You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Summon3r

how do ppl stand ranked?

52 comments in this topic

[CWGC]
Members
775 posts
2,383 battles

im an ultra casual player of avg caliber id say, now when i put out 107-130k dmg in a cruiser vs a team of 7 ships i expect a win at least once in a while but not in ranked.... good lord is it more potato then standard games? or am i having terribad luck?

[FGNE]
Members
313 posts
2,397 battles

How do I stand ranked without becoming too salty?

If I run into a 3 loss streak I quit ranked for the day, and switch to randoms.

Members
855 posts
3,440 battles

I find it no different then random, except with less ships. You can expect about the same experience in terms to teams. I'm playing it to grind legendary mods. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,726 posts
7,354 battles

I sit in a chair, personally.

But, seriously. It takes persistence and a great deal of masochism to do ranked.

• Funny 1

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles
6 minutes ago, Summon3r said:

im an ultra casual player of avg caliber id say, now when i put out 107-130k dmg in a cruiser vs a team of 7 ships i expect a win at least once in a while but not in ranked.... good lord is it more potato then standard games? or am i having terribad luck?

Many/most players don't know how to win. They may be really good players and really good shots...but winning is about zone control, points...Just played a game were reds had all three caps and ship advantage....they kept charging and got deleted... a lone shima almost stole the game back because our team had the caps and lead and thought it best to sail away...well the Shima almost won the game cause our guys couldn't calculate how the game is actually won.

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
615 posts
7,709 battles

Communication is another big part, the team needs to talk to each other. Plan which cap to get first, call out targets, etc.  Even in a loss those battles are less frustrating, you know there was a good amount of effort and you weren't alone.

Follow that up with "all go B" then radio silence as the team just funnels in..

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles

Ranked has a somewhat different meta than randoms. In Randoms, a win is nice because it gives you higher XP but you can still get high XP and do well without a win. In fact, if you are trying to complete a campaign and looking for a certain award then you might not even care about a win. Ranked on the other hand requires a win to advance.

Winning is all well and good but where Ranked fails most of the time is that it throws randomly-selected teams together. Most of the time the teams don't communicate well and many times the individuals don't have a clue how to play certain maps for a Ranked win because they are used to having more players on a team.

Clan battles are probably the best way to pit small teams against each other. The problem with clan battles, however, is that the vast majority of clans are unorganized and exist only to collect oil. Therefore, you get only a small percentage of the playerbase involved.

I'd still like to see semi-permanant ranks and hosted game rooms where the players select the map and the teams. In this way players can select teams of equal skill, not just teams based on equal-tier and type of ship. I've been keeping an eye on the average stats of the teams in ranked and sometimes it's simply pathetic, like when a 59% win team is matched up against a 33% win team.   

Edited by Snargfargle

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

depends on what bracket you are currently in

since some ranks are irrevocable, people with basic understanding of the game would've went past it already

whoever are still doing low rank ranked battles right now are either super late starters, or people that have 0 idea how to play

Edited by jason199506

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
15 minutes ago, Summon3r said:

The thing is, Summon3r, those 100k damage games don't mean much if you're farming most of that damage after the battle is basically decided.  I'm not saying that to be harsh.  I've been there and done that myself.  Sometimes, you farm damage honestly throughout the battle, even after it's all but over, and sometimes a player can be farming damage without really contributing anything meaningful.  And it can be a fine line between the two. 

A Zao or a Conqueror that's trying to start fires over a number of ships but not really fighting hard to get any of them finished off may seem like a player who's just farming damage for the  sake of farming damage.  And yet, on a good team with good focus fire and team work, that  Zao or Conqueror players can be doing useful work in softening up targets for other ships to clean up.  Arguably though, I'm not sure that I think that in Ranked if you happen to have only one BB on a team, that the team can afford to have a Conqueror playing to soften up enemies.  It seems to me that if there's only one BB on the team, that BB needs to be the hammer that delivers massive blows to enemies.  When you have multiple BBs on a team, I think that you can afford to have one of them (a Conq) chipping away and starting fires, while other BBs are being the team's hammers.  But a lone BB probably needs to let his friendly cruisers do the softening up while he's hammering away with the AP to get ships sunk.

Sorry, kind of went off on a tangent.  Ranked does have more luck involved in team construction vs outcomes, for the simple reason that the teams are smaller than a 12v12 random battle.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles
Just now, jason199506 said:

whoever are still doing low rank ranked battles right now are either super late dtarters, or people that have 0 idea how to play

Through sheer luck some people who haven't a clue can get carried to relatively high ranks too. Today at rank 10 I still saw players who didn't seem to even know the basics of the ships they were playing. A few matches back I saw a DD with deepwater torpedoes keep trying to torpedo other DDs like he never could quite figure out why he wasn't getting any hits.  

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Nobody stands ranked... we all just have our own coping mechanisms. 

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
615 posts
7,709 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Through sheer luck some people who haven't a clue can get carried to relatively high ranks too. Today at rank 10 I still saw players who didn't seem to even know the basics of the ships they were playing. A few matches back I saw a DD with deepwater torpedoes keep trying to torpedo other DDs like he never could quite figure out why he wasn't getting any hits.  

