You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Panzer1113

Weekly MM Tier 8 Rant

68 comments in this topic

[NOOOB]
Members
1,441 posts
12,097 battles

Usually try to avoid playing my tier 8 ships (when not ranked), but decided to take out my Roma - bought it awhile ago, even invested in the beer can camo, but it sits in port most of the time.  Took it out on a whim, 1st game tier 10 game on Ice - did what I could got deleted at end by dev strike from Repub.  Ok I thought, take it out again, maybe will get lucky this time... no another tier 10 match on ice - me and a Cleveland were the only tier 8s on the team, again did what I could - by now kinda pissed,took it out right away again, of course another tier 10 game.  Reminds me of why I try not to take out my tier 8s anymore - as a Solo you get up-tiered the majority of the time.  This is also why I will not buy any more tier 8 ships - it has nothing to do with being "challenged", or statements from experts on "how the guns are the same", it is about always being in the least competitive ships when sailing a tier 8, of how if feels that I have wasted money with WW purchasing these ships, since they sit in port most of the time.  So many of the events have had perm camo for tier 8 as one of the prizes, don't even care since why have it when it will only sit in port?  I love this game, but this aspect is the most frustrating part - and it really needs to be addressed.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[H_]
Members
709 posts

Agree, and as the only active division in our clan, we plays a lot of Tier 8.......or, well...., kind of tier 8......with all Tier 10 ships.....   All of the time.  I don't think we've seen a Tier 8 match where we are the dominant Tier since the Cruiser line split.  It's getting weirder and weirder every week.

heck, we got frustrated and decided to play a tier 5 match............after all, what could go wrong with a tier 5 match for Christ's sake !!!!  A division of Tier 7 radar cruisers...........a complete massacre.  Ah, we said, that can't happen more than once!  Next fiver matches at tier 5 saw no less than 2 Tier 7 radar ships and in one match, we were the only Tier 5 ships....  Now, I'm new to WoWs but me thinks, something is seriously amiss with WG since the Cruiser line split and the Radar meta explosion....  We've had a lot of players "leave to take an extended break" from the game (months now) and I have a bad feeling WG porked the pooch with this radar nonsense and the downward movement of the meta so that better clans and divisions of clans can farm efficiently lower....  It's why there are not enough tier 9 and 10's most times in random to make a match without 4 or 5 tier 8's....

Been like this for about a month now and to be honest, it's gotten old....

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I will send in the Cheerleaders

OLOdSgT.gif

They will be arriving SOONTM

WG has this thing about You as a Player don't know squat

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
1,178 posts
501 battles
16 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Agree, and as the only active division in our clan, we plays a lot of Tier 8.......or, well...., kind of tier 8......with all Tier 10 ships.....   All of the time.  I don't think we've seen a Tier 8 match where we are the dominant Tier since the Cruiser line split.  It's getting weirder and weirder every week.

heck, we got frustrated and decided to play a tier 5 match............after all, what could go wrong with a tier 5 match for Christ's sake !!!!  A division of Tier 7 radar cruisers...........a complete massacre.  Ah, we said, that can't happen more than once!  Next fiver matches at tier 5 saw no less than 2 Tier 7 radar ships and in one match, we were the only Tier 5 ships....  Now, I'm new to WoWs but me thinks, something is seriously amiss with WG since the Cruiser line split and the Radar meta explosion....  We've had a lot of players "leave to take an extended break" from the game (months now) and I have a bad feeling WG porked the pooch with this radar nonsense and the downward movement of the meta so that better clans and divisions of clans can farm efficiently lower....  It's why there are not enough tier 9 and 10's most times in random to make a match without 4 or 5 tier 8's....

Been like this for about a month now and to be honest, it's gotten old....

ya know.... when someone rants that much  some people tend to try and figure out why they hide their stats.... so I did.......

I digress...

so this MM ranting thing has been going on since day ONE, and I remember back then... it was WAYYYYYYY worse than it is now...

#1 STOP PLAYING TIER 5....
#2 PLAY TIER 4.... and stick with it for a WHILE...(see #3)
and

#3GIT GUD and you can easily survive tier 8.....

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Bad 6

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles
12 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

ya know.... when someone rants that much  some people tend to try and figure out why they hide their stats.... so I did.......

I digress...

so this MM ranting thing has been going on since day ONE, and I remember back then... it was WAYYYYYYY worse than it is now...

#1 STOP PLAYING TIER 5....
#2 PLAY TIER 4.... and stick with it for a WHILE...(see #3)
and

#3GIT GUD and you can easily survive tier 8.....

I liked the Old +/-3 MM with no tier protection.  Lots of ships were valid, but they all had to pay the price sometime or another, except Tier X, and they were Top Dog.

