Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SaidNoOneEver

But what about fighters?

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

267
[OPRAH]
Members
1,027 posts
6,572 battles

So with the CVs getting their rework done, I'm curious to know what's going to happen to their fighters?  I thought i heard somewhere on the stream that they're going to be a consumable, but for what purpose?  I hope this doesn't get merged with the CV Rework thread because I would just like to know about this specific aspect of the CV rework.  Sorry in advance but i couldn't find an answer to my question via google search or in the forums; probably because this whole thing is still so new to people and the news of the rework is also very fresh.  Anyway, thanks in advance for those who have the answer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
759 posts
3,938 battles
1 minute ago, SaidNoOneEver said:

So with the CVs getting their rework done, I'm curious to know what's going to happen to their fighters?  I thought i heard somewhere on the stream that they're going to be a consumable, but for what purpose?  I hope this doesn't get merged with the CV Rework thread because I would just like to know about this specific aspect of the CV rework.  Sorry in advance but i couldn't find an answer to my question via google search or in the forums; probably because this whole thing is still so new to people and the news of the rework is also very fresh.  Anyway, thanks in advance for those who have the answer!

They will only exist to pull off cat fighters, until otherwise noted.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
267
[OPRAH]
Members
1,027 posts
6,572 battles
4 minutes ago, NATOMarksman said:

They will only exist to pull off cat fighters, until otherwise noted.

Thank you!  Have a +1, sir!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
317
[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

I am so glad fighters are getting changes, as that was the main cause of the skill gap. Strafing half your squads away, scouting, and scare tactics are the main reason noob cv players suffer against the pros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
139
[-AH-]
Members
664 posts
3,331 battles

From what I can tell, Fighters are a consumable your individual attack squadrons get when they are in the air. When used, fighters come and assist the bombers.

I'm not sure though because I thought I heard that fighters will also defend friendly ships so... I'm not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,432
[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,441 battles
6 minutes ago, Sir_Orrin said:

From what I can tell, Fighters are a consumable your individual attack squadrons get when they are in the air. When used, fighters come and assist the bombers.

Basically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
306
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
915 posts
6,285 battles

This whole thing sounds amazingly stupid. The biggest problems with CVs are being completely ignored.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,009
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,017 posts
11,538 battles
5 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

This whole thing sounds amazingly stupid. The biggest problems with CVs are being completely ignored.

Nobody can agree on what the biggest problems with CVers are, so...this is not an accurate statement.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
459
[WORX]
Members
1,632 posts
12,662 battles
8 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

This whole thing sounds amazingly stupid. The biggest problems with CVs are being completely ignored.

^^^ not accurate, the video is proof of concept not to address "problems". Problem solving will start in the beta testing phase of development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[-BMV-]
Members
177 posts
13,241 battles
12 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

This whole thing sounds amazingly stupid. The biggest problems with CVs are being completely ignored.

The video, and the entire idea behind it are merely conceptual design. Its still too early to even give a more in-depth analysis of it or even declare that its an stupid idea or that the sky is falling. Put the pitchforks away and wait.

I, for one, like the whole concept. I have some problems with that UFO kind of maneuverability and the way dive bombers go into their attack pattern. The video purposely doesn't show AP bombers, but it does depict rocket attack planes.

I'm of the idea that, given how the entire dive bomber drop mechanic works, AP bombers are either going to be more OP or they are going to be removed altogether. The again this is just my idea, obviously is too early to tell and i'm probably wrong, but that's still my opinion. The entire mechanic reminded me a lot of the Battle Station naval series.

All in all, it's still good to see them doing something about it. I really hope they also fix the post battle screen bug, the random crashes, that stupid never ending idiocy of ships rendering late or never rendering at all and Iron Duke's incorrect design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 minute ago, Sidelock said:

The video, and the entire idea behind it are merely conceptual design. Its still too early to even give a more in-depth analysis of it or even declare that its an stupid idea or that the sky is falling. Put the pitchforks away and wait.

I, for one, like the whole concept. I have some problems with that UFO kind of maneuverability and the way dive bombers go into their attack pattern. The video purposely doesn't show AP bombers, but it does depict rocket attack planes.

I'm of the idea that, given how the entire dive bomber drop mechanic works, AP bombers are either going to be more OP or they are going to be removed altogether. The again this is just my idea, obviously is too early to tell and i'm probably wrong, but that's still my opinion. The entire mechanic reminded me a lot of the Battle Station naval series.

All in all, it's still good to see them doing something about it. I really hope they also fix the post battle screen bug, the random crashes, that stupid never ending idiocy of ships rendering late or never rendering at all and Iron Duke's incorrect design.

It's WIP as we speak.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[-BMV-]
Members
177 posts
13,241 battles
1 minute ago, legoboy0401 said:

It's WIP as we speak.

