Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Markk9

Jack Ryan on Amazon

13 comments in this topic

[13CLM]
Members
202 posts
1,116 battles

I love Clancy, I've read all of his works. It's a good show, but doesn't follow the books at all.

[HINON]
Members
8,800 posts
1 hour ago, Markk9 said:

I love Clancy, I've read all of his works. It's a good show, but doesn't follow the books at all.

I guess that isn't too surprising considering how much liberty many of the movies took with source material. In some cases they completely botched the overall plot making it nonsensical, which is a shame as Clancy has such nice detail oriented stories.

Members
587 posts

What the guy from the Office isn’t cutting it as Jack Ryan ? 

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

He was definitely the next Harrison Alec Ben Ford!!!!!!!

Amazon Theatrics is having a hard time just keeping the junior and wanna be Weinstein’s from their ranks. So......guy from the Office.

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles

I watched the pilot for this series and I can tell you that I'm impressed. I, for one, don't want a TV show or movie to follow the book exactly because then it's just boring. What I prefer is a show that is in the spirit of the books. If the subsequent episodes are as good as the first this stands to be a very good series. 

Now if only they could have gotten someone who knew more about the military to make up Ryan's military records. It may seem to be a little thing but when they have a lieutenant at pay grade "E05" it stands out like a sore thumb to someone who knows military ranks.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,306 posts

I've seen some really poor reviews. And it's produced by Michael Bay... so already it's doomed to be an explosion-fueled "Murika #1" testosterone-pandering mess that focuses more on over-zealous patriotism than any actual story.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
8 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

I've seen some really poor reviews. And it's produced by Michael Bay... so already it's doomed to be an explosion-fueled "Murika #1" testosterone-pandering mess that focuses more on over-zealous patriotism than any actual story.

Sounds like a match made in heaven for Clancy then.

[SOUP]
7,306 posts
17 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Sounds like a match made in heaven for Clancy then.

Cept with Clancy, it has a level of intellect and class. If Michael Bay had directed The Hunt for Red October, that scene where Jonesy talks about Paganini would have been replaced with... I don't know... what's some famous American rock group that you guys all fawn over? Only rock groups I can think of are all British...
Anyway, with Bay, it pretty much starts and stops here:

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Well, as your people would say: Touché

And for the record if you need a band to associate with Michael Bay, I recommend Aerosmith. The soundtrack to Armageddon may as well be their "Greatest Hits" album.

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
7,306 posts
10 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Well, as your people would say: Touché

And for the record if you need a band to associate with Michael Bay, I recommend Aerosmith. The soundtrack to Armageddon may as well be their "Greatest Hits" album.

Oh yeeeaaaa, those guys...
Well, I finally drew the line for Bay-type entertainment when The Last Ship came out. The entire plot is absolutely baffling....     They say the ship was cut off cause it was under radio silence....does that include things like satellite downlinks? GPS? Hell.... passively listening to radios? It's not like that radio station down the street knows I'm tuned to their station.
(Fun side fact, if you live near a radio transmitter, on a good clear day if you have a set of computer speakers plugged into electricity but not outputting sound from your PC, the radio waves can interact with the wires to make an improvised receiver)

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

If we're including vidya games in that category, for me it was CoD Modern Warfare 2.  That plot was just... SO insane and over the top. It was like Clancy meets James Bond while Michael Bay is on pyrotechnics duty. Which is a darn shame because the original CoD4 (yes it will always be that to me) was a friggin' masterpiece of a shooter.

[SOUP]
7,306 posts
1 minute ago, Landsraad said:

If we're including vidya games in that category, for me it was CoD Modern Warfare 2.  That plot was just... SO insane and over the top. It was like Clancy meets James Bond while Michael Bay is on pyrotechnics duty. Which is a darn shame because the original CoD4 (yes it will always be that to me) was a friggin' masterpiece of a shooter.

Yeah the big companies kinda died around then when they feel into the greed-back loop of offering the same thing over and over with a slightly new title.   Now they're doing it with film and television, but now they're just retelling the same half-dozen stories over and over but with familiar IPs pasted over top like poorly-made texture mods.   Hell, there was a time I think around when Mass Effect 3 came out where EVERY game poster was the same pose of the main character with his head tilted slightly down while staring forward intensely.

But I won't distract further from the topic. In the end it falls to what the consumers want, and it seems Americans want their entertainment devoid of intellect and comprised mainly of pyrotechnics and some guy in a suit pointing to a drone or satellite photo of somewhere in the Middle-East and shouting something like "That person is the key to all this! Find that person!".     Tell me I'm wrong, I dare you. Tell me they haven't done that in Jack Ryan yet!   xD

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles

I've watched a few episodes now and you can tell that they are really trying, if not completely succeeding, in telling a good story. I like the way that the "bad guys" aren't portrayed as totally evil but are shown with families and having reasons for doing what they do. One thing I don't like is that there is quite a bit of "SJW" content tacked so crudely that it stands out like a sore thumb. Also, they tend to kill off some of the more interesting characters just when you are starting to like them. Overall I give it more of a "worth watching" than a "forget about it" though.

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

it seems Americans want their entertainment devoid of intellect 

Not all Americans. However, you have to realize that if you produce content that only those of higher intelligence can understand then you are going to alienate your "bread and butter" audience.

Someone once said that you should gear your teaching toward those of more-or-less average intelligence because the really slow ones are never going to get it and the really smart ones are going to figure it out for themselves. 

I would have thought that you would have liked at least some of Jack Ryan though because much of it currently takes place in France, where the people are speaking in French with English subtitles. One of the more interesting characters was a French intelligence captain, played by the French-Canadian actress Marie-Josée Croze, but unfortunately they killed her off.   

Sign in to follow this