You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iEatChickenMcNuggets

RN CVs closer than we think?

37 comments in this topic

Members
49 posts
1,533 battles

The news article about GB’s naval aviation maybe a stepping stone to the eventual release of RN CVs and the much longed CV Rework. Anyone got any ideas of how it’s going to turn out?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/history/naval-aviation-4/

Edited by iEatChickenMcNuggets

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,658 posts
9,977 battles

More pertinently there's this:

A the end of the Pin-Up video an Audacious class carrier is seen too.

I suspect a good chunk of the graphics/design may be done for them and they're waiting for the carrier rework to start testing.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles

Closer THAN, not closer then.  Jeez.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Angry 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,370 posts
7,948 battles

2 years ago they teased a second UK line after BB's, and in the same video had the "ice carrier", we were supposed to have CV's fixed, a long list that indicated UK CV's could have been out sometime late last year, early this year. And then everything fell apart. Odds are they come with/shortly after the rework because we have had the same 2 lines, of a potential (counting splits) 10 lines [2 USN, IJN, and possibly 2 UK, single lines for Germany (even without GZ still has material and arguably is better with more consistent design), France, Italy, and obligatory RU CV's (hopefully the last ones added). 

Members
593 posts
4,875 battles

I reall dying to know what the CV rework is going to look like. WG has said recently that they just missed showing it at gamescon so they have to be ready to shows soon right? I just really want to see what the heck they mean by more action gameplay and more in line with the other classes. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,658 posts
9,977 battles
13 minutes ago, Forgottensoldier117 said:

I reall dying to know what the CV rework is going to look like. WG has said recently that they just missed showing it at gamescon so they have to be ready to shows soon right? I just really want to see what the heck they mean by more action gameplay and more in line with the other classes. 

WG's '2017' means 'late 2018' so 'a week after Gamescom' means... well, we'll find out.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,136 posts
8,762 battles
3 minutes ago, mofton said:

WG's '2017' means 'late 2018' so 'a week after Gamescom' means... well, we'll find out.

Better to wait than to have another Graf Zeppelin fiasco. They released it broken and then broke it in the other direction. 

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
35 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Closer THAN, not closer then.  Jeez.

Doest theyest not knowest how to useth the queens english?

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,410 posts
3,410 battles
33 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

2 years ago they teased a second UK line after BB's, and in the same video had the "ice carrier", we were supposed to have CV's fixed, a long list that indicated UK CV's could have been out sometime late last year, early this year. And then everything fell apart. Odds are they come with/shortly after the rework because we have had the same 2 lines, of a potential (counting splits) 10 lines [2 USN, IJN, and possibly 2 UK, single lines for Germany (even without GZ still has material and arguably is better with more consistent design), France, Italy, and obligatory RU CV's (hopefully the last ones added). 

The last WG has said on their CV line plans was that the RN CV line would be it for a long while (splits would have greater priority). They had both a KM CV line and a VMF CV line in the works, but double-negative reception consisting of hatred of the CVs in general and Paper CVs led them to scrapping plans for KM, RM, and MN CVs. VMF CVs were only iced due to a lack of tier appropriate planes, but was going to be the 4th and final CV line. That being said, they still planned to bring in a few Premium CVs for Italy and France, and the possibility of throwing one in for the VMF too.

30 minutes ago, Forgottensoldier117 said:

A leak/rumor on Reddit that seems to have been taken down mentioned that the CV Rework allows increased direct control of planes, but at the loss of being able to control others simultaneously. In other words, no more RTS elements; players have to Tele-operate the bombers into the drop like one would a Fritz X, then shift to the next bomber group and guide them in, otherwise they default to a generic auto-drop. Fighters would supposedly become auto-play, mainly controlled to either run interference vs enemy aircraft. Of course, the leak/rumor was already sketchy in the first place.

At any rate, the CV Rework first glimpse should be coming up sometime soon, pending on when WG wants to drop the bombshell. I expect probably as part of the WoWs Anniversary, where it may get swallowed up in everything else.

