Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crzyhawk

Interesting info on the Yamato design process

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

159
[TNG]
Members
998 posts
12,675 battles

wow talk about paper ships !  it would takes us 10 years to grind all those :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820
[ARMDA]
Members
8,994 posts
3,797 battles
Spoiler

Book1_389

There's the Izumo.
I would also love this as a prem, Shinano.

Spoiler

shinano-2.png

Spoiler

Yamato A-140G1-A

 

Edited by Unabletony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
663 posts
7,781 battles

I could see Shinano have a potential to become a premium ship, but then again, you don't want to have many Yamato's...
Edit: But seriously tho, that camo design looks cool and I want it on Yamato or in Musashi

Edited by Amatsukaze_KaiNi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,518
[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,536 posts
3,583 battles

There's enough designs in there to make plenty of T9 and T10 Premiums out of Yamato alone. (Imagine the madness of it all.)

It was a pretty impressive article, some spelling/grammar mistakes aside. It once again makes for interesting discussion had just a few things been done differently or properly, such as better diesels, or Japan fully pursuing nuclear technology, or even Japan and Britain remaining buddies while America gets antsy about the relationship between two Empires. After all, even the British kept their own tech secret from America for a time, while Japan managed to know far more, until much later and new alliances formed.

So. IJN Montana with fictional AA refit as part of a second or third IJN BB line split when?

Just now, Amatsukaze_KaiNi said:

I could see Shinano have a potential to become a premium ship, but then again, you don't want to have many Yamato's...

You can never have enough Yamatos. Especially since a BB Shinano or even a later successor design would actually be different enough from the regular Yamato to be worthwhile. Shinano or a later successor (with improved TDS) would make for a perfect T10 "Massachusetts" style secondary battleship; having 10cm DPs and adjusted armoring improving some protection here and there. Trade-off would be lower main gun sigma and a still slower traverse (even if it's 60s rather than 72s).

Edited by YamatoA150

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
663 posts
7,781 battles
6 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

You can never have enough Yamatos. Especially since a BB Shinano or even a later successor design would actually be different enough from the regular Yamato to be worthwhile. Shinano or a later successor (with improved TDS) would make for a perfect T10 "Massachusetts" style secondary battleship; having 10cm DPs and adjusted armoring improving some protection here and there. Trade-off would be lower main gun sigma and a still slower traverse (even if it's 60s rather than 72s).

Yeah but with that many Yamato's (including Musashi, or imagine Shinano as well) you'd be expecting much of them to just snipe in the back...
Also, with Shinano being a secondary ship with that Mogami's turret as secondaries, I don't think that gimmick would or will actually work on Shinano... It's just like Musashi tbh but the citadel is located the same as Yamato judging how low she is on the water... But I think in my opinion to compensate that, a lesser armor probably XD (plus with that idea of yours with the turret traverse)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,370
[RKLES]
Members
7,540 posts
9,560 battles
5 minutes ago, Amatsukaze_KaiNi said:

Yeah but with that many Yamato's (including Musashi, or imagine Shinano as well) you'd be expecting much of them to just snipe in the back...
Also, with Shinano being a secondary ship with that Mogami's turret as secondaries, I don't think that gimmick would or will actually work on Shinano... It's just like Musashi tbh but the citadel is located the same as Yamato judging how low she is on the water... But I think in my opinion to compensate that, a lesser armor probably XD (plus with that idea of yours with the turret traverse)

Musashi Mogami turrets for Secondaries just need to be switched over to HE shells instead of AP, just like I said back before Musashi was released and I still stand by that. AP requires direct hit to do damage to DDs, but HE can do some damage with a near miss, which would have made Musashi Secondaries a little more effective, although still not up to Yamato Secondaries levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
663 posts
7,781 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Musashi Mogami turrets for Secondaries just need to be switched over to HE shells instead of AP, just like I said back before Musashi was released and I still stand by that. AP requires direct hit to do damage to DDs, but HE can do some damage with a near miss, which would have made Musashi Secondaries a little more effective, although still not up to Yamato Secondaries levels.

Was about to say that it's still inferior to Yamato's secondaries...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,496 posts
3,874 battles
2 hours ago, YamatoA150 said:

You can never have enough Yamatos. Especially since a BB Shinano or even a later successor design would actually be different enough from the regular Yamato to be worthwhile. Shinano or a later successor (with improved TDS) would make for a perfect T10 "Massachusetts" style secondary battleship; having 10cm DPs and adjusted armoring improving some protection here and there. Trade-off would be lower main gun sigma and a still slower traverse (even if it's 60s rather than 72s).

797 was supposed to mount 24 10cm DP guns- on each side. That would be the secondary fit to end all secondary fits, especially if 1/4 HE was pulled from IJN destroyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,113
[SPTR]
Members
3,496 posts
5,914 battles

"14cm Dual Purpose gun"

Go home Japan. You are drunk.

"type 3 shells"

This is why we are losing the war damnit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,518
[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,536 posts
3,583 battles
5 hours ago, Aetreus said:

797 was supposed to mount 24 10cm DP guns- on each side. That would be the secondary fit to end all secondary fits, especially if 1/4 HE was pulled from IJN destroyers.

Exactly. Counterbalanced by the typical Yamato-height citadel and still slow main gun turret traverse. And if necessary, lower main gun sigma while having better maneuverability (not quite historical, but maybe matching Massachusetts' maneuverability).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
969
[LEGIO]
Members
3,097 posts
5,726 battles

Looks like there isn't all that much agreement on the secondary armament of the later ships. There even seems to be some confusion over what exactly the final two BBs (798 and 799) were supposed to be. From what this article describes it looks like they started out as part of a third batch of improved Yamatos which also included 797 but then were changed to the A150 design which was originally going to be an 80,000+ ton standard load behemoth with 4x2 20" guns. Then some sanity intervened and they were downsized to what were basically improved Yamatos but with 3x2 20" guns. Then there were plans at one point to re-gun all of the Yamato class with that same armament. So in-theory there would have been very little difference between the A150s and the final member of the Yamato class if it was up-gunned. Of course the records are so incomplete that Japan could have easily changed these plans before dropping them altogether.

To me an armament of six 20" doesn't seem like a worthwhile improvement over nine 18".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×