You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

The Single Most Frustrating Thing In The Game, Bar None.

Basically handing the other team a win  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find yourself on occasion just randomly screwing over matches in a way you know you should be better than?

• usually.
    • part of the time.
    • usually not, but I have my moments.
    • I don't remember

23 comments in this topic

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

I know what you are thinking: "he's talking about Radar, or torpedo spam, or HE, or fires, or CVs, or Detonations, or MM, or potato teams, or..." No. I am not.

The single most frustrating thing(a phenomenon, really) in this game, bar none, is none of these. These are, for the most part, out of your control.

No, the single most frustrating thing in the game(in life, even) is abject failure. The kind of quite-frankly-bizarre utter incompetence that, when you know you should by all accounts be able to do something, bids you screw up spectacularly anyways.

I, for example, just utterly failed in a match in my brand-new Gneisenau last night, and I feel TERRIBLE about it.  We were losing I think 4 to 8, and I had plenty of health, and most enemies were cruisers(no DDs left at all) and were stuck where, to avoid grounding, they would have to pretty much always present a relatively shallow angle to my guns. Then an enemy Scharnhorst pops up with not much HP left at all, but I completely screw it up. First of all, he sends out his torps(I predict he sent them out to my left) and for whatever reason(habit, I guess) I hold control and click him for my secondaries while also at the same time holding down A(instead of D like I intended to do) and took 2 of his torps. That was in and of itself frustrating enough, but then I think he's going to try to torp me from the other side(I wasn't sure if he still had torps left) and so I try to turn left. I fire my AP(or TRY TO, anyways) at his superstructure at point-blank range, but somehow, it doesn't go where it's aimed(I think the shells chose to hit his angled belt instead), and for whatever reason, I didn't send out my torps and though I tried to dodge, he still managed to ram me and take me out of the fight permanently anyways.(this was in the middle of Estuary, by the way)

Our team's Konig was left to defend the base against maybe 5 cruisers and 2 BBs, and he complained(rightfully) that I did nothing to help him. I was a complete and utter yolo potato when I was just trying to get back to our base and defend. That match was a loss, unsurprisingly, and it was really ALL my fault. I completely lost the match for my when I should have been able to easily defeat the Scharn and go back to blapping cruisers left and right.

I FREAKING HATE when I screw over matches that should have been winnable.

I should have known better, and moreover I should have WON THAT easily, but instead I allowed myself to get out-maneuvered and out-fought by a low HP Scharn. I just, I just, I don't even..:Smile_sceptic::Smile_facepalm:I'm going to keep berating myself for it for a long time, that's for sure. I feel actually mentally dumber for having failed so terribly.

Does this kind of crap happen to anyone else? Or am i just the world's most terrible potato?

Legoboy0401

Edited by legoboy0401
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,904 posts
12,441 battles

Usually. My win rate is 90% a product of me being carried against my better efforts, kicking and screaming.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SIM]
Members
2,429 posts
4,060 battles

“Throwing” indicates that you intentionally did something to cause yourself to lose the match. What you’re describing is a misplay, and I’m pretty sure that it happens to everyone. 

• Cool 2

[TIBN]
Beta Testers
46 posts
4,731 battles

I did something that was so absolutely terrible, I couldn't stop laughing at how bad it was. I can't remember the boats but I was in a cruiser and a teammate was in (I believe) a fast BB. We were being chased by three or four other ships but we weren't in any extreme danger. My guns were pointing backwards doing the old wiggle, run and shoot and so, I didn't notice the island in front of us or where the teammate was positioned. I basically rammed him into the island. Now, these things happen and I felt really bad so I mashed the S button as quickly as possible to backup and change direction. At one point, my eyes were locked on the screen and didn't notice that my hand had shifted ever so slightly so when it came time to hit W, I hit E. I see my boat turning TOWARDS my beached teammate and instead of hitting Q, I kept hitting W and not understanding WHY I'm not turning.

I rammed him. Again.

This time, lodging him so deep into the island that he couldn't back out or do anything. He was stuck in the island with the other boats bearing down on us.

From a observer's perspective, it looked like those videos where one person is constantly, and at low speed,  ramming another car in a fit of road rage

I felt really bad but I also couldn't stop laughing at the utter failure of my actions.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
576 posts
7,294 battles

Throwing a match has traditionally meant deliberately losing. Not trying to correct your usage but to clear up any misunderstanding between that and just unintentionally doing something dumb.  I do it too often...

