You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
vendii

Who Needs Balance.

17 comments in this topic

[F-N-S]
Members
4 posts

I have played WOW for awhile now.  I am an avid Naval War Gamer, 1/1200, 1/2400, 1/6000. 1/600 scale ships.  Fletcher Pratt, Sea Power, all have one thing in common, a basic attempt at realism.  The Ships behave as they would or as close to as real as they would in the real world.  Physics are not ignored.  Especially things like a ships advance. The period of time it takes for the helm to answer and begin a turn.  Large ships at high speed do not turn on a dime or stop immediately.  There is surface search radar and air search radar, the Aegis system does not exist during this period of time.  So something appearing on a radar picket's display would be relayed via radio not observed by the entire team.  What is currently being called radar in WOW really does not exist and only destroys any attempt at balance.  But without it, many of its users would not play because the game would be to hard for them.  

All of that being said, the hope for balance is a waste of time.  The WOW Gamer has no desire to play something that mimics reality.  For those of you seeking balance and realism, this is not the place and you will only be frustrated. My search for a true naval game for this period will continue, but for now sticking salvos of torpedoes into someone's ship is fun.  I have even learned to ignore the many trolls in the game.  

• Cool 3
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 1

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,259 posts
3,836 battles
3 minutes ago, vendii said:

I am an avid Naval War Gamer, 1/1200, 1/2400, 1/6000. 1/600 scale ships.  Fletcher Pratt, Sea Power, all have one thing in common, a basic attempt at realism.

And thats where I stopped reading. This game is an arcade model loosely based on historical things. 
You get some Pixels that look like a warship, make some pixels on it go boom, and make some pixels that fly kind of like shells, and voila. You have a naval arcade game. Trying to incorporate any semblance of realism into Warships is like trying to incorporate some pushpins on a ferret and calling it a porcupine. 
Looks like? kinda yes
Actually is? goodness no. 

• Cool 8
  • Bad 2

[ARGSY]
5,107 posts
18,628 battles

Hardcore sims are a niche product. It was a thing when PC turned into gaming machines (Harpoon, Falcon 3.0) but by now most of the games are arcade. While I understand the enthusiast, most players didn't have the patience for a few hours match. And it would be that way if everything would be realitic. Longer fighting ranges, much lower hit rate.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,735 posts
7,354 battles

I had enough of realism when I was in the USN. Arcade is much less dangerous, much more fun.

Even better, when I get stressed, I can just go away. Realism said "NO! back to work, sailor!"

• Funny 5

[KAPPA]
Members
150 posts
4,228 battles
1 hour ago, Sledgehammer427 said:

And thats where I stopped reading. This game is an arcade model loosely based on historical things. 
You get some Pixels that look like a warship, make some pixels on it go boom, and make some pixels that fly kind of like shells, and voila. You have a naval arcade game. Trying to incorporate any semblance of realism into Warships is like trying to incorporate some pushpins on a ferret and calling it a porcupine. 
Looks like? kinda yes
Actually is? goodness no. 

It's pretty rude to not read someone's entire post and yet act like you know exactly what they said. Seriously, go read the second paragraph.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[2CUTE]
2,259 posts
3,836 battles
1 minute ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

It's pretty rude to not read someone's entire post and yet act like you know exactly what they said. Seriously, go read the second paragraph.

You're right! I lied! 
I did read the whole thing, but when a topic referring to "balance" is quickly followed by the first lines including " realism" and "miniature wargaming" I know someone is truly disappointed at the state of the game in relation to what they were expecting. I wasn't wrong. I'm glad OP is having fun torpedoing people to kingdom come and avoiding trolls. 

in all honesty he may be having more fun that I am currently, and that says a lot too. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TBW]
Members
6,322 posts
11,878 battles
1 hour ago, vendii said:

All of that being said, the hope for balance is a waste of time.

