Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Flint vs Belfast?

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

459
[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,126 posts
11,546 battles

No, belfast its the most "OP" with smoke+radar+hydro+good guns.
flint its just one atlanta with smoke and long range torps, and without radar.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
521
[LOU1]
Members
3,169 posts
8,432 battles

There is a difference in the smoke consumable (Flint shorter cool down - 30s).  Flint has better ROF.  Flint has Atlanta armor compared to Belfast armor.  Flint has higher arcs, IIRC.  Flint has better AA.

 

Edited by ExploratorOne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,171
Members
4,007 posts
14,839 battles

I don't do very well with Atlanta and I don't think I'd do any better with Flint. Belfast however... :cap_rambo::cap_horn::Smile_great::Smile_izmena::etc_red_button:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
165
[RMRGD]
Members
237 posts
17,338 battles

I have had flint for a while and its for sure been power creeped.  When it was first released there was so little radar it was for sure a little OP.   now with all the radar its not nearly as strong.  She is a good ship and can be used well.    But a belfast has a lot more options.  I have had belfast for a long time as well.   belfast > flint.   But I find the flint to be more fun.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
855 posts
3,733 battles

They both have been power creeped. When Belfast was first released you were very unlikely to see a radar ship in that tier of matchmaking. Along came Belfast with its fast firing guns, smoke and radar rekting things. At that time you still had stealth firing as well. Belfast got known as being OP cuz of ranked t7 play because radar.....

 

Remove ranked from your mind, factor in your typical run at playing a T7, you are going to see a ton of Clevelands and other radar ships which means that you should know how to deal with radar. With so much radar now-a-days radar is glossing some of its glare, not to mention a belfast sitting in its smoke, radar or not, is just as boned by radar as the mino is when its radared in smoke. 

 

I don't think either ship is OP, and I think you can make both work extremely well. They should resell the Belfast because the idea that its OP is a joke. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,179
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,906 posts
15,356 battles

The difference is Flint is a pretty decent damage dealer (ATL gunfire + smoke + actually respectable torpedo range), while Belfast has tools to be a nightmare for your Destroyers.  Farming damage off BBs is cool, but killing DDs to affect the chances of winning is more important.  Now, if a Flint falls into my account I wouldn't complain one bit, but Belfast is the more match-influencing ship between these two.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,112
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,328 posts
11,852 battles

Belfast is much better than Flint.  I don't feel the Flint is overpowered.  Belfast, is.

  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,772
[OO7]
Members
3,302 posts
9,758 battles

So Atlanta and flint are quite similar, I honestly think the Atlanta is better than the Belfast. Yeah, the Belfast is all around a better ship, but the Atlanta has a psychological effect on enemy teams. CVs avoid it for its aa, dds avoid it for its radar and bbs avoid it because they see the rainbow and taste the rainbow and don't like the rainbow and not many cruises want to get in a spot where the Atlanta can tee off on it. 

I kill more and get more damage in Belfast, but I have a higher win rate in Atlanta and I think it's because it can clear a good radius of the map and the enemy don't want to push into it. Granted, the Atlanta is one of the biggest Stat paddlers because so many people have but very few people are able to make it perform near its ceiling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
76
[_USS_]
Members
338 posts
10,308 battles

The Great Mikhail Kutozov finds this thread amusing

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
194
[SIDE]
Members
753 posts
3,480 battles
1 hour ago, Gary_P said:

The Great Mikhail Kutozov finds this thread amusing

Kutozov isn't as nearly as OP as it used to be now that it can spotted a mile away in it's own smoke. Also the Kutozov has the unfortunate placement of tier 8... and getting dragged into tier 10 games most of the time. lol 

At least the Flint and Belfast gets to play with tier 5-6 reliably and never sees the tier 10s. =p

Oh.... Also Belfast has an insane concealment build,  going down to 8.7 or 8.9 km concealment...

Edited by Merlox
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8
[ANKER]
Members
29 posts
7,722 battles

If you can play flint to its strength then it can do some damage, typically follow a dd to a island then use the island to loop shells while the dd spots.  Also the camo that you can get for it is pretty nice as well.

 

Also have a winfast as well i personally enjoy both ships tbh just gotta play the belfast a little passive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58
[WHB]
Beta Testers
265 posts
3,249 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 4:22 PM, Merlox said:

Kutozov isn't as nearly as OP as it used to be now that it can spotted a mile away in it's own smoke. Also the Kutozov has the unfortunate placement of tier 8... and getting dragged into tier 10 games most of the time. lol 

At least the Flint and Belfast gets to play with tier 5-6 reliably and never sees the tier 10s. =p

Oh.... Also Belfast has an insane concealment build,  going down to 8.7 or 8.9 km concealment...

If Kutozov uses its smoke properly and goes dark before losing its smoke cover......it is still a little OP in tier 10. She can fire further then most radar can reach. I fear no up tiering in my Kutozov and actually don't mind high tier matches, since more HP to farm. This is the only tier 8 I am cool being up tiered in. Kutozov in tier 8 matches is OP, no question.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
580
[WORX]
Members
2,009 posts
13,507 battles

Grab the Flint, She is an up graded version of the ATL. The Belfest is so so, but the Flint, is a must have all the way. Get the Flint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
449
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,073 posts
7,882 battles

For some reason DD players are drawn to Belfasts's smokes like moths to a flame. If most DD players were smarter then Belfast would be weaker than Flint but it isn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
565
[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
On 9/4/2018 at 5:27 AM, USSRichardNixon said:

Is Flint more OP than Belfast? I already have Belfast and Atlanta. I am wondering if i should work out in ranked to get steel to buy Flint or Black. 

