You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JackG79

Battleship ROMA

32 comments in this topic

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles

So I have been considering a ROMA.  They are currently in the Shop for $57.00 with a commander and a few other goodies.  Or... you can get it with nothing for 57.00   I have been seeing a lot of stuff going on sale lately but not these. Does anyone know when the ROma will go on sale for a reasonable price??   Thanks guys!   

Jack 

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,913 battles

you mean a tier8 premium ship discount?it's very rare if i can remember,MOST OF THE TIME you can't go cheaper than the ship only deal.

Members
1,587 posts
4,345 battles

Roma is gorgeous with a manly horn...buy her and overpen all the things.

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,913 battles
1 minute ago, Mahrs said:

buy her and overpen all the things.

or you can buy her french cousin gascogne and overpen everything too.

SUPER FUN.

Members
1,587 posts
4,345 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

or you can buy her french cousin gascogne and overpen everything too.

SUPER FUN.

Yes!  Nothing better than dealing with wonky dispersion to actually make the hit...and watch it do virtually no damage.  Gotta save those cruisers from themselves ;-).  

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles
35 minutes ago, JackG79 said:

So I have been considering a ROMA.  They are currently in the Shop for $57.00 with a commander and a few other goodies.  Or... you can get it with nothing for 57.00   I have been seeing a lot of stuff going on sale lately but not these. Does anyone know when the ROma will go on sale for a reasonable price??   Thanks guys!   

Jack 

You can buy it for 13,100 Doubloons from the tech tree.

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

Oh so pretty....and one my great grandfather would have seen in real life before he went down with his sub. Just to many ships and not enough cash, LOL. 

[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,879 battles
44 minutes ago, JackG79 said:

Jack 

If you haven’t used it already, check the Arsenal to see if you have a single ship discount voucher - using them on a T8 premium ship gives the best bang for the buck (in absolute terms). 

Otherwise, ship sales on T8s are fairly rare and only like 10 per cent or so. Use the voucher if you’ve got it. 

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,913 battles
11 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

If you haven’t used it already, check the Arsenal to see if you have a single ship discount voucher - using them on a T8 premium ship gives the best bang for the buck (in absolute terms). 

Otherwise, ship sales on T8s are fairly rare and only like 10 per cent or so. Use the voucher if you’ve got it. 

does that work on premium shop?i thought it only worked on arsenal ships.

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles
20 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You can buy it for 13,100 Doubloons from the tech tree.

13,500 doubloons, AKA  $59.00 

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles
21 minutes ago, JackG79 said:

13,500 doubloons, AKA  $59.00 

Not if you can buy the doubloons at a discount. Admirals bounty is on sale for $53.62 30 days premium and 13,500 doubloons. So $53.62 for the ship and you get 30 days premium time to boot. My tech tree says it's 13,100 doubloons.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Roma is the kv2 of warships, except I stead of splash damagingeverything, you overpen

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,913 battles
5 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Roma is the kv2 of warships, except I stead of splash damagingeverything, you overpen

kv2 is fun to play,derp splash damage is fun to the user.

overpen is not fun to the user,it's very good to the enemy.

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles
11 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Not if you can buy the doubloons at a discount. Admirals bounty is on sale for $53.62 30 days premium and 13,500 doubloons. So $53.62 for the ship and you get 30 days premium time to boot. My tech tree says it's 13,100 doubloons.

I was actually looking into that before I came back and found your post, The only issue I have with that, is spending money on the premium time. As I bought a year of premium time less than 2 months ago.   I would rather find an overall discount, than to get MORE prem. time. 

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles
1 minute ago, JackG79 said:

I was actually looking into that before I came back and found your post, The only issue I have with that, is spending money on the premium time. As I bought a year of premium time less than 2 months ago.   I would rather find an overall discount, than to get MORE prem. time. 

They discount for pay pal and amazon a lot.

[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,879 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

does that work on premium shop?i thought it only worked on arsenal ships.

Actually, I’m not certain, as I haven’t  used mine yet (saving for Flint in case I don’t rank out). I would assume that a discount is a discount though.

Happy to be corrected  

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 12:19 AM, UltimateNewbie said:

Actually, I’m not certain, as I haven’t  used mine yet (saving for Flint in case I don’t rank out). I would assume that a discount is a discount though.

Happy to be corrected  

Wargaming is VERY GOOD at wording their discounts, and coupons, to make sure that you get the absolute LEAST out of them as possible.  To them a "Discount is a discount" is blasphemy.  You ONLY get that discount, on the items that they specify,.  And NOT if they are on sale, or a speciality of any type.  

Members
109 posts
2,416 battles

Roma is very meh - there are better ways to spend your money.

For all of its great features (stealth, armor, gun handling, wiggle) it has a massive citadel and bad guns. Bad guns = bad ship.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,175 posts
2,029 battles

The penetration will throw you off. You'll easily overpenetrate light armor, but holy cow can it blast through angled Battleships. You'll get citadels in the weirdest places.

The tall citadel means you have to watch your angles, but given how thick it is (against a shell impacting 0° from the horizontal, it's equal to 381mm), it's not that hard to bounce shells.

Members
946 posts
5,676 battles
On 9/2/2018 at 11:20 PM, JackG79 said:

Well, you would be spending $3.38 LESS than the premium shop cost of the ship, ending up with 400 doubloons in your pocket, and getting 30 days premium time thrown in.

So, what your really saying is spending less and getting freebies tossed in bothers you.

