You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Noob DD, Get Back!

32 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles

If you know what you are doing, don't listen to commands or even "advice" by the players on your team. Too many times I've given in to what teammates wanted me to do and generally it's been with disastrous results. If you are new to the game or the ship type then, by all means, heed the advice of others. However, if you have played long enough to become proficient then go with what you know is best.

This was Okinawa, the map with the two open caps and the A cap with the long island and lots of small islands. Immediately when I headed to B someone said "Noob Gearing, go to A." Then, whenever I spotted a ship it was "Noob, Gearing Get back" The team went A and C, leaving me alone at B. What was I doing at B? Defending it, of course.

My team capped A and C and the game was essentially over. None of the enemy could cross from A to C to help the other side because my torps kept turning them back. Every time they came and and tried to cap B I'd either stay in the cap and defend it or, if radared, flee but return before the cap was finished. I never capped B but neither did they. Finally, the A and C groups were so depleted that they converged on B and tried to push, right into my torps and into a crossfire by my A and C teammates. 

shot-18_09.04_06_16.31-0051.thumb.jpg.2a35e9184e22aa48e274d0d7d2cfeb73.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 2

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts

Wait....

You were in a dd.

You got radared.

You didn’t “insta-die”?

The red boat didn’t “auto-win”?

Did WG stealth nerf radar?!?!

Lol. JK. Sounds like an intelligent dd driver denied enemy team a victory. Very powerful ships in the right hands.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
615 posts
7,709 battles

Radar'd and he didn't immediately start a thread about how radar needs to be removed?  :Smile_Default:

Sounds like the team could learn a thing or two from Snargfargle.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
29 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Wait....

You were in a dd.

You got radared.

You didn’t “insta-die”?

9 minutes ago, Optio_Praetorii said:

Radar'd and he didn't immediately start a thread about how radar needs to be removed?  :Smile_Default:

I, and a lot of other DD drivers, have sort of gotten used to the new radar meta. Essentially all you have to do is to assume that you have a 10 km detection radius for the first quarter of the match.

It's pretty easy to taunt most radar ships into using their consumables too. Just get within detection range of them and they usually will pop radar. Since you are usually around 9 km away you only have to move out a click to get out of radar range.

The only time when radar is a major problem is if you are sitting still behind a rock or in smoke. Smart DDs no longer run for the nearest cap and sit in it, even when the team "demands" they do so.    

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
5,038 posts
8,925 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I, and a lot of other DD drivers, have sort of gotten used to the new radar meta. Essentially all you have to do is to assume that you have a 10 km detection radius for the first quarter of the match.

It's pretty easy to taunt most radar ships into using their consumables too. Just get within detection range of them and they usually will pop radar. Since you are usually around 9 km away you only have to move out a click to get out of radar range.

The only time when radar is a major problem is if you are sitting still behind a rock or in smoke. Smart DDs no longer run for the nearest cap and sit in it, even when the team "demands" they do so.    

Yep.  Just play a DD, automatically expect radar, and know how to escape/evade when lit up.  Once it's expired, you're free to do what you need to do while on cooldown.

Honestly, it feels like the radar meta has really settled down in the past couple of weeks.  Been seeing a lot more DDs back on the water and a lot less radar.  Ranked being active may also have something to do with that too.

[FACT]
Members
398 posts
3,933 battles

"Noob DD, Get Back", easily applied to every freaking DD player I ended up matched with in Ranked yesterday. 4 DD's per side and what a hot mess. After going 4-6, I only advanced 1 Star. Three losses I was #1 over all. It was a pattern: Lose 2, Win 1. Rinse and repeat.

WG needs to cap the number of DD's in Ranked to two per team.

20180903_155653.jpg

[H_]
Members
669 posts

Yes, most of us that use DD's have taken the 10K avoidance method to heart.....we have no choice.  One small problem with that.  The red team caps well ahead of the blue team whom are 10K out of the caps hiding....  We tease the radar and guess what:  no one is there to support you.  You don't die if you are fast enough; or, haven't wandered into 4 or 5 ships that can fire 13 - 15 K non-stop....  And, since we aren't capping and are starting from a deficit, guess whom have the weather gauge.............not you or yours.  So, as CPT Aurby said: "Run like smoke and Oakum"...and pray for fog.....getting eaten alive all the way out of range........if you are lucky.