Wonder if they bought a LoYang for Ranked and just free XP-ed the line thinking "that'll do"

Members
321 posts
6,069 battles

Had a match two nights ago, and it was literally just like watching a train wreck in slow motion.  I see it all the time in Randoms, but, usually not at Rank 10+.  Our team had a 200 pt lead, and ALL 3 caps.  We had an even number of ships, including 2 DD still alive.  Instead of fading away,  they kept pushing and died one by one, while we still had a points lead and all 3 caps.

I just test the waters, play a few games, and if I see lopsided matches, it's usually time to play something else.

Edited by Valas1

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,270 battles

Not a fan of ranked. Not sure why WG would invest time and effort on a mode that just causes so much hate and discontent. 

Games are supposed to be fun, not stress inducing.  

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles

Used to dedicate myself to playing Ranked when it first came out.  Got to rank 1 once.  Got all the flags since the first season.

Now, I might only grudgingly play it enough to get the flag and that's it - I'm done.  Drop it, raise my hands and back off.  It isn't worth the elevated stress.  Especially towards the end of the season, when people start getting really ugly.  You see the worst of this community during the second half of a ranked season.

There is already enough about this game that negatively alter one's mood.  Ranked takes that to whole 'nother level.

[LOU1]
Members
2,854 posts
7,987 battles

I think that if you don't read the forums a lot, you don't realize you are frustrated.  Most things that bother me about the game were not an issue until I read a few threads telling me how bad they are.  Until then, whatever it is I consider part of the game.  The best thing for my nerves is to play first and then read the forums.  This evening, I am grinding Cleveland to Salem in Ops (wasn't going for the Worcester, but changed my mind a couple of days ago).  So, threads about how bad Ranked is won't affect my attitude.  You see, I have a better WR in Ranked than Randoms, which usually makes me feel more productive.

Anyway, that's how I cope - I try to ignore the players that say it is bad.  When life gives you lemons...

Members
855 posts
3,440 battles
1 hour ago, APA_204 said:

Many/most players don't know how to win. They may be really good players and really good shots...but winning is about zone control, points...Just played a game were reds had all three caps and ship advantage....they kept charging and got deleted... a lone shima almost stole the game back because our team had the caps and lead and thought it best to sail away...well the Shima almost won the game cause our guys couldn't calculate how the game is actually won.

This drives me mad you see it time and time again, because people are more interesting in continue to go PEW PEW then to win the match. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,098 posts
8,751 battles
1 hour ago, Summon3r said:

It used to have better teams more consistently. This season has been more of a struggle to rise up, but in theory the higher you go the better teams should be. The trick is getting above the bad players as soon as possible.

Members
855 posts
3,440 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

It used to have better teams more consistently. This season has been more of a struggle to rise up, but in theory the higher you go the better teams should be. The trick is getting above the bad players as soon as possible.

From what I have seen, once you hit rank 10 you go from watching teams get deleted in the first 2 minutes to watching teams camp all together in there free cap. 

[WISCO]
[WISCO]
Members
209 posts
4,835 battles
1 hour ago, CO_Valle said:

How do I stand ranked without becoming too salty?

If I run into a 3 loss streak I quit ranked for the day, and switch to randoms.

I quit after losing 2 stars in a row.  In the past I never had much reason to push but now that you can get steel at almost every rank I am going to try and see how far I can go.  Sitting at 11.1 right now

Members
2,748 posts
6,232 battles

I've been in ranked since season four. Took it real serious at first. Ranked brings out the "best" and most anal players. Some are overly serious about the game. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
1 hour ago, Madman7 said:

Not a fan of ranked. Not sure why WG would invest time and effort on a mode that just causes so much hate and discontent. 

Games are supposed to be fun, not stress inducing.  

Madman, I don't think that the problem is the concept of a Ranked mode. I think that the problem is in the execution of it, the design of the ranked "scoring" system that's too dependent on win or lose with no importance placed on how productive or skillful the players were.  The result is that there are always some less than skillful and productive players who get carried upward in the ranks.  IMO, it'd be better if the ranked scoring system factored in both winning/losing as well as productivity.  This could end up rewarding skillful play as well as not completely ignoring winning and losing.  But it'd also make life a lot more difficult on less skillful, less productive players who move up on the coat tails of better players.  

[RKLES]
Members
7,098 posts
8,751 battles
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Madman, I don't think that the problem is the concept of a Ranked mode. I think that the problem is in the execution of it, the design of the ranked "scoring" system that's too dependent on win or lose with no importance placed on how productive or skillful the players were.  The result is that there are always some less than skillful and productive players who get carried upward in the ranks.  IMO, it'd be better if the ranked scoring system factored in both winning/losing as well as productivity.  This could end up rewarding skillful play as well as not completely ignoring winning and losing.  But it'd also make life a lot more difficult on less skillful, less productive players who move up on the coat tails of better players.  

Yeah because you can be the best player in the battle and still lose if you had 6 absolutely clueless players.

[BIAS]
Members
3,028 posts
8,982 battles
44 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I prefer to stay behind and rank out late with the bad layers filling the ranks. You have less effect on a match and rarely save your star if everyone is better than you. It's way easier if everyone is worse than you.