You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cruiser_SanJuan

Can't believe I let this Important Aniversary pass without mentioning it!

45 comments in this topic

[KNTAI]
Members
1,083 posts
5,943 battles

26th of August, 1968. The Beatles release, on their new Apple label:

The song with the most famous chorus in Rock music history (arguably), and a staple of classic rock radio since then.

"Hey Jude" was released in August 1968 as the first single from the Beatles' record label Apple Records. More than seven minutes in length, it was at the time the longest single ever to top the British charts.It also spent nine weeks at number one in the United States, the longest for any Beatles single. "Hey Jude" tied the "all-time" record, at the time, for the longest run at the top of the US charts. The single has sold approximately eight million copies and is frequently included on professional critics' lists of the greatest songs of all time. In 2013, Billboard named it the 10th "biggest" song of all time. (from Wikipedia article)

Recorded  between July 31st and August 1st of that year at Trident Studios in London, Hey Jude marked the first time the Beatles used 8-track recording technology (Previously they used 4-track) It was the highest point in an otherwise negative period when the group's partnership was starting to deteriorate.

And... Because A Great Rock Song deserves an Equally Great B-side:

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,118 posts
8,741 battles

They were awesome back than and their music has aged well. I will show my age, I remember listening to them on transistor radios on the AM band because there was almost nothing on the FM band yet.

8f9cd5b5-de6e-432e-a0d5-40ffb3626a7b.jpg

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,355 battles

My band mates and I learned all the songs and put them in our gig list to play!

• Cool 1

Members
4,438 posts
6,129 battles

I may catch hell for this but "Hey Jude" is one of my least liked Beatles songs. Like many things what one like in music is quite subjective.  I always felt it to be a long boring dirge with about the last half nothing but naa naa naa na nan naaa. Boring (to me). Hey I grew up in that era and was a Beatles fan but Hey Jude just never did a thing for me. Like I said taste in music, like with food, is pretty subjective. If you love that song GREAT!  I just never did. On the other hand "Revolution" rocks!  Ya.

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 3

Members
208 posts
2,089 battles
19 minutes ago, commodore_torakula said:

hey San Juan good to see you on the forums.....vinyl records!!

Yes Vinyl records will always sound better then the compressed crap we use today, unless its .flac then its def better than vinyl if you have the setup to tell.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,118 posts
8,741 battles
18 minutes ago, Themothius said:

Yes Vinyl records will always sound better then the compressed crap we use today, unless its .flac then its def better than vinyl if you have the setup to tell.

Very few people have the equipment and of those that do very few have the ear to tell the difference and with digital you don't get scratches.

Members
1,238 posts
8,910 battles
14 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Very few people have the equipment and of those that do very few have the ear to tell the difference and with digital you don't get scratches.

"Without music life would be a mistake."  --Friedrich Nietzsche

[TBW]
Members
6,298 posts
11,856 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

They were awesome back than and their music has aged well. I will show my age, I remember listening to them on transistor radios on the AM band because there was almost nothing on the FM band yet.

8f9cd5b5-de6e-432e-a0d5-40ffb3626a7b.jpg

Then you remember these.

nsMLRSRWVtvDVDyamIoylCqQJfwahOiF13MZ4Cww6m4.thumb.jpg.c6bd43c3c8cf791004181a088ca5be16.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
4,438 posts
6,129 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You want scratchy? Heh. When I was a kid my parents had old 78rpm records of big bands from the 30's and 40's. Shellac. Very easily scratched. Sounded like hell by the time I heard them in the 50's. Bout a half inch thick and they spun so fast you had to spray water on the turntable when it began smoking. :Smile_teethhappy:

They also had 78's of Edward R Morrow's broadcasts from London during the German blitz of 1940.  He was up on rooftops doing those broadcasts and you could hear the AA and bombs going off. Cool!

"This is Edward R Morrow broadcasting and THIS is London!" Was how they began. He broadcast in shortwave and they made records of them in 78rpm.  My parents had the whole set. Don't know what happened to them.  Sure wish I had them today.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,387 battles

For a while, they were threatening to require a fee on the sales of cassette tapes so the artists could be reimbursed for the copies made off of records and radio.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,118 posts
8,741 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

You want scratchy? Heh. When I was a kid my parents had old 78rpm records of big bands from the 30's and 40's. Shellac. Very easily scratched. Sounded like hell by the time I heard them in the 50's. Bout a half inch thick and they spun so fast you had to spray water on the turntable when it began smoking. :Smile_teethhappy:

They also had 78's of Edward R Morrow's broadcasts from London during the German blitz of 1940.  He was up on rooftops doing those broadcasts and you could hear the AA and bombs going off. Cool!