Edited by YamatoA150

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
11 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

The last WG has said on their CV line plans was that the RN CV line would be it for a long while (splits would have greater priority). They had both a KM CV line and a VMF CV line in the works, but double-negative reception consisting of hatred of the CVs in general and Paper CVs led them to scrapping plans for KM, RM, and MN CVs. VMF CVs were only iced due to a lack of tier appropriate planes, but was going to be the 4th and final CV line. That being said, they still planned to bring in a few Premium CVs for Italy and France, and the possibility of throwing one in for the VMF too.

I'm pretty sure way back when they were making their first attempt at fixing CV's, (the one that was meant to drop 2017), they said RN CV's would drop with it. But i don't expect PTS testing till near christmas, probably if it happens RN CV's will be the christmas line. Good time to drop it too given how many will be pulled back in.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,410 posts
3,410 battles
8 minutes ago, Carl said:

I'm pretty sure way back when they were making their first attempt at fixing CV's, (the one that was meant to drop 2017), they said RN CV's would drop with it. But i don't expect PTS testing till near christmas, probably if it happens RN CV's will be the christmas line. Good time to drop it too given how many will be pulled back in.

They did; it was even in the 2017 New Year plans.

As for when it actually drops, I'm thinking not until early 2019; they would first need to give the player base a chance to accept and adapt (or reject and quit) to the new CV Overhaul, whatever it entails, then drop the line once enough players have become familiar with the new mechanics. WG would only be shooting themselves in the foot if they dropped the RN CV line right alongside a major overhaul, while many aren't ready to deal with it, much less attempt to grind the line without prior experience of the new mechanics. As well, the CV overhaul would likely also entail follow-up changes to the IJN and USN CVs after 3-6 months of post-overhaul data, which they would need to work out before releasing the RN CV line.

As well, it seems we only have RN DDs and Italian Cruisers left for 2018 (based on WG Fest or whatever that WG event was earlier this year), unless the supposed VMF BBs make a surprise appearance between now and December (their gun data is already in the client for internal testing, for what it's worth).

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,370 posts
7,948 battles
1 minute ago, YamatoA150 said:

Not sure where your getting the info of German/Russian CV's cause there was never any actual confirmed movement on any CV's by Wargaming, especially with the teeth we had to pull to get Graf Zeppelin. 

Also, if we take GZ out of the mix, starting at tier 5 as opposed to 4 (which makes sense alone by the fact Germany started late to the game) tiers 5-7 had physical hulls being worked on, conversion or not, tier 8 would now likely be GZ's twin, completed to the modified design of GZ replacing the 15 cm guns with more DP ones, a ship that did in fact begin construction, Which leaves 2 more tiers that are either Paper designs I've not seen or continuations of the GZ design created by WG, which yeah, okay, those are definite paper/fakes, or only one fake, and using a technicality that could allow "Aquila" to be used in both the German and Italian lines, as the ship was aided in construction and later captured by the Germans. Not to mention that we should have a 3rd separate line, not a split, for the next CV's. And anyone that wants to kick up a fuss on paper CV's to keep them from the game needs to then be demanding, and not play, FDG, GK, the last 2-3 UK BB's, possibly Montana (I keep finding info contradicting if she was laid down at all), Amagi, Izumo, Hakuryu (yeah that's not a real ship last I checked just based on a Taiho-kai plan), I don't know how many RU ships, Several French ships, Neptune, Minotaur, at least a couple of the new USN cruisers, and whatever other ships I have forgotten to list that are either paper designs, out right fakes, or only in some way partly constructed. One of the only lines I know is 100% real built ships is USN CV's, maybe their DD's, and maybe IJN DD main line. Beyond that I'm pretty sure every single line has at least 1 ship that is a paper design, a fake, or a ship that was never fully constructed. If they do that, well than they are more than welcome to speak against anything they perceive as a paper CV. However, if they are fine with those ships in the game, or play them all the time, then they need to keep their mouth shut on paper CV's.

And even if we wanted to exclude RU because it's 100% paper, Italy because it's very heavy on paper (I find maybe 2 ships that were built at all), and France because of the amount of paper and issues with national aircraft, RN more than deserves a line, and Germany has several ships that had physical hulls and were being worked on, putting them further along than many ship in game, and they have the aircraft that could have been converted to CV use, barring (at least in my interpretation of aircraft lines) 1 DB that they started working on then cancelled, an update of the Stuka. 

[-BRS-]
Members
1,603 posts
13,175 battles
18 minutes ago, Carl said:

Or leave

[NDA]
Supertester
4,771 posts
13,567 battles
40 minutes ago, Carl said:

Doest theyest not knowest how to useth the queens english?

:Smile_trollface:

T1V4EBX.jpg

• Funny 4

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
1 hour ago, YamatoA150 said:

They did; it was even in the 2017 New Year plans.

As for when it actually drops, I'm thinking not until early 2019; they would first need to give the player base a chance to accept and adapt (or reject and quit) to the new CV Overhaul, whatever it entails, then drop the line once enough players have become familiar with the new mechanics. WG would only be shooting themselves in the foot if they dropped the RN CV line right alongside a major overhaul, while many aren't ready to deal with it, much less attempt to grind the line without prior experience of the new mechanics. As well, the CV overhaul would likely also entail follow-up changes to the IJN and USN CVs after 3-6 months of post-overhaul data, which they would need to work out before releasing the RN CV line.

As well, it seems we only have RN DDs and Italian Cruisers left for 2018 (based on WG Fest or whatever that WG event was earlier this year), unless the supposed VMF BBs make a surprise appearance between now and December (their gun data is already in the client for internal testing, for what it's worth).

Nah, fro what little the CV's CC's have said it's so vastly different that everyone's going to be starting from scratch learning wise. Player who didn't or wouldn't play CV's before because they found old carriers too obtuse aren't going to be any worse off starting with Rn than they would with IJN or USN.

I also fully expect the USN/IJN changes to drop with the patch. This isn't going to be a change the mechanics and then update the ships afterwards situation based on various things Sub_Octavian and the CC's have said, it's going to be a root and branch replacement. Sure they're going to re-use a bunch of models but functionally this is going to be exactly the same as if they'd not put CV's in during beta and where just about to put them in now. In that situation 2 vs 3 lines makes little difference, but since the old CV's have been around a while releasing a new line that has no negetive memory associations with them from the old system would actually help get player who otherwise would feel put off by their memories of the old CV's to take a go.

If they want this to work they have to overcome the don't play CV inertia and that means stacking a loaded deck, doing it during a peak player period and using a new line to entice, complete with a new campaign and event set with loads of cool christmas rewards would be about the best marketing move they could pull in my book, (it probably wouldn't hurt if they made the T9 or T10 just a hair too good and scaled it back after some months).

52 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

T1V4EBX.jpg

Tehehehe.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles

Are RN CVs closer thAn we think?  It depends on how close you think they are?  Hey, we don't know how the devs think and plan, but the reality is that they could build the RN CV ships themselves right now, I'd think.  The real limitation is the aircraft part of the equation.   Heck, I suppose if they built the RN CV ships ahead of time they could have them in a fully releasable state pretty darned quickly after releasing the new CV game play update.

A related question might be how soon after the CV update might we see the first new premium CV released? 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,142 posts
1,648 battles
1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

And anyone that wants to kick up a fuss on paper CV's to keep them from the game needs to then be demanding, and not play, FDG, GK, the last 2-3 UK BB's, possibly Montana (I keep finding info contradicting if she was laid down at all), Amagi, Izumo, Hakuryu (yeah that's not a real ship last I checked just based on a Taiho-kai plan), I don't know how many RU ships, Several French ships, Neptune, Minotaur, at least a couple of the new USN cruisers, and whatever other ships I have forgotten to list that are either paper designs, out right fakes, or only in some way partly constructed. One of the only lines I know is 100% real built ships is USN CV's, maybe their DD's, and maybe IJN DD main line.

Montana was not laid down.  Amagi was laid down.  Lion was laid down.  The US CV line, the IJN DD main line and the RN DD line are all 100% built and served ships.  One US DD and one US CL from the main line are paper.  All Tier X BBs other than Yamato will be paper.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,177 posts
2,029 battles
58 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Not sure where your getting the info of German/Russian CV's cause there was never any actual confirmed movement on any CV's by Wargaming, especially with the teeth we had to pull to get Graf Zeppelin. 

