You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dust340man

Iowa setup-call me crazy

5 comments in this topic

[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,468 battles

I've been playing with my Iowa setup and wanted to change it from my NC setup to see what effects it will have on her damage totals & just for fun. It seems she bounces AP shells a lot on angled Tier 9 and Tier 10 ships of course so I looked at her HE fire % chance more closely. Well she has a base 36% chance so I changed my 3rd level captain skill to DE and will play her with two fire flags for a total HE fire chance of 40% now. I'll split my AP and HE shells about 50/50 I think and see how she does in battles. I love the AP shell broadside results though so far. My reload time is 26.4 sec with reload upgrade and I'm using AR as one of my two second level skills with the other being increased turret traverse. My reload time will drop 1-2 seconds as health decreases. Running both concealment upgrade and concealment skill in 4th captain level so with camo that gets her concealment down to like 12.2km. Moved away from a full AA and increased secondary build as Tier 9 and 10 don't see CVs that often. I think it's still at least 80 anyway. Without TA skill on 3rd level I do have to be very aware of where DDs are on the minimap when they are spotted. Kind of looking to increase the fun factor with her even if the damage totals don't change much. I'll post later on about battle results with a list of my present upgrade choices and complete 14pt captain skills.

Comments are welcome along with criticism. :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by dust340man

[-V1-]
Members
137 posts
4,436 battles

Very interested in hearing you results as I have an Iowa myself.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

De on a battleship is not super useful. It really helps when your shooting large quantities of shells like a cruiser or destroyer... in one battle, like 1 shell may cause a fire due to DE, when you could be doing much more damage with ap. If you cant pen ships with AP, try shooting turrets or superstructures. Might not be as tasty as a broadside, but it is probably better than HE.

If you took DE over Superintendent, then yes, you are absolutely crazy. If not the  just terribly misinformed

[MOH]
Members
188 posts
1,133 battles

I'd have to agree.  The only reason this build even remotely works is because of the lack of aircraft carriers in the top tiers.  The Iowa's strength is very strong AA, great concealment, great speed, very high AP shell damage, and great accuracy.  With World of Warships turning into World of Gunboats at the top tiers though, it makes anything and everything a general benefit towards your gunnery a benefit, even when you're left scratching your head over it.

To be honest, Demolition Expert for the main battery is a poor use of points.  If you're trying to play the Iowa like the Lion, then no matter what you do, it's never going to be the Lion.  The Lion has better concealment, better HE shell damage, and better fire chance right off the bat.  You're better off putting those points into defensive measures like Basics of Survivability, Fire Prevention, Superintendent, and Vigilance, and then really mastering the craft of landing precise hits with those American AP super heavy's.  

Regarding secondary builds, the Iowa is absolutely not suited for it.  At least the Montana has some aspects that make it an average brawler, but the Iowa does not.  The secondary guns have a slow fire rate, and the fire chance is abysmally low.  Not to mention, the stock accuracy on them is horrendous.  No matter what you do here, you're just taking a very, very poor brawling ship and turning into a slightly better, but still very poor brawling ship.  

At the end of the day, you're going to get a lot more out of the Iowa by going the route of defensive builds like the above post.  Once you master the craft of landing shells with the 16"/50cal Mark 7 guns, which are the same used on the Montana, you'll be a beast.  But going the secondary armament route or Demolition Expert is just taking a fine ship in a direction it was never designed to go, and no matter how much better it might perform, it'll never perform as well as when you play it in the role it was intended for.