You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

I've thought bad thoughts about the new Cleveland

16 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles

I thought that the new Cleveland was much worse at its tier than the old Cleveland was at its tier. However, with 80 games in it, enough to get some decent stats, I find that I'm actually doing about as well as ever. I guess the new Cleveland doesn't suck as much as I said it did.

VI     768 55.6% 1 221 29 630 0.65 3.22

VIII     80 56.25% 1 141 37 681 0.63 2.34

Plane kills are lower but there are fewer planes currently at tier VIII too; at tier VI you get those two-CV matches.

Members
216 posts
2,020 battles

Cleveland honestly isn't that bad at T8. Vs other cruisers, it will lose alot of the time but it has ridiculous DPM against BBs and DDs, along with AA that will shoo away the planes. My first game with her I had 106K damage. 

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,686 posts
3,459 battles

I had a 190k game last night in the Cleveland in a blow out loss.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,326 posts
9,387 battles

Take it out on the current Operation - Cherry Blossom.

It was made for that one.

The other cruisers, Kutuzov, Chappy, Baltimore, Edinburgh...   They just lack that quick response time of both the turrets and the rudder.

And the real kicker...   The Cleveland can shoot OVER the mountains at the Aerodromes.  Seriously..   When I found that out, about every game was 5 star - with me killing both 90K aerodromes, lobbing shells in from behind islands..  Use the little circle pointer thingy they just included on the mini-map. 

You've got this.

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
315 posts
4,601 battles

Cleveland will always be my favorite cruiser. I'm delighted that she performs well in her new tier, and a legitimate business excuse to mow down sky cancer while providing support and scouting roles in her fleet.

And beware lolibote, I can make your life hazardous by flying my scout planes for minutes and minutes preventing you from moving in. You'll wish I was only radaring you through islands.

As in all things the Cleveland can find and get found by multiple counters in the game - ymmv 

[-WPG-]
Members
722 posts
3,127 battles

It's biggest downside is that it absolutely needs IFHE, whereas the T6 Cleveland could get by without it for a while.  Once you move your 14+ captain up to the Seattle/Worcester, it's another long grind to get a 14 pointer on the T8 Cleveland. 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,499 battles

I’ve got the 19 point special Captain in the Cleveland making the turrets noticeably faster and shell switch to just under 2 seconds loaded and with the new Vlll upgrades she’s a bit of a beast to bad she only shoots just over 15 k not great up here

Members
1,123 posts
6,679 battles

The new cleve is fantastic. handles being bottom tier pretty well.    I think it is better than the seattle.  here were some thoughts people had when someone brought up the seattle. 

4C21A1099E1F7AFA3EC73AF9A59C279E8F30320B

6710AFF510BFB4D8E0743603887647B9C94652BF

3F08B3104EB4E08F51FC6BDA574CBB0829613568

[TBW]
Members
6,315 posts
11,857 battles
1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

It's biggest downside is that it absolutely needs IFHE, whereas the T6 Cleveland could get by without it for a while.  Once you move your 14+ captain up to the Seattle/Worcester, it's another long grind to get a 14 pointer on the T8 Cleveland. 

Dasha gets you a ten pointer. Then grind her in Cherry Blossom. Easy Peasy.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,017 posts
11,538 battles

I don't think it's bad, I just don't much like the new playstyle.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I took mine out for the first time in a while today in Cherry Blossom. Delicious, delicious planes.

Anyway, the closest ship I can find to compare with the characteristics and playstyle of new and improved tier 8 Cleveland isn't even a US one actually isn't even a US ship. New Cleveland to me is very much diet Hindenburg. She swaps that excellent hydro, heal, armor layout, and defensive torps for optional radar, decent cruiser hydro, US gun arcs, some agility, and improved AA. Both ships lend themselves very much to being pursuit predators that stalk destroyers through island cover and wear them down. You use cover to get close and flush them out with hydro, making them waste torp runs during its long duration and wearing them down with secondaries and HE. Honestly if not for the necessity of IFHE on Cleveland I'd kit out the two ships quite similarly.

[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,879 battles
2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Take it out on the current Operation - Cherry Blossom.

It was made for that one.

The other cruisers, Kutuzov, Chappy, Baltimore, Edinburgh...   They just lack that quick response time of both the turrets and the rudder.

And the real kicker...   The Cleveland can shoot OVER the mountains at the Aerodromes.  Seriously..   When I found that out, about every game was 5 star - with me killing both 90K aerodromes, lobbing shells in from behind islands..  Use the little circle pointer thingy they just included on the mini-map. 

You've got this.

Doesn’t everyone shoot over the islands?? Thought that was common. Otherwise, agree. 

19 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Dasha gets you a ten pointer. Then grind her in Cherry Blossom. Easy Peasy.

So lewd!!!

• Funny 1

[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,879 battles
6 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

I took mine out for the first time in a while today in Cherry Blossom. Delicious, delicious planes.

Anyway, the closest ship I can find to compare with the characteristics and playstyle of new and improved tier 8 Cleveland isn't even a US one actually isn't even a US ship. New Cleveland to me is very much diet Hindenburg. She swaps that excellent hydro, heal, armor layout, and defensive torps for optional radar, decent cruiser hydro, US gun arcs, some agility, and improved AA. Both ships lend themselves very much to being pursuit predators that stalk destroyers through island cover and wear them down. You use cover to get close and flush them out with hydro, making them waste torp runs during its long duration and wearing them down with secondaries and HE. Honestly if not for the necessity of IFHE on Cleveland I'd kit out the two ships quite similarly.

You make the Cleveland and Hindenburg sound like completely different ships. 

Becausr they are. 

[TBW]
Members
6,315 posts
11,857 battles
4 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

So lewd!!!

Now that you say that.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
8 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

You make the Cleveland and Hindenburg sound like completely different ships. 

Becausr they are. 

Those are mostly minor differences and often tier-based at that. In terms of rate of fire, layout, turret arcs, and speed they can lend themselves to some similar plays in the matches they find themselves in. The two feel more closely related to me than Cleveland and my experience in the clunker that is Seattle at any rate.