You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Markk9

T9 is Expensive!

44 comments in this topic

[13CLM]
Members
202 posts
1,119 battles

I just started playing the T9 Roon, I can't believe that it's 75K to repair. What is T10 going to cost to repair? I can see why people play the lower tier ships to make money, I have really liked playing the Texas, Arizona, and Graff Spree lately.

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,878 battles

It's one reason I've yet to grind out the Des Memes.  Cost of operation for the Buffalo is ludicrous.  Unless you run the repair cost reduction flags/camo plus some income flag, you're not going to make much, if any silver.  Still don't have the range upgrade on it yet, so it's a PAIN to play given a T10 BB will almost out range your main battery with their secondaries.  

[HINON]
Supertester
18,916 posts
12,446 battles

The higher the tier, the more expensive it is to play. This is to - 'encourage' the sale of premium time and premium ships. WG is a for-profit company after all.

• Cool 4

[BLHK]
Members
293 posts
3,305 battles

I think it is an intentional policy by WG to stop the top tiers being over populated and making it harder for newer players to progress because they cant get games. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,107 posts
18,628 battles

What is it.... 110k silver for repairs at T10?  If you run the Worcester with premium supplies you end up easy at 200k plus ammo. That's something like 270k

So you either 

a) buy premium time (50% extra credits)

b) use economy flags

c) buy a premium camo (-50% repairs at T10) or earn them (there were three to earn over missions by now: Yamato/Worcester/Des Moins)

d) play lower tiers // premium ships to earn the credits

or 

e) you were lucky to get the Missouri and have preferable premium account and flags for ultimate $$$

If you have the e) option you will swim after a certain time in your favorite currency and stop caring about it.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,838 posts
7,257 battles
30 minutes ago, Markk9 said:

I just started playing the T9 Roon, I can't believe that it's 75K to repair. What is T10 going to cost to repair? I can see why people play the lower tier ships to make money, I have really liked playing the Texas, Arizona, and Graff Spree lately.

T10 is 180k silver for service cost. Perma-camo cuts that by 50% to 90k. T10 perma-camo also gives +20% credits.

T9 is 120k silver and perma-camo cuts it by -20%.

Here is the whole list.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Operating_Cost

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,223 posts
3,566 battles
17 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

What is it.... 110k silver for repairs at T10?  If you run the Worcester with premium supplies you end up easy at 200k plus ammo. That's something like 270k

So you either 

b) use economy flags

c) buy a premium camo (-50% repairs at T10) or earn them (there were three to earn over missions by now: Yamato/Worcester/Des Moins)

or 

e) you were lucky to get the Missouri and have preferable premium account and flags for ultimate $$$

If you have the e) option you will swim after a certain time in your favorite currency and stop caring about it.

F: Play well consistently. 

Members
1,779 posts
5,641 battles
34 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

I think it is an intentional policy by WG to stop the top tiers being over populated and making it harder for newer players to progress because they cant get games. 

[edited]

[PVE]
Members
8,838 posts
7,257 battles
36 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

It is an intentional policy to get you to buy premium time and/or perma-camo. If you free play, then you have to grind the lower tiers to afford to play the upper tiers if you don't want to spend money. The game is free to play, but NOT free to develop.

Members
660 posts
4,248 battles

Yes higher tiers do get expensive and at a certain point your earnings start shrinking on an account without premium. That being said you can absolutely make money at T9 even without premium and while running premium consumables. But you have to be consistently decent to do so and even then you're not making enough money to buy the T10 ship or all the upgrades. You'll need some combination of lower tier ships, premium ships, premium time, permanent camos, economic flags etc. to effectively bankroll those. 

Your main problem however is that you have gone up the tiers far too quickly. You don't have nearly enough experience to be consistently effective at T9 and this is going to hurt you a lot. Go back to the lower tiers and push up some other ship lines. Otherwise your high tier experience is going to be absolutely miserable for a long time. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,779 posts
3,925 battles
21 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

Yes higher tiers do get expensive and at a certain point your earnings start shrinking on an account without premium. That being said you can absolutely make money at T9 even without premium and while running premium consumables. But you have to be consistently decent to do so and even then you're not making enough money to buy the T10 ship or all the upgrades. You'll need some combination of lower tier ships, premium ships, premium time, permanent camos, economic flags etc. to effectively bankroll those. 

Your main problem however is that you have gone up the tiers far too quickly. You don't have nearly enough experience to be consistently effective at T9 and this is going to hurt you a lot. Go back to the lower tiers and push up some other ship lines. Otherwise your high tier experience is going to be absolutely miserable for a long time. 

Yes, this. All of it.

I sometimes wonder about the wisdom of pushing up to T9 when I only have two Tier 8 ships, but the T8 ship I moved up from has now effectively been ground out twice and I felt it was time to take the step. Perhaps I am regretting it now, but whatever; it's sometimes nice to be in a Tier IX game where I am the top for once.

I also have quite a few mid-tier premium ships, both bought and won, and which make reasonably good bank; a win in one of those will easily cover my losses in the Neptune. In the meantime I need to concentrate on getting some more of my T7 ships up to T8. If I can manage to finish the Second Anniversary collection and pick up the Monarch camo, that will be outstanding; does anyone know if these crates are permanent in the Arsenal, or if they go away at the end of the patch? I already have the (won) Baltimore camo for when I've ground out the New Orleans; I just need to grind out the XP and the cash needed to buy her.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,372 posts
7,959 battles

What Lert said, with a side of the fact that they WANT you to go back to lower tiers to make money, because that helps ensure that their are always players in the lower tiers so that as new people join, they still have decent MM, as well as players they can learn from, that last part more in theory than practice, and keep things moving simply without devolving to what Warplanes had to do adding bots to random battles. Though, part of that was also butchering their player base after a rework centered mostly around one type that was mostly secretive till they dropped it on our heads for PT, then failed to listen to us, dropped it on live, and drove most of the player base away. Reasons I don't like they won't even tell us what the most basic ideas behind the rework are or anything really about it, especially after saying they want to drop it by years end, only 3 months away, because I'm seeing shadows of that critical failure looming. Not to mention USN line rework, Midway changes, and Graf Zeppelin, all in the last year, REALLY does not inspire confidence. 

