You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDgamesD

Ran into a kind enemy Alaska ST

36 comments in this topic

[-TNG-]
Beta Testers
132 posts
5,250 battles

Ran into @Fog_Carrier_Hornet in the Alaska on the enemy team a match ago in my Yugumo, asked for a truce to come closer to get a good look at it, and both of us staying true to our words we didn't shoot/torpedo one another, though of course the enemy team still killed me (don't worry I still took a base and did some spotting prior i wasn't entirely useless), but shout out to them for being a real stand-up kinda guy about the situation. :cap_like:

• Cool 6

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,323 posts
9,387 battles

And then there is free-camera after death.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
1,114 posts
3,141 battles

I had an encounter with one this morning ;)

5b8da8bc93bfc_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_09.03-11_12_55_95.png.4f91b6e96fd46d5970f2c0502a2dd4a5.png

I was surrounded and enemies were closing in fast, thankfully @Notser came around the corner first and we started exchanging fire, both of us from about half health. I was broadside on, and his first salvo was AP. He got two good HE salvoes in after that which almost killed me (the khaba came around and got me before his secondaries could), but I had brought him down to 2k hp with 2 fires. Considering the options (run away and die later, or stay and fight a test ship) the choice was clear. 

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,871 posts
10,411 battles

Every time I see one several people go crazy about it or so it's stupid bc it killed them

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

The IJN Gunboat gunning down the IX Premium Alaska brought out some laughter :Smile_teethhappy:  I don't think that part is going up on any of Notser's upcoming vids :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,402 posts
25,221 battles

Does Alaska have radar? Got in game with one and didnt know. 

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,478 posts
8,034 battles
49 minutes ago, TheDgamesD said:

Ran into @Fog_Carrier_Hornet in the Alaska on the enemy team a match ago in my Yugumo, asked for a truce to come closer to get a good look at it, and both of us staying true to our words we didn't shoot/torpedo one another, though of course the enemy team still killed me (don't worry I still took a base and did some spotting prior i wasn't entirely useless), but shout out to them for being a real stand-up kinda guy about the situation. :cap_like:

Did you get any screenshots? And how's Alaska's camo? 

[5D]
Members
1,176 posts
7,086 battles
2 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

As of now (wip) yes it does. Standard US t9/10 radar.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
11 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Does a bear crap in the woods?

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,822 posts
3,502 battles
17 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Did you get any screenshots? And how's Alaska's camo? 

Threads like this should be required to have pics.

• Cool 1

Members
1,114 posts
3,141 battles
36 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The IJN Gunboat gunning down the IX Premium Alaska brought out some laughter :Smile_teethhappy:  I don't think that part is going up on any of Notser's upcoming vids :Smile_Default:

To be honest, I had to trade my ship to do that. Alaska will be more of a threat to IJN DD than the typical battleship. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles
22 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Yes.  You treat it the same way as a Missouri in terms of being a Radar threat.

Base detection range for Missouri and Alaska are both at 16.2km.  IIRC, with Stealth Build, MO goes down to around 12.2km so AK will be the same.  Both will have the same Tier IX 9.45km, 35 seconds Active time Radar.  You should have ample spotting advantage as a DD to not get caught by the Radar.  There's about a 2.75km detection / Radar range gap.  If you do get caught still, you deserve getting rekt :Smile_Default:

Members
3,617 posts
13,402 battles
19 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Does a bear crap in the woods?

bear-shitting-in-the-woods-240x180.jpg.d00b77df8cc806399054b84e4981aff0.jpg

• Funny 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,309 posts
11,403 battles

Notser has an Alaska video up on his YouTube channel. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles
16 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

To be honest, I had to trade my ship to do that. Alaska will be more of a threat to IJN DD than the typical battleship. 