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
15 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

“Throwing” indicates that you intentionally did something to cause yourself to lose the match. What you’re describing is a misplay, and I’m pretty sure that it happens to everyone. 

Agreed.  Sometimes you zig to avoid something, when you should have zagged.  It happens. Don't berate yourself too much on those.  Understand what you did, and play on.

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles

Throw seems like you are playing for the other team. Fail is the word I would use.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,489 posts
2,045 battles

Frustrating is maybe the wrong word. I'm frustrated when I do everything I possibly can and the team manages to lose. I really kick myself and feel worse when I screw up and cost us the win. It doesn't happen often that I make the mistake that costs us the game, usually I do something stupid because I'm trying to recover what's already lost. But yeah, I really have to stop playing when I do something I know I shouldn't have done, get killed, and we lose. Recently I decided to flank in a cruiser. I knew there was a Monarch back there, and he was probably coming back into the game, and if he appeared he would spot me, put me in a crossfire, there would be no exit, and I'd be dead. I did it anyway, he appeared, and I died. It was a close game, and if I had stayed and supported instead of flanking we would have at least won the flank and possibly the game. Instead we just got rolled up.

Don't kick yourself too hard, it happens, and at least you recognize your mistake. Learn from it and hopefully we won't do it again (but probably will)

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
689 posts
6,093 battles

Shite happens dood...get over it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,136 posts
8,762 battles

Even the best players make mistakes although they make fewer than average players. Those mistakes are how mere mortals are able to beat unicums on occasion.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,928 posts
2,203 battles

I did a double stupid a few months ago.  In the bay in Killer Whale I was dueling the first Kolberg in T6 Cleveland.  Killed him (taking 1/3 damage) then turned the ship to bring guns on Kaiser -- and sideswiped a fleeing cargo ship!  Ram!  Cargo ship died and I survived.  Stupid enough, but I was so busy laughing I failed to notice that I was flooding out.  Much hilarity ensued on Discord.

Sometimes me not a potato but a bag of French fries. 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,097 posts
12,851 battles
2 hours ago, legoboy0401 said:

No, the single most frustrating thing in the game(in life, even) is abject failure. The kind of quite-frankly-bizarre utter incompetence that, when you know you should by all accounts be able to do something, bids you screw up spectacularly anyways.

I FREAKING HATE when I screw over matches that should have been winnable.

I think this is all perfectly normal,

Being human and prone to errors (sometimes several in a game) trying to coordinate with 11 other players equally prone to errors countering 12 of the same - it would be insane to expect otherwise.

Yes, we all look at the MM and sabotage ourselves at the start, random chat distracts us from clear thinking, we attempt to herd our team mates with little success, seek objectives with no support and generally TRY to play the game. Too often we experience mixed results - Games we should win we lose and games we should lose we win … go figure.

Personally, I know the harder I TRY - the worse it gets. If you have a mission or campaign to complete it becomes too much of a distraction. Worrying about stats and such is equally distracting.  Trying to farm for damage vs kills or saving your star is also a form of sabotage. There are so many ways to screw up your team - you could write a book about it. 

My experience is that after 2-3 losses and trying harder each time, the anger and frustration level takes over and rational constructive thought becomes more difficult. Losses lead to more losses and expectation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. We engage in negative thought and actions because we feel powerless. Time for a break :)

Everyone has ways to find their happy place and if you find yours that's great - this game seems designed to defeat even the best intentions and like life is largely beyond our control.

Now, where did I leave that DAMN SQUEEZE-TOY!!! :)

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
6 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

I think this is all perfectly normal,

Being human and prone to errors (sometimes several in a game) trying to coordinate with 11 other players equally prone to errors countering 12 of the same - it would be insane to expect otherwise.

Yes, we all look at the MM and sabotage ourselves at the start, random chat distracts us from clear thinking, we attempt to herd our team mates with little success, seek objectives with no support and generally TRY to play the game. Too often we experience mixed results - Games we should win we lose and games we should lose we win … go figure.

