Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
komm_damit_klar

Kitakaze Captain Skills?

14 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
2,596 battles

My Kitakaze captain has Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush, Basic Fire Training, Inertial Fuse High Explosive. He almost has 4 more skill points to use.  Should I get Advanced Fire Training to extend the gun range or Concealment Expert to reduce my 6.6km concealment? Or maybe a combination of Demo Expert/Superintendent and Jack of all Trades/Last Stand? I'm kind of new and still learning the ins and outs of the game. 

As a side note, I haven't been able to ping the minimap.  Clicking, double-clicking it doesn't work for me.

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,405 posts
4,294 battles

My suggestion is:

1. Priority target

2. Last Stand

3. BFT

4. IFHE or CE depending on whether you want stealth first or more dakka

5. IFHE or CE, whichever you didn't pick before

6. AR

7. DE

and if you want a pure gunboat build, substitute CE for AFT.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles

I don't have Kitakaze (yet) but my captain going to her has IFHE and CE. Rather have (forget CE's DD bonus) .6-.7/8 lower range of a ship spotting me than adding 2.5 km to the range I'm spotted at when I fire my guns for the next 20 seconds. More flexibility when contesting caps, scouting, DD hunting or stealth attacking a BB. Plus, further out your shooting, more the rounds disperse. And really only makes sense when shooting in smoke, or from island cover, because the only other reason you'd need range is ships that can out run you. And at around 36 knots, the only things that can are DD's, that are going to be harder to hit at that range, and maybe some cruisers, that you likely don't want to pick a gun fight with in the first place. 

But that's my opinion. 

Members
2 posts
2,596 battles

Thanks for your insights. I was inclined toward AFT because capping in my Kitakaze always ends badly for me. When I stay outside to support another DD or snipe, I get 90-100k damage. I was thinking a few extra km range would help keep pressure on fat BBs. The concealment is already better than my Akizuki (6.6 v 6.8) but better concealment might help me flee and survive more.

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles

In which order should I take the upgrades? All 3 look very useful. Which one is needed first?

Beta Testers
955 posts
3,281 battles

Personally I think that CE + IFHE are both required skills. I use demolition expert as well, but that's more of a personal preference. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles
2 hours ago, RevolutionBlues said:

Personally I think that CE + IFHE are both required skills. I use demolition expert as well, but that's more of a personal preference. 

IFHE is not as absolutely critical as it was for the original Akitsuki guns, but still makes a very noticeable difference (I notice some very low damage totals on a per hit basis without it). This means a 14pt captain is still pretty much a requirement.

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
284 posts
9,101 battles

Since DE only provides a 2% fire chance to an abysmal 4% I use 

PM,AR,LS,SE,BFT,IFHE and CE   this works for me

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles
2 hours ago, Gary_P said:

Since DE only provides a 2% fire chance to an abysmal 4% I use 

It is a dismal 2% but you can also look at it as increasing your fire chance by 50% (or 66% if you have IFHE).  If you don't have IFHE, fires may be your main source of damage. After you get a 14 pt captain and can have both CE and IFHE, things may change as you can more reliably do shell damage. BFT and SE have their uses also so it is a matter of choice.

Members
74 posts
9,814 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 8:00 AM, Sabot_100 said:

In which order should I take the upgrades? All 3 look very useful. Which one is needed first?

For upgrade slot 6:

12% reload reduction is best, unless you want to shoot out to 14.5km (or 17.5km w/AFT). Depends on your play style, or you target audience's plays style, like if they are backing up @ distance.

Arsenal upgrades:

Speed boost: increase time to 150%. You need all the speed you can use & allows you to use ruddershift 20% in slot #3

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles
13 minutes ago, teleStraightShooter said:

For upgrade slot 6:

12% reload reduction is best, unless you want to shoot out to 14.5km (or 17.5km w/AFT). Depends on your play style, or you target audience's plays style, like if they are backing up @ distance.

Arsenal upgrades:

Speed boost: increase time to 150%. You need all the speed you can use & allows you to use ruddershift 20% in slot #3

Good for the future. I'll check into what I have the resources for.

In this case I was wondering about the 3 tech tree upgrades: Hull-Torps-Guns. Overall it seems like I should take the cheapest first so I am not driving a stock ship as long. It take a while for me to build up the XP for all 3.

Edited by Sabot_100

[ICBM]
Members
300 posts
4,849 battles
1 hour ago, teleStraightShooter said:

For upgrade slot 6:

Arsenal upgrades:

Wait... are you open water gunboating with your build?

Members
74 posts
9,814 battles
2 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

Wait... are you open water gunboating with your build?

Absolutely 

Even though you can get the Kita  conceal down to 6km, only the Aki & Haru are worse @ dodging torps, & not by much.

Kita's rudderShift & turn radius is simular to pre 7.8 nerf of Aki's; Kita is just 3 knots faster.  If your trying to cap w/ Kita your gonna eat torps.

Its built to backup a DD, who can spot the enemy (& its torps) & you hammer it.

Edited by teleStraightShooter

[HEROS]
Members
1,400 posts
11,820 battles

Agreed, your best job is backing up other DD's and no one does it better.  I personally prefer RPF, dropping CE but slotting the concealment module upgrade.

With RPF I generally have a good idea when someone sneaking on me.  With out the extra concealment I'm less tempted to take my large un-maneuverable IJN Gunboat DD in any closer then I absolutely need to be.  You concealment with be sufficient to let you go dark from cruiser and BB counterfire.. and any DD that chooses to chase you unless it another IJN gunboat DD really doesn't want to catch you.. hopefully because catching you means exposing them selves to allied fire.

Theres knife fighting which this ship really want to avoid... just not nimble that way. 

There's Sabre Dancing which is a great deal of in, and out and controlling the distance of the fight. more of a Harekaze,Kagero,Yugumo play style and skirting the ragged edge of over aggressiveness.  Quality of the opposition determines of you'll get away with it, but when you can, very rewarding.

And then there is "Hey look, I'm almost a light cruiser!" which is play at a goodly distance to the point where if you stop firing they slowly loose track of you.  Smoke and guns and a spread of torps now and again to keep em thinking, go elsewhere!.  And you will get torp hits.  Strongly suggest the 12K torps.  The 20K torps are best used to herd the cattle..err capital ships.  Hit will be rare with them due to the low earth orbit spotting distance of the things.

Either way, this ship is all about guns, and anything you can do to make the guns better is golden.  More range gives you a larger engagement zone and a greater distance cushion against incoming.  Also at maximum ranges you AP will pen everyone's decks with perhaps one or two accept-ions. Now be aware IFHE is not absolutely needed anymore with this ship.  You can get by without it, and you will start more fires without it. and still pen the superstructure of most of the big ships out there.  

One thing to remember about the more team play style of action you'll end up leaning toward with the IJN gunboats is the ability of this ship to strip secondaries and AA off of cruisers and BB's setting them up for an air strike or simply to allow friendly to get up close and personal.  A BB stripped of secondaries is lunch for lucky close range DD drivers.  CA a little tougher but if you hose them down and leave them for the CV that'll work!

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this