"This is Edward R Morrow broadcasting and THIS is London!" Was how they began. He broadcast in shortwave and they made records of them in 78rpm.  My parents had the whole set. Don't know what happened to them.  Sure wish I had them today.

With everything getting digitized these days you can probably find the broadcasts for download or on CD. You can definitely find the big band stuff.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,387 battles

Always had a trick I used with the audiophiles.

I would challenge their hearing since they claimed they could hear all the way up to 25Khz...

I would put out 1Khz through a piezo tweeter...   yup..  they could hear that.

Then 10Khz..  Yup.. they could hear that.

Then I'd set the dial to 15Khz and unplug the speaker.......  Yup..  They could hear that..    "Really?  I can't hear a thing.. ", I'd say..   Oh yes..  They could hear it across the room.

Then I'd hand them the speaker wire......

• Funny 2

[PVE]
Members
1,222 posts
4,732 battles
3 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Then you remember these.

nsMLRSRWVtvDVDyamIoylCqQJfwahOiF13MZ4Cww6m4.thumb.jpg.c6bd43c3c8cf791004181a088ca5be16.jpg

Yes! I sure do! My sister had one in her room in the secondary/high school daze... 

Good to see you back aboard Cruiser!

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,118 posts
8,741 battles
3 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Always had a trick I used with the audiophiles.

I would challenge their hearing since they claimed they could hear all the way up to 25Khz...

I would put out 1Khz through a piezo tweeter...   yup..  they could hear that.

Then 10Khz..  Yup.. they could hear that.

Then I'd set the dial to 15Khz and unplug the speaker.......  Yup..  They could hear that..    "Really?  I can't hear a thing.. ", I'd say..   Oh yes..  They could hear it across the room.

Audiophile is an addiction of always wanting the best so their current equipment is never good enough because there is always a new and better piece out there. 

• Cool 1

[BLHK]
Members
291 posts
3,274 battles
4 hours ago, dmckay said:

I I just never did. On the other hand "Revolution" rocks!  Ya.

I always preferred the semi acoustic version they put on the album rather than the single.

Members
1,770 posts
17,309 battles

A boring little ditty about shooting up heroin...agree w/:

4 hours ago, dmckay said:

I may catch hell for this but "Hey Jude" is one of my least liked Beatles songs. Like many things what one like in music is quite subjective.  I always felt it to be a long boring dirge with about the last half nothing but naa naa naa na nan naaa. Boring (to me). Hey I grew up in that era and was a Beatles fan but Hey Jude just never did a thing for me. Like I said taste in music, like with food, is pretty subjective. If you love that song GREAT!  I just never did. On the other hand "Revolution" rocks!  Ya.

Revolution was much better...musically & (especially) subject matter (was never into songs about people using drugs...not that I didn't use them...but hearing people singing about it...or even movies about them...has just always bored me).

Edit: But thanx for pointing out the 50th anniversary of "Revolution" OP.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Alpha Tester
4,620 posts
2,400 battles

If there is any band that is truly timeless, it's the Beatles.

[BLHK]
Members
291 posts
3,274 battles
3 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Thats funny. When I was young I tested well north of 13khz, and that was considered extreme. Mind you I paid for it at the other end in the low frequency sounds.

[BLHK]
Members
291 posts
3,274 battles
8 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

A boring little ditty about shooting up heroin...agree w/:

Revolution was much better...musically & (especially) subject matter (was never into songs about people using drugs...not that I didn't use them...but hearing people singing about it...or even movies about them...has just always bored me).

Edit: But thanx for pointing out the 50th anniversary of "Revolution" OP.

Hey Jude is not a drug song. It is a song for Lennon's eldest boy, Julian.

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
579 posts

Finally - a forum post that will appreciate this. 

Found this a couple of months ago.....I LITERALLY rolled on floor laughing.

Yep, Kanye is going to give this guy a career.....lol!

[KNTAI]
Members
1,083 posts
5,943 battles
23 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Thank You, MG

Members
1,770 posts
17,309 battles
27 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

That doesn't exclude all the lines to "let her into your heart, then you can start to make it better"..."let her under your skin"..."so let it out & let it in"..."the movement you need is on your shoulders (injecting needles in yourself is not a wrist movement action...requires shoulder movement)".

And what does a reference to "go out & get her" (let alone "let her under your skin" & "so let it out & let it in") mean in relation to a 4 year old kid (Julian's age at the time)?

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos