You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Phasferous

Nelson or the Yet to be released Alaska?

67 comments in this topic

[RAWR]
Members
424 posts

So I missed out on the Mighty Mo before it was taken down (grinding Free XP is rough), however I haven't bought the Musashi yet either due to it's overall rating compared to the Mo being far worse. In both major stats and credits earned after battles.

And no with the Musashi being in the Arsenal to buy with Coal, I have even less of a reason to use Free XP to buy it. I am wondering however if I should buy the Nelson or the up-coming and uncertain Alaska? I play BBs and Cruisers mostly, so either is a plus to me. However the Alaska is really a unknown at this time, but a friend suggested I should wait to get it instead. I have a bit over 415 free xp at the time of this writing.

Thoughts and Suggestions?

[RAWR]
Members
424 posts

Also have they said anything about if or when they will bring back the Might Mo? Or is it essentially gone for good now?

• Cool 1

[MORSV]
Beta Testers
203 posts
2,504 battles

You summed everything up pretty nice . I would just repeat what your friend said.

• Bad 1

[RAWR]
Members
424 posts
1 minute ago, berree said:

You summed everything up pretty nice . I would just repeat what your friend said.

Get the Alaska? A bit confused here.

[MORSV]
Beta Testers
203 posts
2,504 battles

Wait and see I meant . No point in getting a terrible ship unless you are a collector.

• Cool 1

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
446 posts
950 battles

There is still no definite word on whether Alaska will be coal or FXP, so most are waiting until they know.

• Cool 2

[1NJS]
Members
420 posts
14 minutes ago, Phasferous said:

So I missed out on the Mighty Mo before it was taken down (grinding Free XP is rough), however I haven't bought the Musashi yet either due to it's overall rating compared to the Mo being far worse. In both major stats and credits earned after battles.

And no with the Musashi being in the Arsenal to buy with Coal, I have even less of a reason to use Free XP to buy it. I am wondering however if I should buy the Nelson or the up-coming and uncertain Alaska? I play BBs and Cruisers mostly, so either is a plus to me. However the Alaska is really a unknown at this time, but a friend suggested I should wait to get it instead. I have a bit over 415 free xp at the time of this writing.

Thoughts and Suggestions?

I would wait for Alaska. It will probably be out in the next 6 months and you will need that time to get your XP. If they are going to take Nelson then I would get it.

• Cool 2

[RAWR]
Members
424 posts
9 minutes ago, berree said:

Wait and see I meant . No point in getting a terrible ship unless you are a collector.

I was looking to get it so I could use it for training RN captains. Since I don't have any RN BBs to do that with.

2 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I would wait for Alaska. It will probably be out in the next 6 months and you will need that time to get your XP. If they are going to take Nelson then I would get it.

Are they taking the Nelson away? Do you know if they've said they plan to?

[1NJS]
Members
420 posts
Just now, Phasferous said:

I was looking to get it so I could use it for training RN captains. Since I don't have any RN BBs to do that with.

Are they taking the Nelson away? Do you know if they've said they plan to?

No I have not heard anything but its been there a long time

[RAWR]
Members
424 posts
1 minute ago, jags_domain said:

No I have not heard anything but its been there a long time

Think they are going to remove it? Based on past WGing choices.

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
581 posts

I am in pretty much the same "boat" (pun not intended).....except that I have Missouri already.

The Alaska has not been confirmed to be a Coal or FXP ship yet.  It could be both, or only one.

My advise to you is WAIT.  You may be able to get all the FXP for 2 ships and the coal for the other.

I am in the waiting mode - hopefully they will have a conversion event (1:35, DB for FXP) sometime in the near future.  This combined with the Admiral's Bounty package in the Premium shop means that Alaska, Nelson and Musashi may be in the cards all at once.  If there is no conversion event, I am content with having the French Richelieu (with a similar gun setup and faster speed) as a substitute for Nelson.....although I did wait 4 months for an event to get the MO!

If a training ship for the British BB line is what you want, Hood, DOY and Warspite are in the premium shop.  Just wish you would have been here a couple of months ago to get the DOY via missions.  Would only recommend Warspite however!

Update - 9/20/18 - The conversion event last day is today!   Highly suggest getting those DB's and converting your XP - you never know what is next (Alaska, Wichita, West Virginia, Vanguard, Dreadnought) 

• Cool 1

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
446 posts
950 battles
8 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Hopefully it will be out in the next 3-4 months as the testers now have it to play with.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,907 posts
12,441 battles

One is a fun and novel, somewhat overpowered battleship, the other is a twice-as-expensive, complete unknown.

• Cool 1

[RAWR]
Members
424 posts
14 minutes ago, jmanII said:

I am in pretty much the same "boat" (pun not intended).....except that I have Missouri already.

The Alaska has not been confirmed to be a Coal or FXP ship yet.  It could be both, or only one.

My advise to you is WAIT.  You may be able to get all the FXP for 2 ships and the coal for the other.

I am in the waiting mode - hopefully they will have a conversion event (1:35, DB for FXP) sometime in the near future.  This combined with the Admiral's Bounty package in the Premium shop means that Alaska, Nelson and Musashi may be in the cards all at once.  If there is no conversion event, I am content with having the French Richelieu (with a similar gun setup and faster speed) as a substitute for Nelson.....although I did wait 4 months for an event to get the MO!

If a training ship for the British BB line is what you want, Hood, DOY and Warspite are in the premium shop.  Just wish you would have been here a couple of months ago to get the DOY via missions.  Would only recommend Warspite however!

I was here during the Duke of York even, however I gave up because the grind was so bad, unless you bought the ship outright. Since all the missions for that even were made 10 times easier if you bought the ship then used it.

I think it was after that event I quit for a while. Also I am looking at ships that I can get without paying real money at this time. Hence why I only referenced the Nelson.

[RAWR]
Members
424 posts
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

One is a fun and novel, somewhat overpowered battleship, the other is a twice-as-expensive, complete unknown.

Essentially what I was thinking when I posted the original post. Just wanted others input to see what they thought.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
446 posts
950 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Twice, eh?

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,023 posts
10,174 battles

I agree with Lert that the Nelson is a novel ship and very fun to play.  9 forward firing 16" guns combined with Brit HE and the superlative Heal of the tier 10 Conqueror makes for a fun ship at tier 7.  I bought the Kronstadt  upon release since I had enjoyed both the Missouri and Nelson so much, and frankly I was a bit disappointed.  Since the armament and role will be similar to the Alaska, I think that the two ships will be similar in overall playstyle - a playstyle that did not excite me frankly.  I'd get the Nelson first, and wait for the Alaska to be out for 3-6 months to see what the consensus is on how she plays.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,907 posts
12,441 battles
1 minute ago, Bonfor said:

Twice, eh?

All T9 FXP ships have cost twice the amount of FXP to unlock as Nelson, give or take.

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles

I have 626,00 FXP and am saving it for the Kronshtadt but was thinking I might wait and see what the Alaska brings. At any rate I should have the FXP for one of them in a week and then it will take about another 2 months to get the other. The Nelson is a fun BB by the way.

Operations with signals and camo is where to get the FXP. With a division not random. This game was more for captain XP but did pretty well with FXP too.

shot-18_08.13_23_08.22-0358.thumb.jpg.995b3b94cf4730ff8c684d09fcd5df9d.jpg

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[RAWR]
Members
424 posts
3 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

I agree with Lert that the Nelson is a novel ship and very fun to play.  9 forward firing 16" guns combined with Brit HE and the superlative Heal of the tier 10 Conqueror makes for a fun ship at tier 7.  I bought the Kronstadt  upon release since I had enjoyed both the Missouri and Nelson so much, and frankly I was a bit disappointed.  Since the armament and role will be similar to the Alaska, I think that the two ships will be similar in overall playstyle - a playstyle that did not excite me frankly.  I'd get the Nelson first, and wait for the Alaska to be out for 3-6 months to see what the consensus is on how she plays.

Think you are the first person to say get the Nelson and then work towards getting more Free XP and see if the Alaska is worth all the excitement.

Watched iChase's video on it, seemed like it's a pretty good ship. Not counting the AA or Secondaries.

Anyone know if Might Mo is coming back at all? If it's anything I struggle with in this game, it's the credit grind. Just really rough.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,907 posts
12,441 battles
3 minutes ago, Phasferous said:

Anyone know if Might Mo is coming back at all?

Don't hold your breath.

• Bad 1

Members
6,624 posts
25,266 battles

I'd say Nelson if you like BBs. Good and fun.

Alaska? Nobody knows what, when, how much.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,848 posts
3,518 battles
20 minutes ago, Lert said:

Don't hold your breath.

Pigeon said "never say never" but I would agree that the odds of it coming back are borderline non-existent 

[BIAS]
Members
3,024 posts
8,982 battles

No one has any idea how Jean Bart, Alaska or Bourgogne will be coming to the game.