So, why did you waste your time? When all is said and done, more is said than done. How much fun would it be to reenact WW2 in real time. If your in a Cleveland you would have to wait a few years to even start playing.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Beta Testers
955 posts
3,281 battles
3 hours ago, vendii said:

I have played WOW for awhile now.  I am an avid Naval War Gamer, 1/1200, 1/2400, 1/6000. 1/600 scale ships.  Fletcher Pratt, Sea Power, all have one thing in common, a basic attempt at realism.  The Ships behave as they would or as close to as real as they would in the real world.  Physics are not ignored.  Especially things like a ships advance. The period of time it takes for the helm to answer and begin a turn.  Large ships at high speed do not turn on a dime or stop immediately.  There is surface search radar and air search radar, the Aegis system does not exist during this period of time.  So something appearing on a radar picket's display would be relayed via radio not observed by the entire team.  What is currently being called radar in WOW really does not exist and only destroys any attempt at balance.  But without it, many of its users would not play because the game would be to hard for them.  

All of that being said, the hope for balance is a waste of time.  The WOW Gamer has no desire to play something that mimics reality.  For those of you seeking balance and realism, this is not the place and you will only be frustrated. My search for a true naval game for this period will continue, but for now sticking salvos of torpedoes into someone's ship is fun.  I have even learned to ignore the many trolls in the game.  

You ever play any of the fleet series games? I've been looking for someone to show me how to play via vassal. 

Members
17,773 posts
5,084 battles
4 hours ago, vendii said:

....many of its users would not play because the game would be to hard for them. 

Well, there you go. What you want just isn't popular enough for any devs even within visual distance of mainstream.

Have you ever looked for something at Matrix Games?

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,582 battles
6 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I had enough of realism when I was in the USN. Arcade is much less dangerous, much more fun.

Even better, when I get stressed, I can just go away. Realism said "NO! back to work, sailor!"

I can say the same thing for the Army. It amazes me how many kids who play things like Call of Duty while sitting in their air-conditioned rooms sipping on their iced drinks actually think that they are training to be soldiers.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
1,238 posts
20,604 battles
6 hours ago, Sledgehammer427 said:

You're right! I lied! 
I did read the whole thing, but when a topic referring to "balance" is quickly followed by the first lines including " realism" and "miniature wargaming" I know someone is truly disappointed at the state of the game in relation to what they were expecting. I wasn't wrong. I'm glad OP is having fun torpedoing people to kingdom come and avoiding trolls. 

Then your reading comprehension skills are awful.  

• Boring 1

Members
2,397 posts
2,193 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I can say the same thing for the Army. It amazes me how many kids who play things like Call of Duty while sitting in their air-conditioned rooms sipping on their iced drinks actually think that they are training to be soldiers.

Reminds me of how the Gran Turismo people invited a few of their better players to do some actual driving/racing. I always forget to see how that panned out. As for Call of Duty and similar, I sure hope this only involves a small group of people, haha.   

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
10 hours ago, vendii said:

WG has no idea of Balance.

Just Russian Bias.

Stalingrad and Kronstadt are Russian makebelieve.

[CUTER]
Members
17 posts
6,608 battles

WOW is a different game, pls learn the difference between WOW and WOWs, thank you.

Members
981 posts
5,690 battles
15 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Yes, sledge rather ignorantly and pugnaciously agreed with th OP.

[2CUTE]
2,259 posts
3,836 battles
25 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Yes, sledge rather ignorantly and pugnaciously agreed with th OP.

ignorant and pugnacious I'm sure are somewhere on the list of traits that describe me. I was arguing with people all over the internet yesterday, accidentally carried that over into a couple posts. 
That and I wanted to use the pushpin/porcupine reference somewhere. :P 

Members
981 posts
5,690 battles
On 9/2/2018 at 9:46 AM, Sledgehammer427 said:

ignorant and pugnacious I'm sure are somewhere on the list of traits that describe me. I was arguing with people all over the internet yesterday, accidentally carried that over into a couple posts. 
That and I wanted to use the pushpin/porcupine reference somewhere. :P 

Me, I wear the label pugnacious like a badge of honor.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
typo
  • Funny 1