All friendly lampooning aside, the only deeper discount you can hope for is Christmas time...not the national bundles, necessarily, but they did put almost every premium ship into the tech tree on sale. It went on into January. T8's were 15% off. T6&7 were 30% off. T5 and lower were 50% off. "Almost every..." newer ships like Kidd and some others were not included.

And  the operative phrase is "hope for"; they didn't do it in 2016, so you can't hang your hat on it being an annual thing.

And the other issue is the Roma itself. A lot of people are of @exray0 's opinion. It can be a tough ship to like and do well in.

[NBGC]
Members
35 posts
7,172 battles

I have a Roma and there are things to take into account before buying one: 

Roma has an awesome model ( without the stupid beer can tyvm).  The guns are trolly and overpen often in its MM spread.  It often REQUIREs ships to be angled to regular pen and damage and crit, especially cruisers.  That can be used as an advantage if you are experienced enough to recognize when to fire.  Also the shot pattern is an oval traveling away from Roma as opposed to horizontal so waterline shots often miss long and can't really be compensated for.  The good thing is bow on ships and angled ships often take bigger damage when not auto-bouncing.  LWMs review is very accurate and does an excellent job of the whys and why nots.  Having said that, if you are a skilled player you will make the most of Roma.  If not I'd say buy an American BB as they are more forgiving.   Also I should mention we are seeing more CVs currently and will likely to continue to.  The Roma has virtually 4 guys eating cannolis with siide arm pistols for AA so there's that as well.

Good luck! 

Members
211 posts

I love Roma.  muzzle velocity is so nice and it's great for getting big hits on battleships.  cruisers can be problematic though.  

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles

LWM's review on Roma is very much on point.  IMO the ship is real cool but it has some maddening things.  The citadel issue isn't an issue if you are a BB player that knows how to protect one's citadel.  The speed, sailing characteristics are outstanding.  The concealment is amazing.  Secondaries and AA is garbage.  The AA is so bad, that a Secondary Spec Bismarck has almost the same AA power of an AA Spec Roma.  The numerous 90mm Secondaries are so small, 15mm of armor can defeat it, and a yooge number of threats Roma encounters have superstructures, deck, upper hull armor that will easily defeat those shells.

The guns are very trollish.  The shells fly so fast, so hard, that you overpen Cruisers often... If you hit them, as the dispersion will p--- you off sometimes.  I've taken 9km shots against very vulnerable ships like a broadside Dmitri Donskoi at that range, and the shells will unsurprisingly whiff or just Overpen.  D.Donskoi is a massive Cruiser, and you'll miss a broadside of that ship regularly.  But against BB, heavy armor threats, the AP sticks them real good, and the dispersion isn't as bad against such large threats.  The shells LOVE the thick armor of German BBs and just give you fat Penetration hits against them.

The ship had Makoto Kobayashi Camo access, the "Beer Can Camo," when I got it back when the ship was new.  Not sure if players acquiring her later have that same access.  But this "access" was an additional, more expensive package for me when the ship was new.  The normal camo on Roma looks amazing, but the fancy stats on the M.Kobayashi Camo is very good.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts

@JackG79

I don't know about Roma actually plays in game, but Gascogne got trash talked a lot too.  I bought her eventually anyway, and am really enjoying her.

So basically take everything you read on here about a ship with a grain of salt.

After all, this is the same forum where number of people said "American BBs can NEVER be good at brawling, no matter what you do to their secondaries."  Now we have Massachusetts. . . and those people are strangely silent about her.

I say go for it.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
23 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

After all, this is the same forum where number of people said "American BBs can NEVER be good at brawling, no matter what you do to their secondaries."  Now we have Massachusetts. . . and those people are strangely silent about her.

This is wildly inaccurate, and you know it.  The complaints about USN BBs being poor brawlers was because of the poor Secondaries range and Rate of Fire.  BFT, AFT USN BBs with SBM2 slotted don't get much in return, especially in the current game of 10km+ French and German BB Secondaries, coupled with the insanity of a Secondary Spec Alsace with range and minigun Secondaries.

Even Montana in Tier X, which FINALLY gets a good Rate of Fire, is straddled with barely 9km Secondaries with a Secondary Spec.  This is the same tier of godly Secondary ranges of GK and Republique, and IX Alsace, FDG will outstrip Montana's.

WG went out of their way that for once, they undid the artificial restraints against USN 127mm DP turrets and the result is what you see with Massachusetts' Secondaries.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_5-38_mk12.php

The DP guns as found on DDs and the turreted mounts as Secondaries on newer USN Cruisers and Battleships had a reload speed of 2.7 to 4 seconds.  The same guns as found ingame on the following USN ships:

North Carolina 6 seconds.

Iowa 6 seconds.

Massachusetts 4 seconds.

Montana 4 seconds.  Lacking in range.

Combine that fact with Massachusetts secondaries getting the long range that every other USN BB, even X Montana, lacks.  All the sudden you got a USN BB that can finally brawl.  North Carolina, Alabama, especially Montana could do the same, if better.

Imagine Montana with with 10km+ Secondaries, while still being able to slot APRM2 in Slot 6, while SBM2 is in Slot 3, on top of her tougher armor and waterline citadel.  Still using BFT & AFT.  But this isn't a valid route in the current game because of the p*ss poor secondaries range she has.  If Montana had good Secondaries range, I'd do a Secondaries Build with her with those traits and upgrades in place.  That is the only way you'd ever dislodge me from my AA Montana.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway