You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kombat_W0MBAT

Ocean - For those that hate it...

31 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Supertester
5,145 posts
8,942 battles

... you're not alone.

However, please don't be a sourpuss about it. :dance_turtle:

Spoiler

uiItl4F.jpg

Spoiler

70fMyOo.png

Spoiler

dXFaZc7.png

Cheers

KW

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[CAST]
Members
1,158 posts
7,174 battles

If a player doesn't like the map, I can understand.  However, one has to at least give 100%, because everyone is playing at the same advantage/disadvantage.  Giving up is just selfish. 

I actually don't mind the ocean map.  It's just a different game.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,606 posts
13,210 battles

:cap_yes:Well if he went out swinging hes at least not AFK

And to tell the truth I used to not like it either yet I find it enjoyable now

Edited by silverdahc

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
1 minute ago, silverdahc said:

:cap_yes:Well if he went out swinging hes at least not AFK

He suicided and essentially refused to play.  IMO, he should receive a suspension for his unsportsmanlike conduct.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles

Ocean is the best map in the game, bar none.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,606 posts
13,210 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

He suicided and essentially refused to play.  IMO, he should receive a suspension for his unsportsmanlike conduct.

O don't get me wrong I agree with you, its obviously a case of bad play:fish_viking:

But I was just saying it could have been worse :fish_haloween:

Edited by silverdahc

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
1 minute ago, silverdahc said:

O don't get me wrong I agree with you, its obviously a case of bad play:fish_viking:

The thing is, we don't know if he "went out swinging" or if he just aimed his ship towards the enemy and sailed towards the enemy, and walked away from his computer.  Either way, I'd be ticked.  But at least if he suicided while fighting, it'd be a smidge less bad.

Members
2,442 posts
12,175 battles

When you get Ocean as a Des Moines, or spec a ship for AA and don't get a CV for 37 games straight.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,606 posts
13,210 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The thing is, we don't know if he "went out swinging" or if he just aimed his ship towards the enemy and sailed towards the enemy, and walked away from his computer.  Either way, I'd be ticked.  But at least if he suicided while fighting, it'd be a smidge less bad.

could be that he's justa wombat hater?:cap_popcorn:

I know KW's killed me in few games,  Maybe Kombat killed him before?

I'm not saying I'm a hater by the way KW but one of these days :cap_rambo:

Edited by silverdahc

[STURM]
Members
268 posts
2,764 battles
1 minute ago, APA_204 said:

When you get Ocean as a Des Moines, or spec a ship for AA and don't get a CV for 37 games straight.

Last time I got Ocean, I was in a divison-less radar YueYang, and there was a CV.

I still played the best I could, but I was pretty ineffective, and got blown up the first time i tried to close to radar range.

Still, I tried at least. Hating the map or MM and just quitting means you shouldn't be playing at all.

Members
2,442 posts
12,175 battles
2 minutes ago, Baskerville77 said:

Last time I got Ocean, I was in a divison-less radar YueYang, and there was a CV.

I still played the best I could, but I was pretty ineffective, and got blown up the first time i tried to close to radar range.

Still, I tried at least. Hating the map or MM and just quitting means you shouldn't be playing at all.

I like Cheeseburgers.

[RNDM]
Members
97 posts
2,614 battles

I think I have played Ocean once and I got team killed by a friendly Zao's torps at close range. I like the map because of the different experience and play style but the game it self was bad because other players hated the map so much. I would appreciate getting another chance to play this map but I never see it. Please can we see this map more frequently maybe instead of playing epicenter over and over again?

[-BRS-]
Members
1,606 posts
13,210 battles
Just now, APA_204 said:

I like Cheeseburgers.

I like bacon on mine also

[WORX]
Members
1,642 posts
12,695 battles

Ocean is not for NOOBs. mainly the one who complain about the map are the ones cant seem to suceed in it. Since the map is rare atm, throwing a game in the map is a better excuse then playing it. Fo that reason I say bring back ocean map into the regular circulation.

As for me I hate all tier 10 maps. Not because they're not artfully impressive in imagination, but, it really doesn't help out the two fleets when its better to start at one side of the map then the other. Some tier 10 maps, starting on one side it gives the adv to that team, the other team has to over come that adv. Ocean on the other hand its a 50/50 win regardless on where you start at. I love OCEAN for that fact.

[LOU1]
Members
2,871 posts
7,996 battles

It would be interesting if players mentioned what ships they like playing on Ocean.  I am most interested in hearing from the Mino and Des Moines drivers.  What techniques do you use with short range, low caliber guns to be effective AND enjoy the experience.  Is it the challenge of kiting from more than one ship?

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,024 posts
10,186 battles

You guys all need to git GUD!

That Kii was obviously moving into torpedo range to aggressively counter the enemies push! He only seemed like he was giving up - it was a ploy to hog all the D-MAGE for himself!

Those deadly 3 per side with the awe inspiring 6km range!  Come get some damage BOIS!

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,799 posts
18,709 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Ocean is the best map in the game, bar none.

Agreed !

