You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dbw86

WHEN IS 64 BIT VERSION OF WOW'S COMING?

18 comments in this topic

[-V1-]
Members
136 posts
4,426 battles

Sometime in September (this month), Apple will begin releasing in BETA it's new operating system Mojave.   That system will no longer permit any 32-bit programs to run on Apples as only 64-bit programs will be operated.    I just checked and World of Tanks is already operating at 64 bits, but World of Warships IS NOT and remains 32 bit.    WHEN will WOW's begin operating at 64 bit?????    

• Cool 3

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,334 battles

Well foo on Apple they made it work with both 32 and 64 like Win 10 or you could just not use that OS or get a PC

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

To answer your overall question, I don't think anyone knows when or if WoWs will go to 64bit.

However, in the meantime, don't upgrade to the "BETA" as you put it (in all caps that is) and you'll be fine. Moreover, if Windows is smart enough to have both 32 and 64 bit capabilities, I'm sure that the folks at Apple will ensure that will happen as well "when the finished version is released".

Not doing so would alienate their client base.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,033 posts
12,511 battles

I'm not a professional in this area, but it seems like they might be able to use a 64-bit Mac wrapper on the 32-bit executable?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,814 posts
10,697 battles

Big World engine doesn't have a 64-bit version. They need to migrate it which I doubt since the effort spent doesn't buy you any new feature. And it's not a small effort.

And that's not the worst road block. Scaleform/Flash is 32-bit only and has been abandoned by Autodesk which means there's absolutely no upgrade path whatsoever.

They may as well just rewrite it to a new game engine like WoT. But I doubt this game made enough money or has the prospect to make enough money to invest in such effort. But you never know. Maybe they are planning on doing it. And that's why most new features in game are non-client engine related like shops, resources, patches, resources, and more resources...

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,814 posts
10,697 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I'm not a professional in this area, but it seems like they might be able to use a 64-bit Mac wrapper on the 32-bit executable?

No. Wrapper or not, no 32-bit executable will be allowed. Not even command line tools. It's the fking Apple. They don't care about how much their customers invested on software or hardware.

Edited by chewonit
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,077 posts
8,720 battles
31 minutes ago, chewonit said:

Big World engine doesn't have a 64-bit version. They need to migrate it which I doubt since the effort spent doesn't buy you any new feature. And it's not a small effort.

And that's not the worst road block. Scaleform/Flash is 32-bit only and has been abandoned by Autodesk which means there's absolutely no upgrade path whatsoever.

They may as well just rewrite it to a new game engine like WoT. But I doubt this game made enough money or has the prospect to make enough money to invest in such effort. But you never know. Maybe they are planning on doing it. And that's why most new features in game are non-client engine related like shops, resources, patches, resources, and more resources...

Wows is aneough fun that if they made it fully supported for Mac then it would get attention on Mac store like WOT Blitz does and Wargaming may see a bit more revenue from that.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,259 posts
3,836 battles
1 hour ago, BURN_Miner said:

I don't think anyone knows when or if WoWs will go to 64bit.

Warships will migrate to a 64 bit format when the last 32 bit PC in Russia dies and is enbalmed to be displayed in Red Square. After a week of mourning, a patch will promptly ship with 64 bit capabilities. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,114 posts
8,741 battles

As long as Apple stays with Intel CPU's there is the Boot Camp option. There is also building a PC for gaming. 

[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles

Umm why would you want a half eaten apple? Pc is better and last longer

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,679 posts
3,459 battles

Tbh, 2007 called and wants it 32bit back.

Not sure how anything is not 64bit in 2018. They haven't sold a 32bit  consumer PC of any quality in nearly a decade.

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles
3 hours ago, chewonit said:

No. Wrapper or not, no 32-bit executable will be allowed. Not even command line tools. It's the fking Apple. They don't care about how much their customers invested on software or hardware.

Very much this.

When your company is worth a trillion dollars and is still prospering after forty-plus years of continuous operation, you can afford to snub a few die-hard digital Luddites.

[G0ATS]
Beta Testers
955 posts
3,281 battles
21 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

When your company is worth a trillion dollars and is still prospering after forty-plus years of continuous operation

Proof that some people just aren't overly bright. 

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
387 posts
6,149 battles

One more reason why I despise apple products. Google and MS are far more superior IMO.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,679 posts
3,459 battles

Someone needs to explain to me why 32bit should even be used anymore.

It's like insisting that your model T by allowed on the highway, and the speed reduced for you, despite it being 2018 and you being offered a free Mustang.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,814 posts
10,697 battles
31 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Someone needs to explain to me why 32bit should even be used anymore.

It's like insisting that your model T by allowed on the highway, and the speed reduced for you, despite it being 2018 and you being offered a free Mustang.

Your analogy is flowed. Outside of available memory space and a few new instructions, 32-bit applications are identical to 64-bit ones, without some bloat, actually. Unless your application really need more than 4GB (or 3 due to Windows' sucky architecture) of memory, there's almost no upside running in 64-bit.

Wanting everything to be in 64-bit is like insisting everyone drives a 18-wheel semi regardless the person, load, and destination.

WoWS is far from filling up 3GB of RAM. And Microsoft does a really great job on wow64 (that allows 32-bit app to run seamless on 64-bit Windows). There's really no need for a 64-bit client.

As for Apple forcing everyone to 64-bit? Fack them. And I make my living writing Mac software.

PS: That said. The sooner WG gets rid of Flash in this game, the better. And if they are spending resources on that, they may as well make the game 64-bit. Since you never know if Microsoft will pull an Apple someday.

Edited by chewonit