Personally, I know the harder I TRY - the worse it gets. If you have a mission or campaign to complete it becomes too much of a distraction. Worrying about stats and such is equally distracting.  Trying to farm for damage vs kills or saving your star is also a form of sabotage. There are so many ways to screw up your team - you could write a book about it. 

My experience is that after 2-3 losses and trying harder each time, the anger and frustration level takes over and rational constructive thought becomes more difficult. Losses lead to more losses and expectation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. We engage in negative thought and actions because we feel powerless. Time for a break :)

Everyone has ways to find their happy place and if you find yours that's great - this game seems designed to defeat even the best intentions and like life is largely beyond our control.

Now, where did I leave that DAMN SQUEEZE-TOY!!! :)

Yeah, I've had that happen in the most ridiculous match on Two Brothers.

I was in my AZ trying to make my way on to the flank that the rest of the team had lemming'd down, but I took concentrated fire from(what was it, it had to be 6+) oh, I don't even know how many ships because the enemy team had pretty much completely neglected to go on the flank that my team all went to, and I died early(and raged at them, it's to be expected when your entire team doesn't even give you a chance in a slow ship), and the battle was looking like a complete write-off, but somehow(I don't understand how, to this day) the enemy team didn't push hard enough, a few of my team came back, and eventually the enemy numbers thinned and we won, somehow.:Smile_sceptic:

It didn't matter to me though, for all I cared it was a loss, because I didn't get to do pretty much anything(5,000 damage) because my team left me far behind.

• Funny 1

[SCREW]
Members
538 posts
5,463 battles

Being saddled with team mates that are straight up detrimental to your success is by far the worst part of this game imho.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 minute ago, Sethanas said:

Being saddled with team mates that are straight up detrimental to your success is by far the worst part of this game imho.

Yeah, but that's out of your control. The most FRUSTRATING things are all things WITHIN your control, that you screw up even though you should know better.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,097 posts
12,851 battles
11 minutes ago, Sethanas said:

Part of the problem is we never get to know our team mates and they become objects of frustration and much salt. 

I do know that on a normal team, you get to know each others strengths and weaknesses and can execute a plan without much chatter. A good coach/team captain keeps the peace and everyone in line. We also are more forgiving of real people we know vs bots, potatoes, lemmings etc. I think WG creates a toxic soup and just throws us all into it - call it Russian fatalism :)

The OP is showing the kind of reflection you are lacking - he's viewing others as real people and himself as equally fallible.

Mayyyybe he's right? :)

Edited by Commander_367

[SCREW]
Members
538 posts
5,463 battles
5 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Yeah, but that's out of your control. The most FRUSTRATING things are all things WITHIN your control, that you screw up even though you should know better.

It doesn't frustrate me so much to make a mistake, the part that frustrates me is when I make a mistake and other's are made to pay for it, or when I'm made to pay for other's mistakes, especially when the mistakes are really dumb.

Just now, Commander_367 said:

The OP is showing the kind of reflection you are lacking - he's viewing others as real people and himself as equally fallible.

My reflection is just fine, I dont believe that someone else's failures in a PUG should ever cost me anything, and vice versa, just because I had a bad game I dont think that the rest of the players should be dragged down by that. I want merit based rewards, not some arbitrary result that's almost 50% based on the performance of the others on my random team.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,097 posts
12,851 battles
10 minutes ago, Sethanas said:

It doesn't frustrate me so much to make a mistake, the part that frustrates me is when I make a mistake and other's are made to pay for it, or when I'm made to pay for other's mistakes, especially when the mistakes are really dumb.

My reflection is just fine, I dont believe that someone else's failures in a PUG should ever cost me anything, and vice versa, just because I had a bad game I dont think that the rest of the players should be dragged down by that. I want merit based rewards, not some arbitrary result that's almost 50% based on the performance of the others on my random team.

So expect some fubar and carry harder?

Like it or not, for 20 minutes you're stuck with each other :)

Unless you want to play co-op 

Edited by Commander_367

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
5 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

So expect some fubar and carry harder?

Like it or not, for 20 minutes you're stuck with each other :)

Unless you want to play co-op 

I really like randoms, because for every idiot and rager(note that I myself can be one or both of those on any given day), there seems to be a genuinely nice person with great skill that likes to win, isn't salty if they lose, congratulate people who did a good job, even if they are on the other team, and likes a friendly chat.

Edited by legoboy0401
  • Cool 1