You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tpaktop2_1

Video - Dunkirk Movies list

12 comments in this topic

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,065 posts
12,566 battles

With Operation Dynamo coming back to Operations in WoWS with update 0.7.9, I got a movie that I had not seen that was inspired by the Dunkirk evacuation that I would like to pass on to all.

My wife and I watched  last night "Their Finest" movie. I got to say I was not bored by it. This movie got me to understand more how the movies of that time was to bolster the English moral during that trying time of history with England.

Their Finest (2017)

A former secretary, newly appointed as a scriptwriter for propaganda films, joins the cast and crew of a major production. During the London Blitz of World War II, Catrin Cole is recruited by the British Ministry of Information to write scripts for propaganda films that the public will actually watch without scoffing. In the line of her new duties, Cole investigates the story of two young women who supposedly piloted a boat in the Dunkirk Evacuation. Although it proved a complete misapprehension, the story becomes the basis for a fictional film with some possible appeal. 

Which reminds me of these other Dunkirk films

Mrs. Miniver (1942)

Dunkirk (1958)

So if you got free time and you want to binge watch the Dunkirk movies, here you go for ideas.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,065 posts
12,566 battles

And Oh I forgot this one too :Smile_facepalm:

Dunkirk (2017)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,118 posts
8,741 battles
22 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

And Oh I forgot this one too :Smile_facepalm:

Dunkirk (2017)

Awesome movie, some details are wrong but it gets the important ones right. What particularly struck me was the pilot combat chatter or actually the lack of it, only what was necessary to get the message out.

[HINON]
Members
8,785 posts
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Awesome movie, some details are wrong but it gets the important ones right. What particularly struck me was the pilot combat chatter or actually the lack of it, only what was necessary to get the message out.

Yep overall extremely well done and mostly faithful retelling of the story and it's really neat how he weaves 3 separate storylines into one at the end of the film. The music score fits perfectly and enhances the tension. The use of real props and practical effects rather than an over reliance on CGI greatly aids the film as well. I also found the ability to tell the story with such emotion while keeping dialogue throughout movie to a minimum is an impressive feat.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,118 posts
8,741 battles
32 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Yep overall extremely well done and mostly faithful retelling of the story and it's really neat how he weaves 3 separate storylines into one at the end of the film. The music score fits perfectly and enhances the tension. The use of real props and practical effects rather than an over reliance on CGI greatly aids the film as well. I also found the ability to tell the story with such emotion while keeping dialogue throughout movie to a minimum is an impressive feat.

What is even more impressive than three separate stories was three separate stories that were not told in a linear fashion. Yeah, CGI is an awesome tool when it is used correctly but it lessens a movie when over used. Less dialogue in 146 minutes than most movies have in 20 minutes and every scene was filled with emotion.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,304 posts
3,883 battles
28 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

What is even more impressive than three separate stories was three separate stories that were not told in a linear fashion. Yeah, CGI is an awesome tool when it is used correctly but it lessens a movie when over used. Less dialogue in 146 minutes than most movies have in 20 minutes and every scene was filled with emotion.

To be fair though, a bit more CGI could’ve really helped with the scope of the evacuation - something that didn’t feel that big in the film.

What I liked about Dunkirk was the amount of fear and terror they injected into the movie.  Nothing is supernatural, but the Germans almost felt so since they came, destroyed, and left pretty easily.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,118 posts
8,741 battles
5 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

To be fair though, a bit more CGI could’ve really helped with the scope of the evacuation - something that didn’t feel that big in the film.

What I liked about Dunkirk was the amount of fear and terror they injected into the movie.  Nothing is supernatural, but the Germans almost felt so since they came, destroyed, and left pretty easily.

The movie focused on the area around that dock plus many of the troops would still have been in fighting positions. The real bravery there was the French troops that fought to delay the Germans knowing they would probably not make it out.

[FOXEH]
Members
266 posts
4,326 battles

One thing I really like about the movie poster...

See the ship behind Tommy?

dd_fr_landroit.jpg

That's L'Adroit, a French destroyer beached following an attack by HE-111s. Everyone on board survived.

UPDATE: Turns out the poster one is a replica they made for the movie. Neat

CzfaphlW8AA-Kra.jpg

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,304 posts
3,883 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The movie focused on the area around that dock plus many of the troops would still have been in fighting positions. The real bravery there was the French troops that fought to delay the Germans knowing they would probably not make it out.

Aye!  If anything, Nolan should’ve focused on some of the rear guard since they were a factor of why Operation Dynamo was successful.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,065 posts
12,566 battles
On 9/1/2018 at 3:50 PM, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

Aye!  If anything, Nolan should’ve focused on some of the rear guard since they were a factor of why Operation Dynamo was successful.

That could be another movie. I would pay money to see that story.

[WOLF2]
Members
264 posts
11,912 battles

I can't post this in the topic I started, since some folks made it toxic and got it locked, but it fits in this topic.

The boatlift that evacuated half a million people.

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,118 posts
8,741 battles
14 minutes ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

I can't post this in the topic I started, since some folks made it toxic and got it locked, but it fits in this topic.

The boatlift that evacuated half a million people.

Powerful.