So, have we solved, mitigated or balanced the meta or has the meta changed the roles?    Ah, it has ruined the roles and has taken the initiative out of a line of ships whose entire purpose is to "create the initiative by finding and harassing the bad guys"...  Please, just an opinion from a new player whom just happens to like this historic era and came to WoWs for that era........if I want integrated, 100% accurate, real time shared, radar fire control systems, I play Harpoon....  I want LOS solutions with LOS roles using LOS weapons systems.  So, I'm getting really uncomfortable with WoWs and the time I have invested may be wasted......  Sorry, just another perspective.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,399 posts
25,196 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Honestly, it feels like the radar meta has really settled down in the past couple of weeks.  Been seeing a lot more DDs back on the water and a lot less radar.  Ranked being active may also have something to do with that too.

Yes, radar has fallen off according to the data i have. Gameplay is much improved as a result.

[CUTE]
Members
5,151 posts
3,430 battles
2 hours ago, ARandomClaymore said:

20180903_155653.jpg

I feel the same way about Battleships. See how easy it is to play the blame game?

Why should there be more than 2 BB per team if you dont mind me asking? What makes BB so special? (other than the "special" players they seem to design them for in WOWS)

Poor players are poor players, and if it's so much trouble, put your money where your mouth is, run a DD and lead by example. It's what I've done when the BB are so horrible I've had to -gulp- play BB in ranked to advance.

Ask around. Horror stories exist for all classes and types.

[FACT]
Members
398 posts
3,933 battles
46 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

I feel the same way about Battleships. See how easy it is to play the blame game?

Why should there be more than 2 BB per team if you dont mind me asking? What makes BB so special? (other than the "special" players they seem to design them for in WOWS)

Poor players are poor players, and if it's so much trouble, put your money where your mouth is, run a DD and lead by example. It's what I've done when the BB are so horrible I've had to -gulp- play BB in ranked to advance.

Ask around. Horror stories exist for all classes and types.

Where in my initial post did I state there needed to be more BB's? Also, where did I state BB's were special?

Agreed, poor players are poor players, yet many of the poor players seemed to be sailing DD's yesterday from "my experience" (your gaming experience may differ, so good for you!).

8 of my 10 games had 4 DD's, 1 Ca and 2 BB's. The majority of the DD players I was teamed with wouldn't spot, just launched torps and danced around caps with only 1 radar ship that was at a different cap! Other players cannot shoot what they cannot see. So far in Ranked, I've had a 13k damage game in my Republique to the 171k damage one posted above. So yeah sometimes one gets a bad game tossed in the mix. I get that.

As for money where my mouth is...I tried DD play in previous T8 seasons of Ranked. Go on, look at my stats, you will see that it was detrimental to my team to sail one. So why on earth if a player does not play well in a specific ship class would they sail a ship that hurts their chance and their teams chance of winning? Again, yesterday in my experience the majority of that was DD play.

As for bad players are bad players regardless of ship class, I can make a case for the battle where the only other BB in the match sailing a Yammy ignored repeated team chat messages and sailed off in the wrong direction for the first 5 minutes of the battle. He was out of the battle the whole time, crippled our team (stayed way back trying to snipe) and then spent time in chat screaming how we all ditched him. Guess who was at the bottom of the team after the loss? He was. Or do I give an honorable mention to those who play the super squishy Des Moines, that charge right in, and refuse to go dark and bail when numbers aren't in their favor, and get wrecked? I don't need to ask around for stories,   we've all had them on our teams.

It's unfortunate you took my gaming experience so personally. :Smile_ohmy:

[HECA]
Members
95 posts
2,545 battles

I still think radar durations are too long for the most part and should be reduced, or a con should be placed on ships using radar.... such as detection increase (here I am, enemy team) or something.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,068 posts
12,832 battles
21 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

If you know what you are doing, don't listen to commands or even "advice" by the players on your team. Too many times I've given in to what teammates wanted me to do and generally it's been with disastrous results. If you are new to the game or the ship type then, by all means, heed the advice of others. However, if you have played long enough to become proficient then go with what you know is best.

