You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Alaska in game, anything known about plan(s) for this ship?

26 comments in this topic

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

So, today was the first time I ran into one of these in game.

bgD3lOe.jpg

It would be nice to know what the plan(s) for this ship are, as far as obtaining it.  I am in the process of grinding free XP for Kron (already own Missouri, Musashi, and Nelson), but if Alaska is going to be free XP ship I may want to hang on to all the free XP until it becomes available.

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
10,878 battles

We won’t know anything for sure until they announce it. 

Beta Testers
2,825 posts
4,003 battles

according to a video of the first impressions,she is a worse krons.

worse guns,worse concealment and other things for better AA and MAYBE better overal armor profile.

• Bad 3

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
2 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

according to a video of the first impressions,she is a worse krons.

worse guns,worse concealment and other things for better AA and MAYBE better overal armor profile.

That sucks, I was in the need of a ship for Halsey.  19 point John Doe occupied Missouri, Alabama, and Arizona, and is very reluctant to give up command.

Beta Testers
2,825 posts
4,003 battles
1 minute ago, Ramsalot said:

That sucks, I was in the need of a ship for Halsey.  19 point John Doe occupied Missouri, Alabama, and Arizona, and is very reluctant to give up command.

the ship is actually not that bad,it's because krons is such a great ship,that the bar is naturally high.

the shells fly lower,so less overpen,tds on cruisers are always bad so no need to compare.

[RAWR]
Members
425 posts
27 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Probably going to be 750k FXP, just like all the other Tier IX premiums.

This or a Arsenal ship.

Or both like they Musashi is setup atm.

[RAWR]
Members
425 posts
15 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

the ship is actually not that bad,it's because krons is such a great ship,that the bar is naturally high.

the shells fly lower,so less overpen,tds on cruisers are always bad so no need to compare.

I actually just watched that like less then 5 minutes ago.

Except he says the shells still overpen too much. So them being lower doesn't seem to do much anyways.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,881 posts
3,538 battles
10 minutes ago, Phasferous said:

I actually just watched that like less then 5 minutes ago.

Except he says the shells still overpen too much. So them being lower doesn't seem to do much anyways.

its the same fuse arm time as the DM, and the velocity is about the same too. the arming threshold is whats keeping it back. if they lowered that to like 34mm it would instantly be competitive.

[RAWR]
Members
425 posts
2 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

its the same fuse arm time as the DM, and the velocity is about the same too. the arming threshold is whats keeping it back. if they lowered that to like 34mm it would instantly be competitive.

So you agree she's got too much Overpen power? Thus making her not very effective and thus not worth getting her. Cause other then then that I am not seeing much that helps her stand out. I mean she's just a T9 USN Cruiser with all the general bells and whistles that come with USN Cruiser. Radar, AA fire (which is still useless unless CVs get improved) and a HP repair party.

Honestly that's the problem with her. There's not much helping her stand out at the moment. I know she's till in testing but still, just nothing there that screams "Hey! I am a great Prem ship. I am worth your time!"

• Funny 1

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,881 posts
3,538 battles
Just now, Phasferous said:

So you agree she's got too much Overpen power? Thus making her not very effective and thus not worth getting her. Cause other then then that I am not seeing much that helps her stand out. I mean she's just a T9 USN Cruiser with all the general bells and whistles that come with USN Cruiser. Radar, AA fire (which is still useless unless CVs get improved) and a HP repair party.

