You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Jef_Roberts

Dutch Tromp class cruisers

6 comments in this topic

[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
23 posts
3,890 battles

I see talk of a "Pan European" tech tree/collection, which would I assume include the Royal Netherlands Navy. I have posted before and I know others have as well that the Dutch have a long maritime history and a fairly large collection of indigenous designs - many of exceedingly high quality or interest and as such ought to be worthy of their own tech tree.  I think the two cruisers of the Tromp class are a good case in point. Conceived of as destroyer flotilla leaders but evolving into compact light cruisers in the design and construction process, they emerged as interesting and indeed unique vessels, both of which served with distinction and survived the Second World War. 

Compact ships with a tight turning radius and powerful armament for their size. Tromp was completed as designed, while her sister was incomplete at the time of the invasion of the Netherlands and was towed to England where she was completed with English armament.
Tough, maneuverable gun platforms with destroyer speed and heavy armament. I would love to be able to play this pair of interesting vessels.

Hr._Ms._Tromp_1_1936.jpg

Hr._Ms._Tromp_1936.jpg

hr-ms-jacob-van-heemskerck-1942-light-cruiser-2.png

hr-ms-tromp-1938-light-cruiser.png

Hr Ms Jacob van Heemskerck 1941.jpg

Hr_Ms_Tromp.jpg

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Tromp would be a good addition to the game, but at the same time lines have been made with less material than currently exists for the Dutch navy, so I'd prefer them as their own entity. Hang on a sec, let me turn on the @Lertsignal.

[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
23 posts
3,890 battles

Absolutely agree!   There is a COMPLETE tech tree for cruisers all the way up to the post-war completion of De Ruyter II and De Zeven Provincien that ought to slot nicely into an upper tier.  Van Kinsbergen or Flores for Tier 1 to Gelderland at tier 2, Sumatra as designed at tier 3, Java as completed at 4, a paper modernization of the uncompleted Celebes at 5, De Ruyter at 6, Tromp at 7, Eendracht as designed at 8 and DZP at Tier 9 - at the very least. Those are REAL ships, nearly all of them completed, most with long careers.  And that is a tech tree that matches up well with the other "major" powers... 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
3 hours ago, Jef_Roberts said:

... Java as completed at 4, a paper modernization of the uncompleted Celebes at 5, De Ruyter at 6, Tromp at 7, Eendracht as designed at 8 and DZP at Tier 9 ...

No way that those ships fit at those tiers without significant, unreasonable and a-historical buffs. If we go by historical tonnage, armor and rate of fire we find Java at T3, de Ruyter at T4, Eendracht at T5 and DzP at T8. For some of these I could see them moving up a tier with massaged ROF, but by that time the hull is getting a bit underwhelming.

As for Tromp and her sister, I have an older thread about them.

• Cool 2

[-BMV-]
Members
112 posts
18,580 battles

Don't forget about the Design 1047 cruiser-killer as the tier X Dutch cruiser.