You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
turbo07

Worcester — American Tier X cruiser.

12 comments in this topic

Community Department
2,002 posts
498 battles

Worcester — American Tier X cruiser.

The world's largest light cruiser. She carried 152 mm dual-purpose artillery as her main battery, supplemented by a great number of automatic 76 mm guns. She had the most powerful AA defense among ships of her type.
Worcester_wows_main.jpg&key=6a723bc0a75e
WGWiki

This topic is the starting point for discussing this type of cruisers.
When a full-fledged guide appears, this topic will be replaced.

[ACES]
[ACES]
Beta Testers
5 posts
3,153 battles

So the legendary mod takes out your detection slot. Is it worth it? 

[RO-I]
Members
99 posts
6,728 battles

The Worcester is so weak compared to other tier 10 cruisers.  Just being seen by a BB is a death sentence .  Fast firing guns are good but they need more punch.  It takes forever to wear down a ship; even a cruiser.  I just picked up the legendary upgrade but now think I may not use it because I have to give up concealment.  I would have rather given up AA.  WG gives something good but takes away something better.

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,394 battles
On 10/8/2018 at 8:58 PM, 0658 said:

The Worcester is so weak compared to other tier 10 cruisers.  Just being seen by a BB is a death sentence .  Fast firing guns are good but they need more punch.  It takes forever to wear down a ship; even a cruiser.  I just picked up the legendary upgrade but now think I may not use it because I have to give up concealment.  I would have rather given up AA.  WG gives something good but takes away something better.

The ship is demanding in positioning just like Des Moines.  But I find her quite a bit more flexible than Des moines due to concealment range < radar range. However, it will be nerfed and I don't see too much point playing her over Des Moines.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,498 battles
On 10/10/2018 at 7:20 PM, Exciton8964 said:

The ship is demanding in positioning just like Des Moines.  But I find her quite a bit more flexible than Des moines due to concealment range < radar range. However, it will be nerfed and I don't see too much point playing her over Des Moines.

You may be right about Worcester getting nerfed... it’s the only ship I sometimes feel guilty playing burning down other ships .. mostly BBS , have a 19 point Special Captain in it and usually play out in the open with best rudder shift and avoiding shots ... seems to work especially with support 

[POET]
Members
1 post
4,033 battles

Guys, general thoughts on Worcester vs. Des Moines?

And what about the Minotaur?

[WORX]
Members
1,627 posts
12,630 battles

Worcester,

• small guns
  • forgiving to incoming DMG for new players. (identity crisis should be a light cruiser but it takes DMG like a heavy).
  • She can surely do DMG to BBs with fire.

De Moines, 

• Big guns,
  • nice support role ship,
  • nice Cruiser delete ship (when your BBs are not doing it).
  • A bit if a identity crisis on her as well with the Worcester. The DM gets focused a lot by BBs and those with high caliber guns. She cant handle DMG well, her gun placement also gives you limited offensive options.

Minotuar

• Other then the DM or Worcester. THis cruiser/DD is the original must hated ship at tier X. It takes the top spot in the mushy armor dept (DM second, Worcester third). 
  • Versatile ship
  • Needs more cpt. attention to master then the others.
  • Play it as a DD and you have a blast (at least for me anyway)
Edited by Navalpride33

[70]
Members
959 posts
3,691 battles

This thing's ability to radar-shank DDs is why CE is being nerfed to 10% for all classes. Can't has a USN ship being able to do that to Glorious Khabarovsk, pah!

[WOLFB]
Members
15 posts
7,839 battles

The stupid thing is that with the CE nerf, Worcester is now no longer viable in any sort of cap contesting capacity. 9km radar and what will probably become a 10km concealment is NOT functional for a cruiser this lightly armored. People complain about Wooster hiding behind islands, but they support taking away the only thing that encouraged it to come out and support DDs in caps to begin with. Stop kowtowing to bad DD players and give Worcester back its former radar range and make it comparable to the Des Moines again.

Edited by Axiom808

[70]
Members
959 posts
3,691 battles
On 10/25/2018 at 9:34 PM, Axiom808 said:

Stop kowtowing to bad DD players

You meant to say RUSSIAN DD players.

[WOLFB]
Members
15 posts
7,839 battles

I would honestly suggest changing the radar nerf in one of two ways:

1) raise the radar range back to 9.9km and increase worcester max concealment to 9.9 km (preventing stealth radar while keeping radar utility like the Des Moines,

or 2) increase radar range to 9.5 km and leave Worcester concealment the same (also eliminating stealth radar). I'm personally in favor of option one, as it benefits two groups. It benefits worcester players by allowing them to cap contest like the des moines does while also preventing stealth radar and murdering dd's without any warning.

Edited by Axiom808