is going to create for WoWS.

vr,

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,769 posts
12,878 battles

The "fighter ability" is interesting.  I suspect its best use will be as cap cover for the carrier.  One of the first things "veterans" will try is the proverbial alpha strike on the opposing carrier.  If the defending CV player can call in fighters, this would mitigate that attempt...somewhat...or perhaps a lot.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
17 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Interested to hear yours.

15 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

So I'll be reserving judgement.

Well Zoup, thanks for posting I am going to have to agree with DarthZeppelin.

I am not a CV player, and I have tried. But under the current game play, I just could not get it. This looks interesting, but I have a lot of concerns.

I do not want all the current CV players to say "screw it I quit" so I hope WG will listen to player input like they are saying they will.

• Bad 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,098 posts
8,745 battles

What makes me nervous about the rework is of it might end up making CVs more OP than they are now since I have to admit I like things as they are now where only some battles have CVs. Just someth My about being able to fight in surface battles.

Although I do use CVs some and I make sure to have at least some AA on my ships to help keep aircraft off me.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
2,077 posts

Rockets are OP... Dropping torps that close is ridiculous. Plus the fact that they can do all this multiple times before planes have to reload... Means you are going to get wrecked.

Good way to make them even more OP.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[HINON]
Members
8,804 posts
4 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

Rockets are OP... Dropping torps that close is ridiculous. Plus the fact that they can do all this multiple times before planes have to reload... Means you are going to get wrecked.

You are overreacting as they haven't done one iota of balancing on this. This is merely a prototype build of how aircraft attack mechanics will function from a big picture point of view.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
2,077 posts
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

You are overreacting as they haven't done one iota of balancing on this. This is merely a prototype build of how aircraft attack mechanics will function from a big picture point of view.

Nope... Just stating the obvious. Video doesn't lie.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,381 posts
1,463 battles
5 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

I don't know.... all those torp drops I saw in various videos were against ships either not moving or not attempting to dodge or react at all..   Only being able to drop one 3 torp wave at a time...coupled with ships turning to avoid.. I could see life getting a lot harder for CVs...They probably need the ability to get them pretty close to be effective.     I  do see a lot of potential for damage over time with same squadron being able to quickly follow up on wounded, burning or flooding ships..  managing your repair against an attacking squadron is going to require a lot more thought due to it as well.    Plus CVs working together in coms will still be able to work against  ships which will make organised team play a bit more interesting.    I like what I see so far.  Seems to match the overall gameplay of WOWS a lot better.      

[SBS]
Members
2,407 posts
2,253 battles
28 minutes ago, Spartias said:

That's not bad by itself, however how are you supposed to start stacking dots if you only have one squad?

You have one squadron of 12 planes, and you get 4 attacks (3 planes with each attack).  As of now it looks like stacking DOT will be so easy it will be OP.  I can see this needing to be nerfed.

• Cool 3

Members
2,077 posts
1 minute ago, RA6E_ said:

I don't know.... all those torp drops I saw in various videos were against ships either not moving or not attempting to dodge or react at all..   Only being able to drop one 3 torp wave at a time...coupled with ships turning to avoid.. I could see life getting a lot harder for CVs...They probably need the ability to get them pretty close to be effective.     I  do see a lot of potential for damage over time with same squadron being able to quickly follow up on wounded, burning or flooding ships..  managing your repair against an attacking squadron is going to require a lot more thought due to it as well.    Plus CVs working together in coms will still be able to work against  ships which will make organised team play a bit more interesting.    I like what I see so far.  Seems to match the overall gameplay of WOWS a lot better.      

All I know is DD's are dead with those rocket's. Unless they have AA consumable. BB's are going to flood to death. Cruiser's might come out OK. 

[SBS]
Members
2,407 posts
2,253 battles

I like the looks of the AA too.  It would cool if IJN ships had colored tracers.  Ships would use differ color tracers so they could direct the fire, so tell a certain ship to stop shooting because they were hitting a friendly ships.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
69 posts
18,661 battles

One other thing. There is a write up on reddit with more details. The most interesting thing no one has mentioned is that CV's will no longer be on the map. They are off board and cant be sunk. If you throw away squadrons, each respawn takes longer and longer. This is like a MOBA. I am not sure how you give each nation a flavor. But we will see when/if this goes live.

• Bad 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,352 posts
10,135 battles

The new way of playing looks interesting but I really don't like unlimited planes or the fact a squad can just keep attacking over and over for what 4 times in a row? Here come the torp planes/bombers...phew I dodged...oops here they come again...wow I missed those too...oh lord here they come once more...damn they got me...what again???...BOOM! WTH!

I also really hope they take away the rockets from the fighters. Those look OP big time. I know fighters could carry small bombs and rockets IRL but for game play they should be limited to fighting other planes.

I will have to see more so am not going off the deep end but while I think they are making CV easier to play which is good I think they actually are making them way more powerful which is not good.

Time will tell.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,352 posts
10,135 battles
16 minutes ago, Jarkorsis said:

One other thing. There is a write up on reddit with more details. The most interesting thing no one has mentioned is that CV's will no longer be on the map. They are off board and cant be sunk. If you throw away squadrons, each respawn takes longer and longer. This is like a MOBA. I am not sure how you give each nation a flavor. But we will see when/if this goes live.

what can't sink them??? I question that being true

Members
2,077 posts
8 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

The new way of playing looks interesting but I really don't like unlimited planes or the fact a squad can just keep attacking over and over for what 4 times in a row? Here come the torp planes/bombers...phew I dodged...oops here they come again...wow I missed those too...oh lord here they come once more...damn they got me...what again???...BOOM! WTH!

I also really hope they take away the rockets from the fighters. Those look OP big time. I know fighters could carry small bombs and rockets IRL but for game play they should be limited to fighting other planes.

I will have to see more so am not going off the deep end but while I think they are making CV easier to play which is good I think they actually are making them way more powerful which is not good.

Time will tell.

While your trying to dodge those 4 waves... People will be blasting you... Once you turn out of auto bounce angles it's GG.

They are really going to make people rage.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
10 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Here come the torp planes/bombers...phew I dodged...oops here they come again...wow I missed those too...oh lord here they come once more...damn they got me...what again???...BOOM! WTH!

Yeah, I can all ready see this in Co-Op. I can picture it now! Dodged all four waves of the Red BoT CV's Torpedoes! :Smile_smile:

And be hit by all four waves of the Green BoT CV's Torpedoes!  :Smile_teethhappy:

Not mention all the New CV players trying out their torpedoes skills:Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding:

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,352 posts
10,135 battles
3 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

While your trying to dodge those 4 waves... People will be blasting you... Once you turn out of auto bounce angles it's GG.

They are really going to make people rage.

Yeah didn't even think of that. Plus just imagine a BB like GK having to try and dodge 4 torp runs one right after another even if only 3 torps at a time. Yeah right that will be a snap. :Smile_facepalm:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,352 posts
10,135 battles
4 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Yeah, I can all ready see this in Co-Op. I can picture it now! Dodged all four waves of the Red BoT CV's Torpedoes! :Smile_smile:

And be hit by all four waves of the Green BoT CV's Torpedoes!  :Smile_teethhappy:

Not mention all the New CV players trying out their torpedoes skills:Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding:

That or as you are madly trying to dodge the torps it lets the bot BB's have free shots at your sides and we all know they almost never miss and always get cit's and max damage. The torps will get you or the enemy ships will for sure. Gonna be a mess LOL.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

That or as you are madly trying to dodge the torps it lets the bot BB's have free shots at your sides and we all know they almost never miss and always get cit's and max damage. The torps will get you or the enemy ships will for sure. Gonna be a mess LOL.

Yeah I know, I am going to really hate to see how this will change Operations!

[TOG]
Members
2,347 posts
14,590 battles
36 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

It's probably going to be a nuisance for BB's and CA's/CL's.  DD's are another matter.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
10 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

It's probably going to be a nuisance for BB's and CA's/CL's.  DD's are another matter.

Well, rockets and .50 cals were used to work over more than one Japanese DD in the South Pacific...

• Cool 1