Really?, well ill be dammed, finally they're addressing that stupid bug.

Edited by Sidelock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
4 minutes ago, Sidelock said:

Really?, well ill be dammed, finally they're addressing that stupid bug.

From the preliminary patch notes for 0.7.9.: 

 

Ship-Spotting Technology

In the Public Test of Update 0.7.9, we will have another stage of testing advanced ship-spotting technology. The purpose of this change is to remove the time delay between the appearance of the ship icon on the minimap and in the game. This will make the game experience more intuitive, logical, and comfortable for all users.

If testing is successful, we plan to introduce this change in version 0.7.9. Your feedback on this matter is very important to us!

Edited by legoboy0401

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[-BMV-]
Members
177 posts
13,241 battles
Just now, legoboy0401 said:

From the preliminary patch notes for 0.7.9.: 

Thanks, i completely missed that part. Well, i'm happy about it, it is annoying as hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
825
[SBS]
Members
2,404 posts
2,253 battles
22 minutes ago, Sir_Orrin said:

From what I can tell, Fighters are a consumable your individual attack squadrons get when they are in the air. When used, fighters come and assist the bombers.

I'm having trouble understanding the purpose of fighters at this point.  It seems you can call them in to protect your bombers, but from what threat?  The only fighters will be catapult fighters and what threat will they really pose?  I suppose they can greatly increase the damage the cat fighters can do?  The only way your planes, fighter or bombers, would ever dog fight is if you ran you fighters right into the enemy fighters.  That assumes the fighters will be attached to your bombers.

29 minutes ago, Sir_Orrin said:

I'm not sure though because I thought I heard that fighters will also defend friendly ships so... I'm not sure.

I was a little confused on that too.  Maybe when you call in your fighters they aren't attached to your bombers, but instead patrol around the area where you call them in. 

I have a feeling the idea of fighters as a consumable is only a placeholder until they get the new bomber game play working and balanced.  Since you don't run out of planes and you only control one squadron at a time there should be no reason to not allow playable fighters in the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
121
[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles
9 minutes ago, Sidelock said:

and Iron Duke's incorrect design.

You have piqued my interest, sir. How is the Iron Duke incorrect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[-BMV-]
Members
177 posts
13,241 battles
Just now, AtlanticRim said:

You have piqued my interest, sir. How is the Iron Duke incorrect?

The one in the game has 1 funnel. Iron Duke had 2

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 minute ago, Sidelock said:

The one in the game has 1 funnel. Iron Duke had 2

It's a fake(?) modernization, same as KMS BBs Tier IV-VII.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[-BMV-]
Members
177 posts
13,241 battles
3 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

It's a fake(?) modernization, same as KMS BBs Tier IV-VII.

It still bothers me as hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
Just now, Sidelock said:

It still bothers me as hell.

I understand. Is it like that on the A hull as well? For Bayern and Gneisenau, their stock hulls at least have some real elements to them. Bayern's in particular is nearly(if it isn't) 100% historically accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[-BMV-]
Members
177 posts
13,241 battles
19 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

I understand. Is it like that on the A hull as well?

Yes even on the A-hull. The reason for the lack of the second funnel is because the Iron Duke in the game has those two cranes behind her only funnel. Those cranes are in the place were the second funnel was. If i remember correctly neither the real Iron Duke nor any of the ships in her class had those cranes. They weren't present either on the Chilean Almirante Latorre class, which was a longer and up-gunned Iron Duke.

Edited by Sidelock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,011 posts
13,558 battles
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

but instead patrol around the area where you call them in

This is what I understand and also we get attack planes for rocket attacks against ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
267
[OPRAH]
Members
1,027 posts
6,572 battles

The way that consumable looks it seems as though the squadron calls in some "catapult fighters" that deal with the other spotter and catapult fighters.  Interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
111
[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
443 posts
946 battles
2 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'm having trouble understanding the purpose of fighters at this point.  It seems you can call them in to protect your bombers, but from what threat?  The only fighters will be catapult fighters and what threat will they really pose?  I suppose they can greatly increase the damage the cat fighters can do?  The only way your planes, fighter or bombers, would ever dog fight is if you ran you fighters right into the enemy fighters.  That assumes the fighters will be attached to your bombers.

I was a little confused on that too.  Maybe when you call in your fighters they aren't attached to your bombers, but instead patrol around the area where you call them in. 

I have a feeling the idea of fighters as a consumable is only a placeholder until they get the new bomber game play working and balanced.  Since you don't run out of planes and you only control one squadron at a time there should be no reason to not allow playable fighters in the game. 

You can call in the fighters to help take on the enemy CV's strike squadron as well, if you happen upon it.  It seemed pretty clear that they weren't going to let the fighter escorts be playable or able to be directed in any way, as they want to eliminate the overwhelming scouting power that current CVs have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×