Alaska is taking a Cruiser Slot :Smile_Default:

I don't think AK will be a more significant threat than the other USN Radar Cruisers in High Tier.  Unless she comes around an island to have surprises, she's not catching anyone.  Notser caught you in a bad losing situation with your team on its way to defeat, and you still gunned it down.  You said you were both at 50% HP, so your Haragumo with roughly at least 13k HP gunned down a 305mm armed Alaska with 30k HP driven by a Non-Potato.  You were in a lost scenario with enemies swarming and you still killed the 30k HP Cruiser.  You did fine.

Anyways, the normal, stealthier USN High Tier Cruisers are more dangerous Radar threats to a DD.  Worcester, Cleveland, Baltimore, Des Memes can actually creep up closer, especially Cleveland and Worcester.  Cleveland's Radar and stealth compliment each other, Worcester's Radar exceeds her Stealth concealment range, they're much more dangerous.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

I came upon one this morning, typed in chat, "Alaska confirmed". Unfortunately the player kept her way back most of the match... didn't want us to get a close look I guess.  :cap_haloween:

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,478 posts
8,034 battles
2 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

Threads like this should be required to have pics.

Yes! No PICs no occurrence!!!!:cap_horn:

[LUCK]
Members
1,274 posts
18,949 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

His flank collapsed - I think they were either looking at the AK and not shooting or waiting for him to carry them.

I had three separate battles today with AKs, sadly, none of them performed very well.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,478 posts
8,034 battles
27 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

His flank collapsed - I think they were either looking at the AK and not shooting or waiting for him to carry them.

I had three separate battles today with AKs, sadly, none of them performed very well.

Rarely do the initial wave of ST ships do so well do to shoot new shinny syndrome. With only 27mm plating Alaska is only as HE resistant as a DM with less health than a Missouri. Imo the HE pen buff on ijn 100mm guns was a big mistake as it nullifies the advantages of having 152 & ~203mm guns with or without IFHE. It would be better if WG gave the Akizuki line radar on top of smoke than better firepower than existing cruisers.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
435 posts
944 battles

Earlier this morning in Twitch, which didn't make Notser's video above, he stated that Alaska, like Kronstadt, is underpowered, especially compared to Stalingrad, and that he thinks Salem is a better premium cruiser than Alaska, especially from a DPM perspective...take that for what it's worth, your own mileage may vary.  One issue was with the Alaska's heavier AP, he was getting a lot of overpens on cruisers.

Edited by Bonfor

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,822 posts
3,502 battles
1 hour ago, Bonfor said:

Earlier this morning in Twitch, which didn't make Notser's video above, he stated that Alaska, like Kronstadt, is underpowered, especially compared to Stalingrad, and that he thinks Salem is a better premium cruiser than Alaska, especially from a DPM perspective...take that for what it's worth, your own mileage may vary.  One issue was with the Alaska's heavier AP, he was getting a lot of overpens on cruisers.

well the kronstadt is performing better than any other t9 CA so... thats just wrong.

Alaska seems to have chronic overpen issues that keep it from doing any consistent damage. see as the fuse time is the same as any CA, and the velocity is lowish, i imagine the fuse arm threshold is whats holding it back.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles
3 hours ago, Crokodone said:

Rarely do the initial wave of ST ships do so well do to shoot new shinny syndrome. With only 27mm plating Alaska is only as HE resistant as a DM with less health than a Missouri. Imo the HE pen buff on ijn 100mm guns was a big mistake as it nullifies the advantages of having 152 & ~203mm guns with or without IFHE. It would be better if WG gave the Akizuki line radar on top of smoke than better firepower than existing cruisers.

Giving Akizuki Line Radar instead of the current 100mm HE Pen would have resulted in a massive uproar from their own DD community.  Especially if they can keep it with Smoke.

Members
3,617 posts
13,402 battles

I saw a Alaska, not Elvis, in the wild in a match earlier tonight while driving Boise. The driver couldn't tell us anything due to NDA. I didn't see how well Alaska did since it was way over on the other side of the map. That Alaska did rank fairly high on the team though she didn't survive. I didn't either. (Got beaten to death by a Buffalo and another Boise, not by a BB for once)