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,151 posts
8,766 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

The higher the tier, the more expensive it is to play. This is to - 'encourage' the sale of premium time and premium ships. WG is a for-profit company after all.

It is also there to encourage people buying the permanent camouflages which with premium time make it possible to make credits in all but the worst face plants. This is very good and very bad as it allows people to never leave the upper tiers.

[13CLM]
Members
202 posts
1,119 battles

I'm paying for premium time and the economic signals, have the perm camo for the Roon.

I've been playing the Texas and Arizona for silver, so I'm trying to decide on the next line to work up. I original wanted to work on the British BB line, I have the warspite to use as a training ship, have 10-P British captain. But, I have been having a great time play the USN premium BB's, I might live them a shot. 

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It is also there to encourage people buying the permanent camouflages which with premium time make it possible to make credits in all but the worst face plants. This is very good and very bad as it allows people to never leave the upper tiers.

From my point of view it’s very, very good.  It’s one of the reasons I play this game.  In world of tanks my goal was to get certain tanks and play them, and I did end up unlocking 12 tier 10 vehicles and keeping 10 tier 9 vehicles that I enjoyed playing.  Well, out of these 22 tanks only 2 could be played without losing credits consistently, and that is with premium account.  So I was forced to play lower tiers to fund my favorite tanks.  And then they changed the MM to make sure my lower tiers end up bottom tier in whooping 90% of games...

In warships I stocked my port with eight T10 ships and two T9 premiums that I can play non stop whenever I want, and I really like the fact that I am not forced to play lower tiers.  I still play lower tiers when I feel like it, but not because I have to.

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,151 posts
8,766 battles
5 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

From my point of view it’s very, very good.  It’s one of the reasons I play this game.  In world of tanks my goal was to get certain tanks and play them, and I did end up unlocking 12 tier 10 vehicles and keeping 10 tier 9 vehicles that I enjoyed playing.  Well, out of these 22 tanks only 2 could be played without losing credits consistently, and that is with premium account.  So I was forced to play lower tiers to fund my favorite tanks.  And then they changed the MM to make sure my lower tiers end up bottom tier in whooping 90% of games...

In warships I stocked my port with eight T10 ships and two T9 premiums that I can play non stop whenever I want, and I really like the fact that I am not forced to play lower tiers.  I still play lower tiers when I feel like it, but not because I have to.

That people are able to play the upper tiers and make money is one of the reasons tier 5 and tier 8 get so many up tiered matches because there are more players in the upper tiers. Anything that benefits one group will be a negative to another.

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,764 battles
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

So you either 

b) use economy flags

or 

You forgot one, some people just stop playing higher tier. That is what I did, realized that I did not want to grind ship lines but captains instead. I only use my tier 8 tech tree ships to farm a first win once a day (sometimes) then use my premiums to grind captains and farm campaign/mission rewards. I did recently buy the Salem and she seems pretty cheap to play. Had a fail game (me near bottom of scoreboard) in co-op and still earned credits (like 10k) which is almost unheard of. No signals, just her standard camo. I am adding Salem to list of credit earners like MO, Kutuzov, and Tirpitz for PvE play. 

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

TX is 180k base, with all sorts of bonuses you can get it down to 108k without perma camo, 18k with perma camo during rank season, 54k with perma camo outside of rank season

plud high tier matches usually give more credit than lower ties

[LUCK]
Members
1,276 posts
19,015 battles
2 hours ago, Markk9 said:

For perspective, it used to be on average more expensive until they instituted a flat cost. If you didn't do well in battle it was exorbitantly expensive, more so than what you experience now.

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
36 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That people are able to play the upper tiers and make money is one of the reasons tier 5 and tier 8 get so many up tiered matches because there are more players in the upper tiers. Anything that benefits one group will be a negative to another.

It’s funny you should say that.  In world of tanks upper tiers are extremely costly to play, even if you pay premium.  Yet, tier 5s and tier 8s are constantly bottom tier, in over 90% of games.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,151 posts
8,766 battles
8 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

It’s funny you should say that.  In world of tanks upper tiers are extremely costly to play, even if you pay premium.  Yet, tier 5s and tier 8s are constantly bottom tier, in over 90% of games.

I haven't played enough there recently to say but didn't they change the MM and that change actually increases the bottom tier rate?

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
554 posts
5,100 battles
2 hours ago, Markk9 said:

T9 and T10 are tiers in which you need to do well  in order to make credits, if you perform poorly you will lose credits very quickly

• Cool 1

Members
17,773 posts
5,084 battles
3 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

So you either 

b) use economy flags

or 

e) you were lucky to get the Missouri....

Or f) ditch the premium supplies. If each consumable does not allow you to survive long enough extra to earn 22k more credits, not worth it.

For the most part, yes, any one of those consumables can make a huge difference under the right circumstances, but it's uncommon for one to make that big of a difference, and rare that all of them will.

Now, if credits aren't an issue for whatever reason, then yeah, load em' up!

[1NJS]
Members
420 posts
3 hours ago, Markk9 said:

If don't have the prem camo for t10 its not much fun. Prem camo on a t10 is basicly a prem ship and you can play and enjoy. 

I like my Henry but when you a 150k game with cap and planes shot down and e sinks and you make 1k because you dont have prem time. Its no fun.