Also, if we take GZ out of the mix, starting at tier 5 as opposed to 4 (which makes sense alone by the fact Germany started late to the game) tiers 5-7 had physical hulls being worked on, conversion or not, tier 8 would now likely be GZ's twin, completed to the modified design of GZ replacing the 15 cm guns with more DP ones, a ship that did in fact begin construction, Which leaves 2 more tiers that are either Paper designs I've not seen or continuations of the GZ design created by WG, which yeah, okay, those are definite paper/fakes, or only one fake, and using a technicality that could allow "Aquila" to be used in both the German and Italian lines, as the ship was aided in construction and later captured by the Germans. Not to mention that we should have a 3rd separate line, not a split, for the next CV's. And anyone that wants to kick up a fuss on paper CV's to keep them from the game needs to then be demanding, and not play, FDG, GK, the last 2-3 UK BB's, possibly Montana (I keep finding info contradicting if she was laid down at all), Amagi, Izumo, Hakuryu (yeah that's not a real ship last I checked just based on a Taiho-kai plan), I don't know how many RU ships, Several French ships, Neptune, Minotaur, at least a couple of the new USN cruisers, and whatever other ships I have forgotten to list that are either paper designs, out right fakes, or only in some way partly constructed. One of the only lines I know is 100% real built ships is USN CV's, maybe their DD's, and maybe IJN DD main line. Beyond that I'm pretty sure every single line has at least 1 ship that is a paper design, a fake, or a ship that was never fully constructed. If they do that, well than they are more than welcome to speak against anything they perceive as a paper CV. However, if they are fine with those ships in the game, or play them all the time, then they need to keep their mouth shut on paper CV's.

And even if we wanted to exclude RU because it's 100% paper, Italy because it's very heavy on paper (I find maybe 2 ships that were built at all), and France because of the amount of paper and issues with national aircraft, RN more than deserves a line, and Germany has several ships that had physical hulls and were being worked on, putting them further along than many ship in game, and they have the aircraft that could have been converted to CV use, barring (at least in my interpretation of aircraft lines) 1 DB that they started working on then cancelled, an update of the Stuka. 

Afaik, WG has never mentioned anything in regards to French and Italian carrier lines.

As for German and Soviet lines - I don't think WG's ever mentioned that they were working on them, but in Q&A's they the specifically state they weren't going to pursue Soviet or German CV lines because they would require too much paper - WG isn't shy of completing lines with paper ships and filling in holes, or even outright inventing them to finish lines - but they seem to no wish to make a line that is almost entirely paper.

A Russian CV line would be 100% paper.

A German line would be similar, especially since GZ is a premium - Germany had only three other started projects, two of which were identical.

Although WG has not addressed them, I would suspect the same fate would befall Italy and France.

France has Béarn as a completed and serving ship, but otherwise there's only Joffré that had work started. Honestly, I'm not sure if they even have enough paper designs for a full line.

Italy's not much better, Aquila almost being completed, but only two other projects with work done, Sparviero and Impero. Otherwise, again, just paper.

The Royal Navy definitely does deserve a line, and I'm sure they will get one. Any other nation besides them and those already with CVs... Less than likely

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
9,395 battles
1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

Only the USN CV and IJN DD's prior to this last patch were paper ship free. The IJN CV and USN BB lines are light on the paper ships, only having the tier 10 as paper ships.

The worst offenders are the Russian DD and Cruiser lines, where you're looking at multiple proposed ships from the same programs, that didn't happen for various reasons from WWII to inter-service infighting.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
4 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Better to wait than to have another Graf Zeppelin fiasco.

Yes!

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
3 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

T1V4EBX.jpg

You forgot one ... 

confederate-8x5.gif English Mutilated

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
28 minutes ago, Umikami said:

You forgot one ... 

I have no idea who's flag that is...

It's certainly not those aussies or the kiwi's...

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles
5 hours ago, Forgottensoldier117 said:

I reall dying to know what the CV rework is going to look like. WG has said recently that they just missed showing it at gamescon so they have to be ready to shows soon right? I just really want to see what the heck they mean by more action gameplay and more in line with the other classes

That could mean that the CV has to visually see it's target in order to attack it, like other WoWs ships do.

Edited by ReddNekk

Members
216 posts
2,023 battles
43 minutes ago, Umikami said:

You forgot one ... 

Oh come on. It ain't that bad down here...