You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

What to do with 1000 won doubloons?

37 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,894 battles

I got these in a Yamamoto campaign supercontainer last night.

Suggestions are welcome, but right now my considerations are:

1) Permacamo for my Queen Elizabeth. I like it, and despite the fact that I have the KGV and the Warspite, I think I want to keep it.

2) Shift my 19 point Edinburgh captain back down into the Fiji (friendlier MM, somewhat less brutal environment when bottom tier), and my Fiji captain (10 points) up into my new Neptune to make it a bit more competitive. The Edinburgh can get the Neptune captain without retraining.

3) Permacamo for the Dallas; see above.

4) Hang on to them until this happens again and give the KGV a permacamo.

All my other Tier 6 ships either have permacamo already, are premium anyway, or are temporary fixtures (e.g. Aoba). I'm not going to buy permacamo for a ship I know I'm going to sell.

5) ???

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,387 battles

Save them for judicious use! ie Don't spend it all in one place!

[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,879 battles

You could wait for port slots to be at least 50% off, and buy half a dozen extra port slots.  Those will become surprisingly helpful later on. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,894 battles
2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

You could wait for port slots to be at least 50% off, and buy half a dozen extra port slots.  Those will become surprisingly helpful later on. 

This is true, and it was an option I neglected to mention above. IIRC there have been rare occasions on which they have been on offer as low as 75dbl, but that is very rare indeed. I picked up nine, I think, last time they were on sale, and I'm starting to run out already.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,303 posts
3,653 battles

Save 100-200 doubloons for upgrade demounting, wait on captain retraining and reset discount to get your captain back to Fiji if you don't have any time constraints. 

Or if you don't have any Free XP, you can wait on one of the conversion events, and have a 35k Free XP bonus for when the RN DDs go live.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,105 posts
18,616 battles

Buy another 3k and get the Helena camo with a chance to earn them back after you are home from your vacation?

1k gold isn't that much. I would rather wait for a port slot or camo sale. Or use it as a base for the next ship sale and get the Warspite. She was 50% off last New Year sale.

Members
960 posts
5,678 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

wait on captain retraining and reset discount to get your captain back to Fiji

Might be a while. Last captain reset discount expired this past Thursday.

Free for participants in the last season of Clan Battles.

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
409 posts
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

1) Permacamo for my Queen Elizabeth. I like it, and despite the fact that I have the KGV and the Warspite, I think I want to keep it.

2) Shift my 19 point Edinburgh captain back down into the Fiji (friendlier MM, somewhat less brutal environment when bottom tier), and my Fiji captain (10 points) up into my new Neptune to make it a bit more competitive. The Edinburgh can get the Neptune captain without retraining.

All my other Tier 6 ships either have permacamo already, are premium anyway, or are temporary fixtures (e.g. Aoba). I'm not going to buy permacamo for a ship I know I'm going to sell.

5) ???

Personally, I would just use permacamo on tier 9 and 10. Below those tiers, permacamo isn't really needed. I would save the doubloons for future use like free xp conversion.

Edited by Leopard_IX

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
7,241 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

5) ???

Wait for another port slot sale?

Members
1,587 posts
4,345 battles

Do you remember whe reserve slots and port slots used to drop from containers?  I've got more than I and imagine using...sounds like WG realized their mistake on that one.  I haven't come up with much use for dubs lately...might just blow some on Captain retrains at high tier, see how that treats me. ;-)

• Cool 1

[STW-N]
Members
219 posts
7,619 battles

That's like 3 dollars worth right?  Time to retire early!

Members
321 posts
6,069 battles
20 minutes ago, Leopard_IX said:

Why would you shift a 19 pt captain down into the Fiji, and not UP into the Neptune? Fiji can do ok with a 10 pt Captain.  A Neptune, is going to be sub-par with a low skill point captain in it, and put your team at a disadvantage if you play it.

Anyway,  I would say save it or pick up a permanent camo for something you enjoy playing and plan on keeping.  Duke of York has a new camo available for 1k, as well several other ships. If you plan on keeping the Edinburgh, don't forgot the Ice camo in the anniversary shop for tokens. 

[H_]
Members
680 posts

Save them.  I've always found that when I need them, I don't have them.........  Back to game stop and then, several days later, I'm no longer needing them....  You one lucky CPT......all I ever get from SC's are junk items I'll never use....

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
409 posts
51 minutes ago, Valas1 said:

Why would you shift a 19 pt captain down into the Fiji, and not UP into the Neptune? Fiji can do ok with a 10 pt Captain.  A Neptune, is going to be sub-par with a low skill point captain in it, and put your team at a disadvantage if you play it.

Anyway,  I would say save it or pick up a permanent camo for something you enjoy playing and plan on keeping.  Duke of York has a new camo available for 1k, as well several other ships. If you plan on keeping the Edinburgh, don't forgot the Ice camo in the anniversary shop for tokens. 