Honestly that's the problem with her. There's not much helping her stand out at the moment. I know she's till in testing but still, just nothing there that screams "Hey! I am a great Prem ship. I am worth your time!"

its not the power that the issue. the power is fine. What i suspect is that shells are entering the ship, and failing to arm because they need 50mm to do so. i doubt they are overpens in a sense that they exit the ship before detonating.

the issue was much more apparent in flamus stream. that being said, his shooting was poor, ammunition selection dubious, and sometimes even target selection was questionable. There were a few times though were he was getting an unacceptable amount of overpens. Notsers shooting was far better, i think in that 1 game notser had more citadels than flamu had in like 10.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,122 posts
12,855 battles

I'm sure WG in their infinite wisdom will fix any and all issues until the Alaska sparkles like a jewel among all her piers :)

I'm buyin this thing no matter what she looks like in the end … because :)

Please don't disappoint WG … cough cough Salem cough

Edited by Commander_367
  • Cool 3

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,602 posts
14,017 battles

Overpens?  LOL meanwhile they gave Stalingrad favorable AP bounce angles ***AND*** RN CL AP-like short fusing :Smile_teethhappy:

Oh, and high velocity shells with 2.65 sigma:Smile_teethhappy:

• Boring 1

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,881 posts
3,538 battles

As a fair comparison here is notsers kronstadt video

while yes its attributes have changed, what to look for is the amount of over pens. To me the kron seems to get significantly more over pens.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
449 posts
955 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_367 said:

I'm sure WG in their infinite wisdom will fix any and all issues until the Alaska sparkles like a jewel among all her piers :)

I'm buyin this thing no matter what she looks like in the end … because :)

Please don't disappoint WG … cough cough Salem cough

I'm still going for Salem first, as Notser said regarding Alaska's current state, Salem is actually a better premium cruiser...more DPM...:P

[WOLF2]
Members
1,122 posts
12,855 battles
1 hour ago, Bonfor said:

I'm still going for Salem first, as Notser said regarding Alaska's current state, Salem is actually a better premium cruiser...more DPM...:P

So, you're saying because Salem puts a ceiling on how good the Alaska can be, the Salem must be the better ship?

Why nerf 2 ships? That would make neither one of them a buy - pls don't let it be true 

Edited by Commander_367

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles
4 hours ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Probably going to be 750k FXP, just like all the other Tier IX premiums.

Also could be coal, Steel, or cash.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,122 posts
12,855 battles
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:10 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Also could be coal, Steel, or cash.

In the video, he let's out that it's pretty much a replacement for the Missouri - so that would likely be free xp purchase no?

Edited by Commander_367

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles
8 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

In the video, he let's out that it's pretty much a replacement for the Missouri - so that would be free xp purchase no?

Still only possibly so, unless Wargaming officially says that it will be Free XP. Because just like when they do events that have items that have various means of getting items or ships from one event to the next, you never know with Wargaming.

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

Well, like has been said, if they fiddle with shell fuses, I think she will be fine. They did this with the French BBs when they first came out, as there was almost no point in shooting cruisers at first. Overpen city. :Smile_facepalm: I think the Alaska looks pretty good otherwise. I just wonder if we will have 2 camo choices like the MO... HINT HINT!!

Members
109 posts
2,416 battles

Actually doesn't look worth the steel/coal/fxp right now at all. 

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
284 posts
9,101 battles

Got the Kronstadt, I will get the Alaska. because 'Merica

[WOLF2]
Members
1,122 posts
12,855 battles
14 hours ago, Gary_P said:

Got the Kronstadt, I will get the Alaska. because 'Merica

Same, but also in part I think it will earn more money and xp if it can hold it's own vs T10s … and more fun as well

For some reason I like T9 more than T10

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

They could do something interesting and unique about Alaska, aside from her combat characteristics.  For example Missouri makes best credits, Musashi makes best captain XP (her doubloon camo has extra captain XP bonus).  They could make an optional Alaska camo that gives 100% to free XP, that would make it highly desirable.

• Cool 1

Members
3,635 posts
13,459 battles

I had a fight with a Alaska tonight while driving Conquerer with the 16" guns.  (yeah, I was slummin') I hit her quite a few times with both HE and AP and she seemed pretty robust. Her guns hit pretty hard too, not as much as a BB, but respectable.

I definitely want to get Alaska!

giphy.gif.d6df9eb41dbf3f025d1cbb817652bb1e.gif

• Cool 1