You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cthuhulu

Rank 10

14 comments in this topic

[GN_BR]
Members
125 posts
4,616 battles

Finally made it to rank 10 which has been my historical stopping point for ranked. Took longer this time as my win rate dropped from 55% average from past ranked seasons to around 50% this season. Has anyone seen an improvement in quality of play at rank 10 and above or is the frustration still too great to press on?

[PSP]
Members
6,043 posts
8,585 battles

I got to rank 9 and the teams were the same the previous ones. I never could get past 9 and fell back to 10. 10 is where I've been most Ranked seasons (one I didn't have the time and only got to 13). 10 is a good place to get to because it gets you the -10% cost flag and ensures a bunch of free goodies in the next season. That's it for Ranked for me this season.

The main thing I don't like about Ranked is that some people take it way too seriously and are consummate jerks in chat. The think I do like about Ranked is the smaller team size and when you do get a good, communicative, and friendly team it's a pleasure to play with them.

[CVA16]
Members
2,750 posts
6,249 battles
24 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

Finally made it to rank 10 which has been my historical stopping point for ranked. Took longer this time as my win rate dropped from 55% average from past ranked seasons to around 50% this season. Has anyone seen an improvement in quality of play at rank 10 and above or is the frustration still too great to press on?

Great Captain. Ranked can be rough. Press on as long as you enjoy it.

[CVA16]
Members
2,750 posts
6,249 battles
20 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The main thing I don't like about Ranked is that some people take it way too seriously

Well said. It's a game. We all look forward to ranked in our own sorted way.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,695 battles

Been trying to get one more rank to get enough steel to buy Flint but the DDs can't find the brains or self respect to live past 5 min. So i play DD but then the BBs drive up the middle and donkey off all their health.  It's like WG goes out of their way to market to special needs customers.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I pulled my win rate up to 64% this season but played a historically low 25 battles to get to rank 10- my usual jump off point. Still 25 battles more than I want to play but some dubs, signals and a flag I need to throw away when the season is done almost make it worthwhile. 

Republique responded really well for me and while my damage levels weren’t splendid compared to those who know what they’re doing in her I found I was able to do damage when it needed to be done thanks in no small part to its ability to overmatch.

Edited by _ENO_

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,704 battles

I've found a MARKED difference at rank 10. The level of play is much higher (usually) than rank 11.

I'm gonna soldier on to get rank 5 at least, if I can.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,704 battles
9 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Been trying to get one more rank to get enough steel to buy Flint but the DDs can't find the brains or self respect to live past 5 min. So i play DD but then the BBs drive up the middle and donkey off all their health.  It's like WG goes out of their way to market to special needs customers.

Sometimes you forget how much easier this game is for you than it can be for others. You are just naturally great at this. 

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,695 battles
15 minutes ago, legozer said:

Sometimes you forget how much easier this game is for you than it can be for others. You are just naturally great at this. 

You don't need to be naturally good to live past 5 min. You just need to have a slightly higher intelligence than a speed bump.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,704 battles
11 minutes ago, VGLance said:

You don't need to be naturally good to live past 5 min. You just need to have a slightly higher intelligence than a speed bump.

Tough but fair.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

they are all the same...........

r10 bracket right now are as bad as r15 ones.....

Members
202 posts
2,700 battles

Yeah, rank 10 is better than rank 15.

I suggest enjoying it while you can. Rank 5 right now is... interesting. The quality of players is much much higher, and unfortunately the ship meta is much much tougher. My win rate up until rank 5 was something like 65ish%. Mostly playing DD.

For me rank 5 is a literal coin flip. Worcesters are the REAL issue. Competent ones are terrifying. All those times you thought you knew how people played, thinking, "Yeah, it would be real inconvenient if he got all the way up here, but that never happens" turns out to be pretty wrong. It's throwing my DD play for a loop honestly, and the pressure to perform as well as purples in my Hindy when I know I'm not that good is rough. Also all the BBs know how to shoot. It's the biggest jump in expected play I've ever experienced. Suddenly being moderately above average doesn't mean anything.

It is interesting to examine the plays however. I'm not sure how much of it I can bring to randoms or CW. It's one thing to make anticipatory plays for an average crowd, and another assuming a field of good to excellent players.

Members
321 posts
6,069 battles

At my normal play times (early AM EDT), the server pop is pretty low, so the Tier 10 matches are frequently the same 30ish guys or so,  being shuffled around on the teams.  Usually after a couple matches, I can gauge the caliber of players in the queue at the time, and pretty much stopped after losing 10, and regaining it.  I haven't played this weekend at all, because of the holiday, weekend warriors, and really just had to much going on. I think I have gained a few pounds from all the cookouts, and there is still one more day of them to go lol.

[VW]
Members
1,843 posts
12,290 battles

I couldn’t get a rank 9 match this weekend during daytime hours. Said only 14 ish people in range, however only 10 ships in q. Others experiencing this?