You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Florendo19

CV rework twitch reactions

41 comments in this topic

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,766 posts
12,470 battles

That looks more like Combat flight simulator as a arcade shootem up! Total [edited]!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,014 posts
13,583 battles

Actually...I think I like the change, at least it makes the CV game play way more interactive for the driver, maybe even more able to interact with his team mates on a strategic level. I welcome the change.

[HBR]
Members
5 posts
5,665 battles

Balance will make or break this.  CVs already have horrific balancing issues from tiers 8 on up and I'm really curious how they'll handle 4 torp strikes in rapid succession.  Other than that, wait and see what they can do with it I guess.  I do feel bad for dedicated CV players with a serious monetary investment (premiums), hopefully WG does right by them.

Also; official thread got locked pretty quick... :Smile_sceptic:

[STW-M]
Members
1,890 posts
5,666 battles

For me, a key question is whether or not, with enough ability, CV players will still be able to pull off monstrous games like before

Members
2 posts
2,774 battles

Very important question based on Sub_Octavian's responses to twitch chat, Will there be Russian CVs that release swarms of those deadly wasps?

[WPP]
Members
458 posts
5,133 battles

World of Tanks' last big overhaul means I can't play that game anymore.  I'm curious if these changes will be enough to knock me out of this game too.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[RKN]
Beta Testers
958 posts
8,779 battles

As a non CV player, I thing it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen war gaming do. Controlling each individual squadron like this is like controlling the azimuth and elevation of each torrent on your ship with the wsad keys. Not a fan. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,238 posts
8,804 battles
1 hour ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

For me, a key question is whether or not, with enough ability, CV players will still be able to pull off monstrous games like before

The real question is will the top players who were the ones pulling off those monstrous games be able to adapt? Well, actually will they want to? This looks interesting to me but then I suck at CV's.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,238 posts
8,804 battles
1 minute ago, SavageTactical said:

As a non CV player, I thing it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen war gaming do. Controlling each individual squadron like this is like controlling the azimuth and elevation of each torrent on your ship with the wsad keys. Not a fan. 

CV's were a micromanage's heaven before. This limits the direct control to a single squadron at a time.  

[CO_OP]
Members
28 posts
9,208 battles

I enjoyed the stream and how everything was playing out, but there wasn't a whole lot of AA stopping the attack runs. You see tons of shells flying all directions and sometimes not a hit on the planes, so hmm. 

[BOGG]
[BOGG]
Members
23 posts
3,858 battles

Turns CV play into a WoWP minigame inside WoWS...no thanks.  If I wanted to play WoWP, I'd go play that garbage game, not Ships.

• Cool 2

[WPP]
Members
458 posts
5,133 battles
25 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

So it's almost as dumb as unlimited ammo?  A crew that loads shells faster when the ship is about to go under?  Dumber than a spotter plane that make your guns shoot farther?  Or is it as dumb as a boat captain the needs retraining on an upgraded ship as well as the one he just left?

Also, what's a torrent?

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,894 battles
53 minutes ago, galspanic said:

World of Tanks' last big overhaul means I can't play that game anymore.  I'm curious if these changes will be enough to knock me out of this game too.

I don't see why.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,169 posts
1,654 battles
4 hours ago, galspanic said:

So it's almost as dumb as unlimited ammo?  A crew that loads shells faster when the ship is about to go under?  Dumber than a spotter plane that make your guns shoot farther?  Or is it as dumb as a boat captain the needs retraining on an upgraded ship as well as the one he just left?

Also, what's a torrent?

How is unlimited ammo dumb?  None of the ships we have in the game would run out of ammo within the time limits of the game.

Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles
11 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

In the same manner as now?  No.  The lack of alpha damage will prevent devastating strikes in the same manner as they occur now.  Now CV's will be dealing damage over time as opposed to single drops for huge payoffs.  This will also mean more planes shot down in the process,  meaning less damage in the long run.  BUT with that being said,  CV's should deal more consistent damage now,  without having to wait as long to launch another wave of attack planes.  But CV's also don't have to worry about enemy fighters anymore,  which means they can focus solely on dealing damage to enemy ships.  Players who are better at dodging incoming fire from mid and long range attacks will have more surviving planes,  and will deal more damage.  Players who fly straight at ships will lose more bombers,  resulting in less damage.  

