You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

How to deal with a griever

22 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
Members
190 posts
5,944 battles

Okay, this has probably been covered before. Was in a random game and had a "friendly" DD immediately go to the bottom of the map and not help. Then started spamming with F keys. Everyone called him out on it. Reported by most of the team.

Next game, same player was on my team again. He sailed across the screen and started ramming me. I was in a BB. He did it till I turned pink. I was trying to get away but kept getting disciplinary actions till I turned pink. 

How do you keep from getting disciplinary actions and penalties in this situation? 

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
corrected auto correct

[VFW]
Members
899 posts
20,608 battles

In that case, not much except don't do anything else that would result in you shooting him.  Just negative Karma him, take a screen shot, and send in a report to WG.  If you have video of him even better.

If you did none of that except give him bad Karma...well he'll be around for a while grieving other players.   Eventually, he will tire of this (or take his meds) or be band due to someone else sending a report to WG.

vr, 

[4HIM]
Members
1,698 posts
3,861 battles

Yeah, the in game 'report for bad play' feature has the effect of 10 lashes with a wet noodle.  To actually do anything effective you have to submit a ticket and a replay.  But I've seen griefers from time to time.  Even had one who was pink self destruct when he unloaded a full MB salvo into me.  

• Funny 1

[STW-N]
Members
219 posts
7,619 battles

Submitting a ticket does very little as well. My experience with their customer service suggests they are one part feckless and two parts apathetic.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
756 posts
15,482 battles

Start a YouTube channel and publicize the poor players, like this:

Then send a ticket and use the public vid for evidence. If WG likes that kind of publicity and will not do anything substantial about it, then it's their problem.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,088 posts
18,615 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Okay, this has probably been covered before. Was in a random game and had a "friendly" DD immediately go to the bottom of the map and not help. Then started spamming with F keys. Everyone called him out on it. Reported by most of the team.

Next game, same player was on my team again. He sailed across the screen and started ramming me. I was in a BB. He did it till I turned pink. I was trying to get away but kept getting disciplinary actions till I turned pink. 

How do you keep from getting disciplinary actions and penalties in this situation? 

Nothing to be done for your pinkness. 

For the rest: don't waste your reports for this. Make a screenshot or better a replay and report him over the support.

[PVE]
Members
8,785 posts
7,234 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

So sorry you had this issue. While a few 'plays poorly' doesn't really doesn't anything to the offender, there is an amount of 'plays poorly' hits that trips a filter and notifies WG. WG won't tell us what that amount is or if it is tied to some set time period, because then griefers would use that to grief. For the normal type of things that happen, accidental TK, too salty chat messages and the like, WG will let the in game report system handle it. WG changed the TK system recently to make it much more sensitive to team damage, so the serious TK griefers will go pink and then orange pretty fast. At some point, WG won't say, if you go orange too much, WG will ban you for a time, but WG will not tell us what that amount is or over what time period it counts, because the griefers will use that to stop short and continue to grief. https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/article/19168/

Issues like racist chat/forum comments are taken care of by WG via a filter. Chat in game, in private messages in game, in the forum and private messages in forum are covered by this chat filter. People have reported getting warned for using WWII derogatory slang for another country in private chat, like the word that rhymes with cap for a certain Asian nation. 

That said, WG will never tell anyone that they have disciplined someone. So you will never hear back from them even if you send in a report, except for things like, we will investigate and that is it. So there is a perception that WG never does anything, because WG doesn't talk about what they do to other players as punishments. We do know that people do get temporary bans and permanent bans as various people have described getting one themselves, but WG doesn't announce it. https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/article/19427/

If you do decide to send in a report on something serious, don't waste your time and WG's time on accidental stuff, have screenshots at the minimum. Replay is better. Having screenshots and a replay is best. Describe what and when it happened so WG can get to the relevant part. Screenshots can be made with the print screen key. Here is how to enable replays. https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/article/19427/

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,498 battles
1 hour ago, Pytheas said:

Submitting a ticket does very little as well. My experience with their customer service suggests they are one part feckless and two parts apathetic.