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
779 posts
6,640 battles
19 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

It would be interesting if players mentioned what ships they like playing on Ocean.  I am most interested in hearing from the Mino and Des Moines drivers.  What techniques do you use with short range, low caliber guns to be effective AND enjoy the experience.  Is it the challenge of kiting from more than one ship?

For something like a Des Moines or Worcester, I'd start out the match by shadowing one of my allied DDs as they make their way into a cap. The idea is to support them to try and score a quick kill on a contesting enemy DD, or get a free cap. If you assist in getting a kill, you've already given your team a nice advantage as DDs are very strong on Ocean. Try to play on the strengths of the ship. Not every cruiser has to play like a Hindenburg or Henri IV.

After that you can continue to support your DDs or break off to provide some DPM for the team if the former is too risky or unneeded. If you have to shoot out in the open, try to do it a little off to the side away from the main stand-off. You don't want to be sailing shoulder to shoulder with your BBs in the main battle group as that is a quick way to get focused down and killed. By shooting from the flanks, the enemy will have to make a choice between shooting at your teammates to the front, or waste time swinging their guns to fire on you. Thus, alleviating some pressure from your teammates while giving you the opportunity to control the engagement (continue shooting while dodging their shots, or slip back into concealment when you see enemy guns rotating towards you.)

It may not always work, but this would be my initial game plan for low concealment/high DPM cruisers on Ocean.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
15 minutes ago, Cruiser_Chicago said:

For something like a Des Moines or Worcester, I'd start out the match by shadowing one of my allied DDs as they make their way into a cap. The idea is to support them to try and score a quick kill on a contesting enemy DD, or get a free cap. If you assist in getting a kill, you've already given your team a nice advantage as DDs are very strong on Ocean. Try to play on the strengths of the ship. Not every cruiser has to play like a Hindenburg or Henri IV.

After that you can continue to support your DDs or break off to provide some DPM for the team if the former is too risky or unneeded. If you have to shoot out in the open, try to do it a little off to the side away from the main stand-off. You don't want to be sailing shoulder to shoulder with your BBs in the main battle group as that is a quick way to get focused down and killed. By shooting from the flanks, the enemy will have to make a choice between shooting at your teammates to the front, or waste time swinging their guns to fire on you. Thus, alleviating some pressure from your teammates while giving you the opportunity to control the engagement (continue shooting while dodging their shots, or slip back into concealment when you see enemy guns rotating towards you.)

It may not always work, but this would be my initial game plan for low concealment/high DPM cruisers on Ocean.

For what it's worth, in a DM or a Woostah, depending on how you've set it up, you can get pretty good range out of your guns, so kiting is possible.  Maybe not easy, but doable.  What's harder is being in something like, say, a tier 8 cruiser with shorter ranged guns, like an Atago or a Cleveland.  Even an Edinburgh is doable, as long as you have smoke.

2 hours ago, Baskerville77 said:

I love the Ocean map in a DD, but I can definitely sympathize with you being in a radar YY in a CV battle.  You might end up perma-spotted.  About the only thing you have in your favor is decent long range DWTs.

Currently, I think that Ocean might be an even better map for mid tier ships than high tier ships.  No higher than battle tier 6 or 7, I'd think.  Less radar (or no radar, if battle tier 6), more open space to work with given that gun ranges are a bit shorter.  But you'd also see ships needing to get in a little closer.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Ocean is not for NOOBs. mainly the one who complain about the map are the ones cant seem to suceed in it. Since the map is rare atm, throwing a game in the map is a better excuse then playing it. Fo that reason I say bring back ocean map into the regular circulation.

As for me I hate all tier 10 maps. Not because they're not artfully impressive in imagination, but, it really doesn't help out the two fleets when its better to start at one side of the map then the other. Some tier 10 maps, starting on one side it gives the adv to that team, the other team has to over come that adv. Ocean on the other hand its a 50/50 win regardless on where you start at. I love OCEAN for that fact.

You're right, NP33.  Because Ocean is featureless, there is no real advantage to where you spawn.  Oh, I suppose it's possible that some people might prefer spawning in the middle of the spawn formation than at either edge.  But that'd be about the only difference.

I also agree about all high tier maps.  They're all roughly clones of one another.  No imagination to them at all.  The only high tier map with some imagination, I suppose, is the current Tears of the Desert.  I personally like that map now, but even I'll say that it's not a true standout map.  Just a little better than the competition.  It's got nothing on the true gem of high tier maps, i.e. the original Islands of Ice.  Now, that map had originality and imagination.  And it drives me nuts that WG just doesn't get it that that is/was a great map, even if it might have been a little too big (which should be entirely fixable).  It also drives me nuts that they won't bring it back, and rename the current (or the new) version of Ice to something else so that we can have 2 Arctic maps.

On top of that, I believe that the game needs a couple of new mid tier maps.  How long has it been since there's been a new mid tier map for randoms?  I don't remember when that was.  They could remedy this by using that map from the last tier 6 Ranked season, adding caps for domination and standard modes, and adding that map to the game.  It was a decent enough map, IMO.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
3 hours ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

dXFaZc7.png

This is hilarious in light of the fact that most WW2 battles were open water battles; do ya think that this guy might be an island hider?