You also have other potential issues,  like the silence on AP bombs which would hinder the Midways damage dealing capability.   On the overall I think we will see more consistent games from CV's with less outliers both on the high damage side and on the low damage side.  My big concern personally is not being able to control the CV directly.  That's...sorta how you dodge incoming torpedoes or start dealing with incoming planes.  With the loss of fighters the last thing I want to see is CV sniping come back.

Members
19 posts
7,962 battles
8 hours ago, Helstrem said:

How is unlimited ammo dumb?  None of the ships we have in the game would run out of ammo within the time limits of the game.

Some of the cruisers and destroyers that shoot like machine guns would likely run out of ammo. Des Moines just to make an example held 150 shells per gun at 5 seconds per round she most certainly could run out in under 20 mins. Torpedoes would most certainly run out as well. Take Shima it might of had 1-2 reloads tops and that would mean 45 torpedoes on that tiny ship but there is no freaking way she had 150 which she could launch at a rate of just once every 2 mins. Some of the ships clearly show spare torpedoes or containers that would of held them. Others do not have any way what so ever to reload them and yet in this game they are unlimited. Dumber is bb fighter caps lasting a whole 90 seconds. So catapult aircraft has extremely short flight times  but carriers are unlimited.

[P2W]
Beta Testers
32 posts
5,539 battles
I am really sorry they are dumbing down carrier play to make more people play it. It is a shame there will be no need for multiple squadron load outs, no coordinated multi squadron attacks, no scouting, no directing fighters to intercept other planes. No worry about loosing planes with an infinite number per carrier. I actually like the micromanagement. I does get kind of hectic at the upper levels. I guess I am in the extreme minority in my views and need to remember this is an Arcade game.

Beta Testers
154 posts
30 battles
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, ImaKillYou said:

Turns CV play into a WoWP minigame inside WoWS...no thanks.  If I wanted to play WoWP, I'd go play that garbage game, not Ships.

currently, its a RTS minigame so...why not play a RTS instead?

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
44 posts
8,545 battles

I'm open minded on the changes. CVs need massive changes, we all know it. I just don't know if these are the right changes. Some of the mechanics in cv's are currently wonky and weird and don't really work, unless its something you work at and just like to have the power to nuke some one. (we need to be honest about that)

CV's should be strategic, but playing in a map didn't seem right, it should be like chess but its own map. easier to control the squads, they were clunky before.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,169 posts
1,654 battles
On 9/4/2018 at 1:18 AM, Matthew_Kelly said:

Some of the cruisers and destroyers that shoot like machine guns would likely run out of ammo. Des Moines just to make an example held 150 shells per gun at 5 seconds per round she most certainly could run out in under 20 mins.

Have you ever seen a Des Moines fire every 5 seconds for more than 15 minutes of a 20 minute match?

No, I didn't think so.

A few ships could, in theory, run out, but in practice they would not.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 10:32 AM, BrushWolf said:

CV's were a micromanage's heaven before. This limits the direct control to a single squadron at a time.  

The new system looks like they can't tackle multiple tasks anymore, i.e. keeping planes over a DD and spotting all their torpedoes, while bombing some other dude on the other side of the map.  The CV can still be a problem against an individual ship, but it no longer can do this against multiple people.  If it wants to attack that BB over there with fury, it can.  If it wants to attack the DD over in this spot, it can.  But it can no longer do both.

The multi-tasking in the current game, along with the clumsy controls IMO really sets apart the Capt Avg Joe from the Good CV drivers.  I think it's a divide that the typical CV driver won't overcome.  It is why we get such lopsided CV performances regularly.

Another thing I saw was no hangar capacity?  Planes getting shot down but I didn't see any aircraft reserve counts like the current system.  That's fine by me.  So at least the mediocre CV player on your team will always be in play instead of getting deplaned by the other CV, or something like that.  It's annoying to see the CV on your team, due to 1-2 bad runs, are running out of planes and are irrelevant for the rest of the match while the enemy CV is running wild.