You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
oldfellow66

Disconnected by WoW and get teamkill penalty?

13 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
20,769 battles

So I start  a new battle this AM and get disconnected by WOW just as the battle begins. I try several times to reconnect, no luck. I wait an hour or so and try again success, only to find I've been assessed a teamkill penalty. This was not a problem with my internet connection only with the WOW server. Anybody else ever experience this? Perhaps someone can explain to me what happened. Thanks.

[S0L0]
Members
204 posts
5,275 battles

WG had changed their policy to where pink can be caused by:
Damaging Teammates
Outright Killing Teammates
and now, if you leave a battle early (or go AFK for more then 40-50% of the match, I think), no matter the reason.

It's nothing major, if you keep going pink for a consecutive amount of times you'll get a orange tag and will be locked to Co-op only. Just work off the pink. :)

• Cool 1

[-V1-]
Members
137 posts
4,431 battles

I understand WoWs goal but it totally fails to consider when a person must leave a game due to family, work, bathroom call, children, unexpected company, or other real-life important and time-sensitive event that demands their attention.    The current policy needs to be revisited and changed to reflect people's real lives.   After all, this is only a game in the end.

Another policy they need to revisit is fining for ship collisions.    Yesterday a game started and I was studying the team to see the plan unveil and had not yet given a command to start my ship when an Iowa steamed full throttle into my unstarted ship in a T-Bone collision striking me mid-ship.   Yet I was fined credits for the collision.    That is wrong by any sense of maritime or traffic laws and just plain human sense of fair play and this also needs to be rethought by WoWs.

• Bad 1

[GLF]
Beta Testers
520 posts
10,383 battles
32 minutes ago, oldfellow66 said:

So I start  a new battle this AM and get disconnected by WOW just as the battle begins. I try several times to reconnect, no luck. I wait an hour or so and try again success, only to find I've been assessed a teamkill penalty. This was not a problem with my internet connection only with the WOW server. Anybody else ever experience this? Perhaps someone can explain to me what happened. Thanks.

Yup, happened to me as well.....when I posted a reply to a similar complaint, I was told by a well known CC to "quit your whining".....surprized he has given you the same response yet

[REVY]
Members
935 posts
7,279 battles
12 minutes ago, ArcherDude said:

Yup, happened to me as well.....when I posted a reply to a similar complaint, I was told by a well known CC to "quit your whining".....surprized he has given you the same response yet

well he was right.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Members
17,712 posts
5,084 battles
22 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

I understand WoWs goal but it totally fails to consider when a person must leave a game due to family, work, bathroom call, children, unexpected company, or other real-life important and time-sensitive event that demands their attention.    The current policy needs to be revisited and changed to reflect people's real lives.   After all, this is only a game in the end.

That's right, it's only a game. So against some kind of household emergency, it's not even worth complaining about.

If your situation is such that you anticipate the possibility of interruption, then risking a penalty is your choice.

I game when my family is not home, or sleeping, because I don't care for interruptions. 

But if an interruption does occur, I couldn't care less about some minor penalty.

But there's thousands upon thousands of games that perfectly reflect peoples' real lives. Heck, you don't even need an internet connection to play them.

Another policy they need to revisit is fining for ship collisions.    Yesterday a game started and I was studying the team to see the plan unveil and had not yet given a command to start my ship when an Iowa steamed full throttle into my unstarted ship in a T-Bone collision striking me mid-ship.   Yet I was fined credits for the collision.    That is wrong by any sense of maritime or traffic laws....

So how would you differentiate between a case like yours, and a ship purposely placing themselves in position to be hit?

Besides, the "fine" isn't even a slap in the wrist. More like a feather-light caress.

• Cool 2

[KRAK]
Members
913 posts
12,895 battles
32 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

Another policy they need to revisit is fining for ship collisions.    Yesterday a game started and I was studying the team to see the plan unveil and had not yet given a command to start my ship when an Iowa steamed full throttle into my unstarted ship in a T-Bone collision striking me mid-ship.   Yet I was fined credits for the collision.    That is wrong by any sense of maritime or traffic laws and just plain human sense of fair play and this also needs to be rethought by WoWs.

I personally have gotten this warning a few times for disconnects, it is no big deal.

All the issues you mention for a possible afk are your problem not everyone else's in the match and the pink warning is only a couple games just deal with it.

WG has no way of knowing if you are about to wet yourself , your kid got hurt, you have a visitor or if you just went afk because you did not like the MM.  This will never affect you unless it becomes habitual.  The current policy is the best policy as it has tremendously cut back on the number of afk in matches.

The ship collision policy is also fine as it is. The fine is next to nothing unless you ram a teammate the whole match and so it deters those with less active braincells from constantly ramming others. Again WG has no way to decipher if you are accidentally ramming someone or it is intentional.

Edited by Vaffu
  • Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
2 hours ago, oldfellow66 said:

Anybody else ever experience this?

I had the same thing happen to me the day that WoW was messed up with players having matches where the results were never posted or tallied. Entered a match, server tossed me; re-entered the match only to be re-tossed; tried to re-enter the match and was told the server was unaccessable; kept trying and was either tossed out or denied access until finally I got to the server screen where the little blue dot rotates the WG emblem and it froze there. Was pink for two or three matches, honestly I don't remember which. And now it's over and everything works fine. Such is life.

Members
3,407 posts
6,067 battles
2 hours ago, dbw86 said:

Another policy they need to revisit is fining for ship collisions.

Only other choice they have is to do nothing at all when a player goes AFK or gets a disconnect (if you can get back into the game then you are not accessed a warning).  The game can't know why but so many complaining about AFK (most were likely disconnects) that they did this instead which is fine.  It is very light and penalizes people harder the more often they do it.

Ship collissions are fine - again - no way for the system to know intent like others have pointed out and the thing to remember is both ships get the fines - not just one ship.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,769 posts
12,872 battles

Pink is no big deal...seriously.

Perhaps a bad choice of words "Team Killer", as the original pink designation was mainly a TK penalty.  I think sometimes it's the phrase, not the penalty itself that irritates folks.  But once you realize the phrase used to describe the penalty (in the case of a disconnect) has nothing to do with a TK, then you will feel better about it.  Just realize it for what it is...especially as it's designed to filter out the true bad actors who game the system...then you'll be OK.

Average Joe will get caught here and there, sometimes through no fault of his own.  But when you consider how insignificant the penalty is compared to what it's designed to do, and how effective it really is, then it makes it that much easier to accept. 

Members
8 posts
2,997 battles

I just do this for the silly pink fines, I start another game and drive full speed up the middle, repeat until pink is gone.  Hows that WoW for game play.  Dont get me started on radar.

[CAST]
Members
1,155 posts
7,152 battles

Pink for a disconnect isn't anything to worry about.  If it becomes a constant occurrence, then there will be greater consequences, which is what the penalty is designed for.

6 hours ago, Fetzer_Valve_ said:

I just do this for the silly pink fines, I start another game and drive full speed up the middle, repeat until pink is gone.  Hows that WoW for game play.  Dont get me started on radar.

That could get you a report for unsportsmanlike conduct, and if investigated could get a much worst penalty assessed.  By yoloing, you are acting like a spoiled child that didn't get their way.  It's like stomping up and down shouting "I'll show them", meaning to hurt WOWS, but all you are really doing is hurting the other players on your team that are on your side.