I didn't say that. I think you quoted someone else. Look above at my comment. I was talking about about permacamo for tier 9 and 10 and how it is sometimes better to just save them for future use. I don't even have the Edinburgh.

Edited by Leopard_IX

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,105 posts
18,616 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You have elite XP? I never use gold to retrain my captains. I pay the 200k credits and add the other 50% I need to finish the training from my elite XP.

For the Edinburgh: you have seen that you can get a premium camo for the anniversary tokens? If you are afraid to be uptiered I can tell you it will not get better with the Neptune and Minotaur. They are the same squishy ships, just more pewpew. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,894 battles
4 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Or if you don't have any Free XP, you can wait on one of the conversion events, and have a 35k Free XP bonus for when the RN DDs go live.

I've got more than enough XP on the Weymouth to get the Medea, and I intend to enjoy the grind.

3 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Buy another 3k and get the Helena camo with a chance to earn them back after you are home from your vacation?

1k gold isn't that much. I would rather wait for a port slot or camo sale. Or use it as a base for the next ship sale and get the Warspite. She was 50% off last New Year sale.

I'm pretty sure I can get the Helena camo from the September dailies event, and I already have the Warspite.

1 hour ago, Valas1 said:

I do better in the Fiji than the higher-tier ships. The only reason I ever put him in the Edinburgh was to play Ranked. As for the Neptune, I'm still feeling my way around that ship and I don't want to commit a 19 pointer to it until I'm completely happy with the handling. The retraining grind is nasty if you don't pay for it, and I want to be using him to make XP, not consume it.

DoY is not in my port, and now that I have the KGV I have no urgency to get hold of her. Edinburgh's fixed for camo and I'd rather spend the tokens on a Space captain or a Dasha.

31 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

You have elite XP? I never use gold to retrain my captains. I pay the 200k credits and add the other 50% I need to finish the training from my elite XP.

For the Edinburgh: you have seen that you can get a premium camo for the anniversary tokens? If you are afraid to be uptiered I can tell you it will not get better with the Neptune and Minotaur. They are the same squishy ships, just more pewpew. 

I bought permacamo for the Edinburgh when they had the half price sale earlier this year, so I'm fixed for that. I've only got about 30K elite XP because I just burned through some to get Jack Dunkirk into the KGV and Jean-Jacques Honore into the Lyon. As for the uptiering, we'll see. If I ever give up play at T8 or above, it will be after I have completed all the permanent campaigns; perhaps that would be the time to consider shifting him, and by that time (a) he may not be alone and (b) he might have generated enough elite captain XP to pay for his own transfer.

[WNSTN]
Members
215 posts
10,234 battles

I would buy Bit Coins

[WOLF3]
Members
5,897 posts
2,193 battles

If that's all the Db you have, save them for little things like upgrade dismounts, slot sales, 3-pt captains, maybe some FXP.  They come in very handy. 

(Because of the Paypal sale I had a bunch extra so splurged on Dallas camo.  I'm targeting that Helena camo this month; it's beautiful.)

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles

Personally I would save them up. You never know if they will offer more later. Failing that, wait until a 35 free xp to 1 doubloon sale and cash out. I suppose buying camo with it would be a good use as well. 

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
3 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Personally I would save them up. You never know if they will offer more later.

6 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Save them.  I've always found that when I need them, I don't have them.........  Back to game stop and then, several days later, I'm no longer needing them....  You one lucky CPT......all I ever get from SC's are junk items I'll never use....

This. The WG trend is listing hard to parsimony.

7 hours ago, Pytheas said:

That's like 3 dollars worth right?  Time to retire early!

$4, assuming the $100 bundle and no other discounts.

9 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

You could donate them to my awesome stuff for me fund  :crab:

AFIAK, not possible.

I would strongly discourage buying FXP with them even at the "discount" of 1 to 35 it's a terrible exchange rate and generally never worth it unless you have quite a bit more money than time or patience. 1000 won't go far this way. I'm still sitting on 78,928 dubloons and 700K FXP (after using it to skip to Harugumo and Worcester) and have become quite a bit more thrifty than I was with them after WG killed any incentive for me to buy anything in the store I might already own part of.

[-WPG-]
Members
722 posts
3,127 battles
8 hours ago, Mahrs said:

Do you remember whe reserve slots and port slots used to drop from containers?  I've got more than I and imagine using...sounds like WG realized their mistake on that one.  I haven't come up with much use for dubs lately...might just blow some on Captain retrains at high tier, see how that treats me. ;-)

Port slots still do drop from containers. Reserve slots no longer do. 

[WOLF3]
Members
5,897 posts
2,193 battles

Port slots do still drop from containers, but they're rarer than hen's teeth.  Probably the rarest item obtainable this way. 

5 hours ago, w4spl3g said:

$4, assuming the $100 bundle and no other discounts.

$5 at the nominal exchange rate of 200 Db/$.  The standard quantity discount is negligible at quantity 1000.

(Best sale I've seen is 312 Db/$.  Some of the mixed bundles beat the 250 rate, especially when combined with a Doubloon-arama.)