I have both ships.  They play quite differently.  I think, overall, the Belfast is stronger only because it has the additional tool of radar to do some self-spotting.  But the Flint has better smoke - long emission time, and short downtime.  You just have to be careful to ensure that you dont block friendly line-of-sight to the enemy, or you cant shoot at stuff.  It also has torps to ambush enemy capital ships around corners - not enough to kill a full HP one, but enough to make them think twice - Belfast has nothing.  But, unlike the Atlanta, Flint torps have a bit of range so you can fire them down corridors and have a bit of standoff range with them too.  Flint (and Atlanta) have much better AA - essentially no fly zones.  But you still find yourself firing over islands quite a bit in a Flint, only because the alternative is just so dangerous - open water smoke just asks for torpedos, and the Flint (if running def AA) has no sonar...

 

On reflection, if you have the Atlanta already, you might want to pass on the Flint.  Whilst the two ships do play differently, they are sufficiently similar that the Steel price is pretty high.  You might want to save that precious steel for the Bon Jovi (Borgogne).

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
298
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,888 posts
8,344 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 4:48 PM, Driftwood1844 said:

I don't think either ship is OP, and I think you can make both work extremely well. They should resell the Belfast because the idea that its OP is a joke. 

I don't know about that, Belfast stil has a t8 upgrade slot and a t8 consumable load out at t7. Not to mention Belfast has a much better citadel arrangement than Neptune and Minotaur combined. In addition, The longer range on her guns allows Belfast more opportunities to use her smoke than Flint with her 11.1km range. 

A Flint still needs, CE, AFT and IFHE (16pts) to minimize the radar threat while Belfast, with her t8 module stealth slot can get away with a 10pt captain  and achieve better results with or without CE.

I'm sorry but Belfast should never be re-sold unless she is reintroduced at tier 9 under annother name.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
352
[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,046 posts
9,597 battles

I’d definitely take the Flint. She’s an Atlanta that doesn’t have to rely on islands for cover. That opens up a lot of possibilities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,179
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,906 posts
15,356 battles
8 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I have both ships.  They play quite differently.  I think, overall, the Belfast is stronger only because it has the additional tool of radar to do some self-spotting.  But the Flint has better smoke - long emission time, and short downtime.  You just have to be careful to ensure that you dont block friendly line-of-sight to the enemy, or you cant shoot at stuff.  It also has torps to ambush enemy capital ships around corners - not enough to kill a full HP one, but enough to make them think twice - Belfast has nothing.  But, unlike the Atlanta, Flint torps have a bit of range so you can fire them down corridors and have a bit of standoff range with them too.  Flint (and Atlanta) have much better AA - essentially no fly zones.  But you still find yourself firing over islands quite a bit in a Flint, only because the alternative is just so dangerous - open water smoke just asks for torpedos, and the Flint (if running def AA) has no sonar...

 

On reflection, if you have the Atlanta already, you might want to pass on the Flint.  Whilst the two ships do play differently, they are sufficiently similar that the Steel price is pretty high.  You might want to save that precious steel for the Bon Jovi (Borgogne).

I don't know why you got -1, but this is the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
428
[INTEL]
Members
871 posts
9,052 battles

 I dont see how this is a question. I have Belfast and Atlanta. I can think of exactly one situation where I'd rather be in an Atlanta/Flint. Point blank engagement where I cant miss and I can use torps.

 Flint can smoke in the open but needs a teammate to spot.

Belfast doesnt have to give up hydro... for anything.

Belfast doesn't lose turrets to every third hit.

Belfast has enough belt armor to bounce a few BB caliber AP.

Give me a Podvoisky, yes the T5 RU DD, and I'll pick a fight with any Atlanta or Flint driver on the server at 10k. I'll think hard about trying that on a Belfast.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,179
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,906 posts
15,356 battles
10 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

 I dont see how this is a question. I have Belfast and Atlanta. I can think of exactly one situation where I'd rather be in an Atlanta/Flint. Point blank engagement where I cant miss and I can use torps.

 Flint can smoke in the open but needs a teammate to spot.

Belfast doesnt have to give up hydro... for anything.

Belfast doesn't lose turrets to every third hit.

Belfast has enough belt armor to bounce a few BB caliber AP.

Give me a Podvoisky, yes the T5 RU DD, and I'll pick a fight with any Atlanta or Flint driver on the server at 10k. I'll think hard about trying that on a Belfast.

 

You remember how it was for ATL before her turrets got buffed to be tougher?  I remember eating salvos and 2-3 turrets getting knocked out or outright destroyed in one go :Smile_popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
606
[ARRGG]
Members
4,763 posts
7,689 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 4:22 PM, Merlox said:

Kutozov isn't as nearly as OP as it used to be now that it can spotted a mile away in it's own smoke. Also the Kutozov has the unfortunate placement of tier 8... and getting dragged into tier 10 games most of the time. lol 

At least the Flint and Belfast gets to play with tier 5-6 reliably and never sees the tier 10s. =p

Oh.... Also Belfast has an insane concealment build,  going down to 8.7 or 8.9 km concealment...

I loved the Kutuzov when it first came out but now being uptiered about 99% of the time for me I never play it.. I think that’s what Wows wants

the Belfast because of the combo smoke Hydro and Radar and it’s concealment with decent guns is still fun to play , never found it OP and any conversation that talked about it as OP usually revolved around its Radar which was rather unique back in its day but certainly not now .... so much Radar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×