You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

Fun idea for a paper? (suggestions)

15 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Need to write a monster paper for a class I'm taking:fish_nerv: I figured Id make it fun and try to do something themed with ancient navies or oceanic expansion, and see how that works. I thought Id try to do an ancient navy or naval force, but don't know much about em. I know there's some huge history buffs here, so... any suggestions? Timeline is beginning of humanity through the 16th century. Anything that will set me up nicely to make a 10 page monster is fair game!

Any other military related figures/movements/ideology/events are welcome too! Think twice write once right?

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[SF-A]
Members
2,848 posts
5,548 battles

I'm no history buff, but something like the Vikings' expeditions across segments of the Atlantic have fascinated me since I was a kid. Not sure that there's enough there for a paper of that magnitude, but it might catch your fancy.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
615 posts
7,709 battles

The Battle of Myeongnyang came just at the end of the 16th century, though a one-day battle might not be enough for a 10 pager.  Unless you focus on their admiral and his life leading up to and after it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,332 battles

O boi, we must be a freshman if we think a ten-page paper is a monster.  :P

Best thing is just to jump into doing some reading on general naval history then dive into what gets you interested, papers are easier to write when you're passionate on the subject.

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,583 battles
1 minute ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

O boi, we must be a freshman if we think a ten-page paper is a monster.  :P

Best thing is just to jump into doing some reading on general naval history then dive into what gets you interested, papers are easier to write when you're passionate on the subject.

This is the answer. Wait until you get to grad school (if you go) and you will laugh at a ten-page paper. My thesis had more than ten pages of citations. 

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,430 battles

@_1204_ Autobiographical ! I Captain Harcourt Fenton Mudd XX am a distant ancestor of Captain Harcourt (Harry) Fenton Mudd con man nemesis of Captain J T Kirk! 

I am as Harry Mudd is also a descendant of the first sea fairing Mudd of ancient times long past. The first Mudd was an Islander member of a population inhabiting a lush tropical paradise. At some point in his life near adulthood the Island was struck by a terrible storm and young Mudd was caught by surprise and unable to reach shelter or higher ground. In desperation he lashed himself to a sturdy coconut palm tree and prayed for the best. As the storm raged he was struck unconscious, the tree uprooted and swept out to sea. The storm passed and young Mudd found that he had washed ashore on an unfamiliar island. As he was freeing himself from the binding on the tree he was approached by a beautiful young woman. She silently guided him to her Village of many huts and ushered him to the largest hut in the center and struck a gong near its entry way. From inside the hut a male voice bid him to enter so he did. There upon an ornate throne sat a very old man. The King of the Island. He looked upon young Mudd , smiled and let out a jubilees series of chants. In just a few minutes young Mudd found himself surrounded by a throng of women some as aged as the King but most younger from mid adult to suckling infant, many bearing all sorts of delectable foods and drink and insisted he partake. As he did so the King told him that long ago he had arrived on the island much as he had and found it inhabited by only a few women and they took him in treated him as they were him now declared him King and provided him with many off spring. All girls. The King then proclaimed young Mudd Prince and took him to be his son and heir and presented him with the young woman that found him upon the beach. But enough of that, we both know where it is headed.

Mudd took it upon himself to fashion crude vessels from palm logs along with his, yes he had sons. They and the more adventurous of the women took to the seas and spread to countless islands and many a strange land! Thus began the long line of seafaring Mudds of which I am the 20th. 

If this story isn't True! It ought to be!

Good luck with written dissertation.  Let us know what grade you get!

Members
4,451 posts
6,152 battles

Topics that will have a LOT of info on the internet...lots:

1. Greeks at Salamis, defeat of Persia...ramming is COOL!  Unless you are the one getting rammed. 

2. Not so ancient but Trafalgar. 1805. NELSON! 

3. English defeat of the Spanish Armada 1588.  HUGE game changer....marked the ascendancy of the Brits to super power. Spain was never the same.  Also lotta cool stuff bout Queen Elizabeth I. Look at the film made bout 10 years ago...or more. Elizabeth I. 

4. Roman defeat of Carthage in the Punic Wars. Fascinating. Lots of naval stuff. Romans were bad azz. Innovative. Ruthless. 

This I assigned you cause there is a TON of info on these just a click away on internet. Don't copy!  Use your own words. I give F's if I see that a term paper is just copied. Can spot that in a heartbeat.

Good luck and carry on...:Smile_honoring:

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

Members
4,451 posts
6,152 battles
2 hours ago, pewpewpew42 said:

I'm no history buff, but something like the Vikings' expeditions across segments of the Atlantic have fascinated me since I was a kid. Not sure that there's enough there for a paper of that magnitude, but it might catch your fancy.

Excellent suggestion. Not only N America but Russia, Mediterranean, France, N Africa etc.  Man for 3 centuries they really got around. Ton of new research being done on their era. 

Edited by dmckay

Members
2,405 posts
2,199 battles

I always found the Korean turtle ships to be interesting. I've never done any research on them though, so i'm not sure how much information is circulating around on them. 

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,033 battles

One thing that might be interesting and enough for a major paper is the destruction (and the ramifications) of the Chinese Navy in the 1400s. Turning them from a major player in the world to an isolationist backwater for about 500 years. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
30 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

I always found the Korean turtle ships to be interesting. I've never done any research on them though, so i'm not sure how much information is circulating around on them. 

Then I have one name for you: Admiral Yi Sun-sin.

A strong candidate for the title of "Best Admiral Who Ever Lived" and subject of one of my favorite series that Extra History ever did (link below), the man was UNDEFEATED despite never having fought a naval battle before facing the Japanese invasion under Toyotomi Hideyoshi, basically used his numerically inferior navy to all-but single-handedly force the Japanese to halt their advance, and even managed to defeat a force of hundreds of Japanese ships with a mere TWELVE at the battle of Battle of Myeongnyang. For this he earned the undying admiration of his sailors and Chinese allies, a secure place as hero to Korea, and convinced the British that okay there might be an admiral as good as Horatio Nelson.

The man is pure awesome, and I HIGHLY recommend watching the Extra History series on him even if you don't choose him as your subject.

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 10:30 PM, dmckay said:

3. English defeat of the Spanish Armada 1588.  HUGE game changer....marked the ascendancy of the Brits to super power. Spain was never the same.  Also lotta cool stuff bout Queen Elizabeth I. Look at the film made bout 10 years ago...or more. Elizabeth I. 

Just picked. Thanks a bunch man! Looking forward to finding the origin/history of HE spam!:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Members
4,451 posts
6,152 battles
11 hours ago, _1204_ said:

Just picked. Thanks a bunch man! Looking forward to finding the origin/history of HE spam!:Smile_teethhappy:

Check out the film with Cate Blanchett made in bout 2007.  Elizabeth...The golden years.   The battle with the Armada is in that film plus some decent historical stuff that caused the dispute between her and Philip of Spain. Great performance by her. Good luck.