Anyways, I enjoy these MM rants.  Everything's fine when you got Bismarck, Tirpitz running over Tier VI BBs that can go 21kts max and being able to Overmatch them at any angle, or Tier VIII CVs going after Tier VI ships that have nonexistent AA, or 5.8km USN DDs, Akizuki, etc. from Tier VIII devouring Tier VI-VII DDs with their totally awesome 6.8km detection range in front of our eyes.  But the moment they got to face ships with actual power, "WHOOOOAAHHH NOW!  Let's not get hasty!"

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,228 posts
8,804 battles

Lert's tier 8 experiment came up with 37% top tier, 18% middle tier, and 45% bottom tier. Is 55% top or middle tier really that bad?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 5

Members
1,178 posts
501 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I liked the Old +/-3 MM with no tier protection.  Lots of ships were valid, but they all had to pay the price sometime or another, except Tier X, and they were Top Dog.

Anyways, I enjoy these MM rants.  Everything's fine when you got Bismarck, Tirpitz running over Tier VI BBs that can go 21kts max and being able to Overmatch them at any angle, or Tier VIII CVs going after Tier VI ships that have nonexistent AA, or 5.8km USN DDs, Akizuki, etc. from Tier VIII devouring Tier VI-VII DDs with their totally awesome 6.8km detection range in front of our eyes.  But the moment they got to face ships with actual power, "WHOOOOAAHHH NOW!  Let's not get hasty!"

OMG  I played that FIVE GAME thing for entries in the ship raffle with my BM....
no less than TWO CQE per game and 4 our of five were wins....
MAN I forgot how much fun that is to play... and every game I capped too.. [edited]

• Bad 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Lert's tier 8 experiment came up with 37% top tier, 18% middle tier, and 45% bottom tier. Is 55% top or middle tier really that bad?

Because people want 80%-100% Top Tier with their Tier VIII ships.  It's fine to beat up on New Mexico, but they don't want to face the wrath of Yamato, Montana, GK, etc.

They want to face the tiers where many DDs have 6.8km detection ranges.

They want to face the tiers where the vast majority of Cruisers don't even have Repair Party and easily get Overmatched.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 4

Members
1,178 posts
501 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

n8NeJj2.jpg

• Bad 1

Members
1,178 posts
501 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Because people want 80%-100% Top Tier with their Tier VIII ships.

not to mention tier 5..... LOLZ

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles
1 minute ago, neptunes_wrath said:

not to mention tier 5..... LOLZ

The current MM shafts Tier V so hard.  It's so bad that the only Tier V ships I actually respect are broken a.f. premiums:  Kamikaze / Fujin clones, and of course, Caesar.  Meanwhile New York is getting massacred.

But hey, people like their Tier VIIs also because they beat up on Tier V-VI.  Scharnhorst, KGV, Nelson as top tier?  Fiji, Belfast as top tier?  Kaga's Air Waves of Doom against Tier V ships?

Yeah, people like their slanted MM.

[INTEL]
Members
8,461 posts
25,354 battles
16 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Obviously, or so many players wouldn't be complaining, and switching away from T8. Since I gave up T8-10 battles my WOWs experience has improved dramatically. 

There seems to be a vast deficit of empathy. 

• Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,228 posts
8,804 battles
1 minute ago, Taichunger said:

Obviously, or so many players wouldn't be complaining, and switching away from T8. Since I gave up T8-10 battles my WOWs experience has improved dramatically. 

There seems to be a vast deficit of empathy. 

There is a lack of empathy because the majority of the MM rants really come down to wanting to always be top tier. It is a given that if WG did change to two tier MM that in short order people would be complaining about being bottom tier again, it is human nature..

[WOLF2]
Members
240 posts
4,230 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

There is a lack of empathy because the majority of the MM rants really come down to wanting to always be top tier. It is a given that if WG did change to two tier MM that in short order people would be complaining about being bottom tier again, it is human nature..

I'll add that Lert's experiment showed that you're top tier MORE than you should be in a true 33%/33%/33% breakdown.  Anyway, I also agree with your general sentiment.  I find most ships to be competitive against their +2 counterparts.  Not all, but most.  Are the +2's better, sure, but I've never felt underpowered or useless in the vast majority of +2 games I've been in.

[NOOOB]
Members
1,441 posts
12,097 battles
12 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That is not true - yes I want to have a turn at shooting tier 6 ships with my tier 8 - the thing that bothers me is that getting tiered into a 10 game happens the majority of the time - if it was somewhat even, would not have a problem with it - that every time I was top dog, would also have to experience being the little shih tzu… but that is not what I am experiencing

Edited by Panzer1113
  • Boring 1

Members
809 posts
2,616 battles

When I get in to play my T8s, if I get a few tier 10 matches in a row, I just sit in the questions and ingame issues chat for a bit or minimize the game for a bit. I got the odd top tiered match. Could be coincidence but it happens almost every time.