My experience is the opposite 

when a pink player started shooting me and my teammates I took a screenshot to make sure I had the name and filed a ticket, got a response from Wows that they would look into it, the next day got another response that the issue had been dealt with but it was Wows policy not to disclose the action taken 

however after the game I pm.d the Tk and we had a not so friendly chat ..in the end through these Pms, I found out he received a ban .. for how long do not know

• Cool 1

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
408 posts
3 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Reminds me of a battle when I was in my Konig. Near the beginning of the battle, an ally DD got the idea that it would be fun to shoot at me. Of course, I couldn't shoot back because I would get a penalty. He continued shooting at me even though he was getting warnings. After some dodging and help from my teammates, I escaped that player. 

Like the others have said, send some evidence to WG and they will take care of it.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
3 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Send a replay to support.

Members
586 posts

I am pretty much resigned to this game having jumped the shark.  So I am going to spend the least possible amount of money on it and use up whatever I have.   Who knows what will happen.  Maybe the game improves greatly and at that point I go back to spending money.  If not then I do not feel so bad about not playing it much. 

• Cool 2

[PQUOD]
Members
190 posts
5,944 battles

Thank you all for your suggestions. Out of curiosity. Should I just not move my ship at all and let him keep ramming? How does the automatic penalties work? Is it the ship that is moving? Is it a percentage of the other ships hit points?  Thanks again.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 hours ago, Toxic_Potato said:

I am pretty much resigned to this game having jumped the shark.  So I am going to spend the least possible amount of money on it and use up whatever I have.   Who knows what will happen.  Maybe the game improves greatly and at that point I go back to spending money.  If not then I do not feel so bad about not playing it much. 

Same here Your post says it all.

• Cool 1

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
408 posts
10 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. Out of curiosity. Should I just not move my ship at all and let him keep ramming? How does the automatic penalties work? Is it the ship that is moving? Is it a percentage of the other ships hit points?  Thanks again.

I am not sure. But I would move your ship if someone tries to ram you. It is always better to get a little damaged than to get destroyed and let the ally team lose a ship. After the battle, you can always send a report to WG about the incident.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
418 posts
1,810 battles
7 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

For the last incident there, send a replay to support for harassment is your best bet. You'll never know if they do something about it though, but it is as far as you can go. That situation is really rare, something you experience maybe once a year tops and if it is more than that then perhaps some introspective search is needed as well. Should such a situation ever arise again just let your ship come to a complete halt, as then all their efforts of damage will be on them. Just sit there until they get bored and move on. I had some of these muppets on WoT EU once boxing my tank in hoping I'd shoot at them, but I just got up and made myself a sandwich and when I returned they were off to pester someone else. Never feed the trolls.

Members
409 posts
1,503 battles

Oh look, the griefers found a way to use team damage to grief even though there is a system in place to discourage that kind of thing. Is anyone really surprised?

[PVE]
Members
8,785 posts
7,234 battles
4 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Trying to determine intent is not something the system can do. It is too complicated to code. The system applies ramming penalties to both players. But usually, you can have a ram by accident and disengage with less than 100 HP of damage most times. To go pink, you need to do roughly 10% or more of the other ship's HP in my experience. Going pink, if you have not done it lately, is a 2 game pink penalty. Repeated pinks, we are not sure of how much since the last change, make the offender go orange and you are restricted to co-op only. After being orange too much, you will start getting game bans and eventually be permanently banned. 

Members
1,238 posts
8,905 battles
7 hours ago, Leopard_IX said:

Reminds me of a battle when I was in my Konig. Near the beginning of the battle, an ally DD got the idea that it would be fun to shoot at me. Of course, I couldn't shoot back because I would get a penalty. He continued shooting at me even though he was getting warnings. After some dodging and help from my teammates, I escaped that player. 

Like the others have said, send some evidence to WG and they will take care of it.

I think that was me.....sorry m8....

only joking....but yah maybe

[WOLF2]
Members
1,068 posts
12,832 battles
14 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I don't think anyone really cares if someone is pink anymore do they? It only lasts 2 battles afaik anyways

Unless you recognize the player or had some chat interaction with him, it's not really griefing - I would say it's an unlucky coincidence you had him for 2 matches in a row, you will likely never see him again.

If someone is legitimately griefing you, why not defend yourself - ram him at speed and push him out of your way, w/e you feel like doing - you're going to get the penalty anyway so you may as well have some fun with him.

None of this has any lasting affect - why worry about it :)

Edited by Commander_367