This was Okinawa, the map with the two open caps and the A cap with the long island and lots of small islands. Immediately when I headed to B someone said "Noob Gearing, go to A." Then, whenever I spotted a ship it was "Noob, Gearing Get back" The team went A and C, leaving me alone at B. What was I doing at B? Defending it, of course.

My team capped A and C and the game was essentially over. None of the enemy could cross from A to C to help the other side because my torps kept turning them back. Every time they came and and tried to cap B I'd either stay in the cap and defend it or, if radared, flee but return before the cap was finished. I never capped B but neither did they. Finally, the A and C groups were so depleted that they converged on B and tried to push, right into my torps and into a crossfire by my A and C teammates. 

Don't you know that you are just an extension of a BB … your sole function is to serve and play his game ie. farming :)

Edited by Commander_367

[TMS]
Members
1,602 posts
21,584 battles
22 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Indeed.

I just had a ranked battle in my shima and i was told to cap A, i said i'm not going to cap A until the 3 radar ships are accounted for.

They said then spot and i said you better hope i don't spot the radar mino or the Yue DD first as there radar is more than there concealment, the DES is less of a problem.

But one of them still kept on asking me to cap and this is from a hurricane clan player and then the mino radars me but i knew where he was so got away with little damage, i told them i will cap when i think its right to do so im driving this ship not you.

So the mino gets pushed out and i see the Des elsewhere, they tell me to cap A again i get close and radar again and it's the Yue which i could not see.

I told them right be ready to shoot because it's only that dd near here, and i push and spotted the Yue and we blap him, but if i had gone right in  the 3 times when they asked me i would of been dead everytime.

We end up winning the battle.

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
1,602 posts
21,584 battles
18 hours ago, ARandomClaymore said:

Where in my initial post did I state there needed to be more BB's? Also, where did I state BB's were special?

Agreed, poor players are poor players, yet many of the poor players seemed to be sailing DD's yesterday from "my experience" (your gaming experience may differ, so good for you!).

8 of my 10 games had 4 DD's, 1 Ca and 2 BB's. The majority of the DD players I was teamed with wouldn't spot, just launched torps and danced around caps with only 1 radar ship that was at a different cap! Other players cannot shoot what they cannot see. So far in Ranked, I've had a 13k damage game in my Republique to the 171k damage one posted above. So yeah sometimes one gets a bad game tossed in the mix. I get that.

As for money where my mouth is...I tried DD play in previous T8 seasons of Ranked. Go on, look at my stats, you will see that it was detrimental to my team to sail one. So why on earth if a player does not play well in a specific ship class would they sail a ship that hurts their chance and their teams chance of winning? Again, yesterday in my experience the majority of that was DD play.

As for bad players are bad players regardless of ship class, I can make a case for the battle where the only other BB in the match sailing a Yammy ignored repeated team chat messages and sailed off in the wrong direction for the first 5 minutes of the battle. He was out of the battle the whole time, crippled our team (stayed way back trying to snipe) and then spent time in chat screaming how we all ditched him. Guess who was at the bottom of the team after the loss? He was. Or do I give an honorable mention to those who play the super squishy Des Moines, that charge right in, and refuse to go dark and bail when numbers aren't in their favor, and get wrecked? I don't need to ask around for stories,   we've all had them on our teams.

It's unfortunate you took my gaming experience so personally. :Smile_ohmy:

I have been in more battles this ranked with 4 BBs per side than 4 DDs.

It's been 4 BBs 1 CA and 2 DDs most of the time for me.

[INTEL]
Members
573 posts
7,283 battles
On 9/4/2018 at 6:35 AM, Snargfargle said:

"Noob, Gearing Get back"

As soon as I see someone call out "noob", I'm pretty certain of who's going to die or end up in the bottom half of the scoring.

[PNP]
Members
4,314 posts
13,313 battles
On 9/4/2018 at 7:35 AM, Snargfargle said:

I love how everyone comes here with their one off games as if they are the messiah of the class and knowing what to do.  Sad to say, your stats contradict everything you are showing with this little clip.   You had a one off lucky run that you took a risk on and it paid off.

sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug,  you my friend are mostly the bug who managed to avoid the windshield 1 out of 50x.

you had a great game, good on you. but remaining consistent is the key.