Been stickin with tier 8s as I am grinding xp to get my first tier 10 in Montana. Need 82k xp.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,228 posts
8,804 battles
3 minutes ago, real_icebeast said:

I'll add that Lert's experiment showed that you're top tier MORE than you should be in a true 33%/33%/33% breakdown.  Anyway, I also agree with your general sentiment.  I find most ships to be competitive against their +2 counterparts.  Not all, but most.  Are the +2's better, sure, but I've never felt underpowered or useless in the vast majority of +2 games I've been in.

Yeah, there are a few ships that need buffs or preferred MM.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,339 posts
11,493 battles

Roma rushes yammy,  bounces his shells and rams him. 123k damage 2 kill game.

Bismarck 142 secondary hits 8 fires 4 kills.... rams montana.

Asashio 1 cap 16 torpedo hits. 1 kill, the carrier.

Highlights of what can happen...

90% of the time it is gets spotted, receives a dev strike....

I feel the frustration and hope for the joys.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,340 posts
9,433 battles

Took my Lexington out in Co-Op to polish off a few XP needed for the last drop of the day.

Tier 10 battle...  FIVE BOTS on our team.

Out bots quickly died.  Then the humans.  I was the last player running from a Baltimore, Montana, and Monarch.  We had two caps.  Bots don't care about that -- they were chasing ME.

I killed off the Baltimore -- using the last of my torp planes.  Now it's wave after wave of AP bombers -- all my manual drop hits on the Montana were shatters and overpens.  Got a couple pens on the Monarch...  but still..  their heal was faster than I could bomb them.

Finally out of planes..,.  Sent the fighters in with the bombers to disperse the AA... Almost out of map to run....

Dooooo....   Doooooo.... Dooooo...    Doooooo....   Yyyyyeeeerrrrkkkk....   Game over.  We won...  Barely!

That was a tough 20 minutes.

Edited by AVR_Project

[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
650 posts
7,873 battles

T8 isn't too bad for T10's if playing solo.  It kind of fleshs out.  I play a lot of divisions and T8 is a T10 magnet.  By far most or our games are T10 matches.  Well over half.

[NG-NL]
Members
4,968 posts
8,109 battles
3 hours ago, Panzer1113 said:

Usually try to avoid playing my tier 8 ships (when not ranked), but decided to take out my Roma - bought it awhile ago, even invested in the beer can camo, but it sits in port most of the time.  Took it out on a whim, 1st game tier 10 game on Ice - did what I could got deleted at end by dev strike from Repub.  Ok I thought, take it out again, maybe will get lucky this time... no another tier 10 match on ice - me and a Cleveland were the only tier 8s on the team, again did what I could - by now kinda pissed,took it out right away again, of course another tier 10 game.  Reminds me of why I try not to take out my tier 8s anymore - as a Solo you get up-tiered the majority of the time.  This is also why I will not buy any more tier 8 ships - it has nothing to do with being "challenged", or statements from experts on "how the guns are the same", it is about always being in the least competitive ships when sailing a tier 8, of how if feels that I have wasted money with WW purchasing these ships, since they sit in port most of the time.  So many of the events have had perm camo for tier 8 as one of the prizes, don't even care since why have it when it will only sit in port?  I love this game, but this aspect is the most frustrating part - and it really needs to be addressed.

The problem is the captain. Not the MM.

It gets wearying, but you forget T8s enjoy a lot of facing T6s and T7-9 matches too.

Besides, this only became an annoyance when WG put protected MM on T3-4. Until WG sees fit to reverse it, their decision is final. T8 is competitive enough (save for a few ships) against T10s to be a credible threat.

[INTEL]
Members
8,461 posts
25,354 battles
18 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Nope. They come down to making T8 play a constant trial. Everyone understands that they won't be top tier every match. But they miss being top tier. 

I got Alabama this year and was really looking forward to playing it. According to my records, in my last 14 games, I've been uptiered two tiers 10 times. In Kutuzov eight of last twelve games were at T10, just 3 top tier. In Harekaze 6 of my last 11, and only one of those games was I top tier. 

The constant uptiering is tiresome, and why I've quit playing T8-10. I wanted to buy Roma and Gascogne but didn't see the point after my Alabama experience. 

I've switched to T7 only since T5 and T6 also have the same uptiering problem. My tier spread is entirely normal, I'm playing well, and the games are very enjoyable. Eventually more and more people will hit on this solution. 

We desperately need a one tier MM spread. Desperately.

• Cool 1

Members
809 posts
2,616 battles
2 hours ago, Reymu said:

It gets wearying, but you forget T8s enjoy a lot of facing T6s and T7

Lots? It's a rarity for my T8s to see T6s let alone T7s, solo or dived.

• Cool 1