You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Xanture

[Feedback] Anyone else wondering why detonation is still a thing

9 comments in this topic

[NOODL]
Beta Testers
15 posts
3,481 battles

I'm trying to figure out why detonation is still a thing. It's not a skills-based mechanic that awards any player on their gameplay. On the other hand, it's punishing for players that might be playing well (or not) but some random number generator ends their game early. We have a flag we can farm to help prevent it. Then that flag is practically necessary for ranked and clan wars. It's nice now that we have the arsenal we can dump coal into to ensure we have enough.

Still, I wonder what the purpose of detonation is. It's my experience that detonation isn't particularly rewarding when I detonate another player and is disappointing at best when I am the detonated player. This an arcade style game so the realism argument doesn't really stand because in that case, we would get flooding from main battery hits, German main battery accuracy, and tea breaks on my Royal Navy ships.

Does anyone out there really enjoy this mechanic?

• Bad 1

Members
588 posts

Somebody correct me but I thought that detentions were caused by a penetration of a magazine. So on a DD with very light armor and light magazine armor it is much more likely than a BB. Did not know that it is just a randomly generated number

[WORX]
Members
1,647 posts
12,703 battles
17 minutes ago, Xanture said:

It depends on how you "enjoy" the game. Now if you hate the mechanic because of in your opinion, its not a skill based way to sink a ship. I disagree with you.

The mechanic itself, has been nerf'd  to where it can't happen when a ship is at full HP.  Detonations, though annoying when it happens to you at a very bad moment. To me is a surprise mechanic. You really have to aim at a ships mag in order to trigger a  Det.  The realism argument is that Detonations can and has happened. The arcade argument I say its been balance to a point to where it can exist in the game.

One thing for sure it was amusing to say the least when a DD Dets a full HP BB (this was before the nerf). Now its about as rare as Ocean map. I say if it happens it happens and smile :).

Edited by Navalpride33

[SALVO]
Members
16,627 posts
17,300 battles
13 minutes ago, Xanture said:

I'm trying to figure out why detonation is still a thing. It's not a skills-based mechanic that awards any player on their gameplay. On the other hand, it's punishing for players that might be playing well (or not) but some random number generator ends their game early. We have a flag we can farm to help prevent it. Then that flag is practically necessary for ranked and clan wars. It's nice now that we have the arsenal we can dump coal into to ensure we have enough.

Still, I wonder what the purpose of detonation is. It's my experience that detonation isn't particularly rewarding when I detonate another player and is disappointing at best when I am the detonated player. This an arcade style game so the realism argument doesn't really stand because in that case, we would get flooding from main battery hits, German main battery accuracy, and tea breaks on my Royal Navy ships.

I'm sick and tired of all the "it's an arcade game" whiners.  Leave it in the game!  The fact that it's reality is why I enjoy it being in the game.

[SALVO]
Members
16,627 posts
17,300 battles
3 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

Somebody correct me but I thought that detentions were caused by a penetration of a magazine. So on a DD with very light armor and light magazine armor it is much more likely than a BB. Did not know that it is just a randomly generated number

It was still more common on DDs than BBs for the simple reason that, yes, DDs have light armor and HE shells can penetrate that light armor.  And with the explosion radius of HE shells (and the larger the HE shell, the larger the explosion radius), there's a greater chance of said explosion hitting the magazine, and thus potentially triggering a detonation.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,192 posts
8,798 battles
59 minutes ago, Xanture said:

It's not a skills-based mechanic that awards any player on their gameplay.

Neither is fire or secondaries which are also RNG. If you don't like detonations you can fly Juliet Charlie for a zero chance to detonate or use Magazine Mod 1 for a 70% reduction. If you play CW or Ranked I would save the JC's for that and just use the mod.

52 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

It doesn't need to be a penetration as splash damage can also cause a detonation. If the ships health is below 75% every time damage is caused to the magazine there is a percentage chance of detonation which increases as the magazine takes damage.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles

Oh joy, another detonation thread; cuz we've never had like a hundred of them before!

[JFSOC]
Members
913 posts
2,624 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

A game about warships having detonations, inconceivable!

xqG9nz5.gif