Edited by Shadowrigger1
  • Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,332 posts
3,552 battles
On 9/4/2018 at 8:36 AM, ARandomClaymore said:

Only when you stop taking screen shots with your phone. 

Image result for print screen meme

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
6 hours ago, Commander_367 said:

Don't you know that you are just an extension of a BB … your sole function is to serve and play his game ie. farming :)

I've kind of noticed this. BB players always are whining that nobody is spotting for them or guarding them from the other team's DDs but when I ask them to help cover me in a cap they are usually oblivious because they are targeting other BBs 25 km away.

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
2 hours ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

Sad to say, your stats contradict everything you are showing

Ouch, a stat shaming, I am sorely chastised! I shall humbly bow my head and speak no more in these forums.

• Funny 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
2 hours ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

I love how everyone comes here with their one off games as if they are the messiah of the class and knowing what to do. 

you had a great game, good on you. but remaining consistent is the key.

Harsh but also on point.

I think the OP could have probably left that single game stat out of it since it's naturally going to draw flak from stat scanners while not adding any credibility to the actual point- and don't get me wrong I'm a guy who puts some weight behind what stats say about how a person plays. Say what you want about stats but they do add and remove credibility when it comes time to giving gameplay advice. If people don't want them playing a role then it helps to add a degree of humility and leave stats out of it.

With that being said I think Snarg's overall point is more than valid regardless of stats and something I've also really noticed more often lately...

Players won't let things shake out for the first 5 minutes before they start with the belittling commentary. A player may not be doing things another player's favourite way and within 2 minutes (or less) the rolling negative commentary flows in like it's going to help. People want to "give suggestions" in the first few minutes but if the entire team goes off and does its own thing, turning on the [edited]-o-meter and cranking it up to 11 isn't going to turn the tide.

Being good at the game means being able to adapt to it- not expecting it to adapt to you... which I think goes back to your key point and that is being able to perform consistently regardless of which cap the team starts with.  

Edited by _ENO_

[INTEL]
Members
573 posts
7,283 battles
17 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Ouch, a stat shaming, I am sorely chastised! I shall humbly bow my head and speak no more in these forums.

Don't you know that your opinion has no value unless I agree with it?  In the future, check with me first to ensure that you don't post something out of your depth.  Thank you.

• Funny 1

Members
211 posts

I know that when I'm on a team with 5 DD's at least 4 of them will die within the first 30 seconds of the match.  Thanks for the fun and engaging game when your team is down 4 ships immediately.  

[INTEL]
Members
573 posts
7,283 battles
4 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

With that being said I think Snarg's overall point is more than valid regardless of stats and something I've also really noticed more often lately...

That's how I took it.  In this one instance, his own decision making resulted in a good outcome.  All too often there's someone in the battle that offers, nay, commands direction and when you don't comply they get ugly.  Teams are made up of individual players and they have 'command' of their ship.  For better or worse you are stuck with these people in this one ~20 minute battle.  If you want them to do something, offer the advice in a polite way and if they choose to do something different there's really nothing you can do.  It's the same in real life.  

Sometimes I just want to virtually hand them my keyboard and say "have at it buster, I'm outta here".  As it is, I often just draw a little smug satisfaction in outscoring them in the battle results.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,068 posts
12,832 battles
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, ARandomClaymore said:

"Noob DD, Get Back", easily applied to every freaking DD player I ended up matched with in Ranked yesterday. 4 DD's per side and what a hot mess. After going 4-6, I only advanced 1 Star. Three losses I was #1 over all. It was a pattern: Lose 2, Win 1. Rinse and repeat.

20180903_155653.jpg

Afaik nobody really wants to play DD anymore and the ones remaining know their abilities and chances of survival. 

If it's a DD fight they have to engage, It's your job to push back/kill radar 

Most DDs don't enjoy capping anymore - wonder why they even bother .. oh yeah teamwork?

Edit, just played first ranked in 2 weeks and gave up on my Shima - ironically, not a single DD on either side lol

Edited by Commander_367

[WOLF2]
Members
1,068 posts
12,832 battles
57 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Don't you know that your opinion has no value unless I agree with it?  In the future, check with me first to ensure that you don't post something out of your depth.  Thank you.

Until someone with better stats calls the stat-shamer an idiot :)

Then it's Game Over statwhore :)