You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #109 - Stalingrad

118 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
18,904 posts
12,441 battles

gkvgdXc.gif

*insert terminator theme*

• Cool 6
  • Funny 7
  • Bad 1

[5D]
Members
1,183 posts
7,091 battles

Oh I've been looking forward to reading this!

*Edit*

Okay, now that I've read this..

"Stalingrad doesn't supplement her, she replaces her outright."

I can agree to this for random battles to an extent. But my experience with competitive screams at me to point out that it's only true in randoms. Moskva is nowhere near replaced in the competitive world. The extra tankyness of the Moskva in addition to her hydro is invaluable. Stalingrad cannot outright replace Moskva in competitive arenas.

Edited by Spartias
  • Cool 4

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,722 posts
7,354 battles

So, basically Kron all over again, but at T10. :Smile_trollface:

(I still say Kron is overpowered, but no-one agrees with me.)

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,977 posts
7,643 battles

It's balanced.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 12

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,501 battles

Thanks Mouse for all your work and Awsome input ... Do I want the Stalingrad... not a freakin Chan...

wait a sec... rethinking  YES YES YES !!, just need some steel about a year and a half I figure !!

Members
495 posts
168 battles

SoonTM to be made available to the general community without competitive participation due to large revenue losses.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,501 battles
Just now, Sbane12 said:

SoonTM to be made available to the general community without competitive participation due to large revenue losses.

Make it so please

• Cool 2

[NZS]
367 posts
8,958 battles

I wonder how many players will drop their Russian cruiser grinds entirely purely because this ship exists...

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,659 posts
9,977 battles
19 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Ironically, for all of the skill needed to earn Stalingrad, she is a vessel that requires so very little to play.

Well, that's a shame and I'd have to call the boat a failure on that basis.

On the other hand I'm not sure who this boat would make happy without it being OP.

• Never built - not for the history purists
  • No specific niche - overlaps with Kronshtadt and Moskva
  • A pain in the neck to get
  • 11th Russian premium cruiser (priorities... priorities....)
  • Risk of upsetting T10 competitive meta - you may argue that it hasn't but the risk was there and given there may be meta shifts with an immutable premium, it's not over
  • Stomps on pubs generating resentment

Why on earth did WG decide to do this...

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Members
5,731 posts
3,912 battles

No hydro. Bad manoeuvrability. Duly noted next time I'm in my Neptune and see one of these.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,904 posts
12,441 battles
2 minutes ago, mofton said:

Risk of upsetting T10 competitive meta - you may argue that it hasn't but the risk was there and given there may be meta shifts with an immutable premium, it's not over

My fear is that this ship will change the tier 10 competitive meta to 'whoever brings the most Stalingrads wins'. It's basically 3/4 of a BB for the low, low price of a CA slot.

• Cool 8
  • Bad 1

[FAE]
Members
2,116 posts
2,507 battles

I'm glad to see that this review, you've cleared stated the opinion that its OP, and why it is. 

Do you think that the level of effort required for this ship really deserves to be OP? Or do you think it should have been down-tuned a little bit to be a strong competitor to Moskva? 

[NGA-B]
Members
1,195 posts
7,604 battles

So pretty much what we were predicting, an upgrade over both Kron and Moskva. But a bit dull in the gameplay department. Hopefully Cossack will be a bit spicier.

[WUDPS]
4,718 posts
4,514 battles

high tier soviet boat overpowered 

dreams.metroeve_shock-dreams-meaning.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

so... a few points

1) while on paper GK might have worse concealment, the difference in concealment expert(12% to cruisers vs 14% to battleships) means in practice a GK will outspot a stalingrad

2) how is this thing even good, not to mention overpowered..........i tried her out in rank, and it only took ONE battle for me to make the decision to never use her to rank again.

sure she has best guns, but her hull weakness is even more extreme than yamato(at least yamato doesnt have 2km worse concealment than any other TX BB)

combine that with her inability to damage angled cruisers(her HE DPM is lower than roon).......she might be good random "seal club" ship, but i dont see her perform in places where enemies know what "angling" means

in my limited experience with her, whenever my enemy cruiser/BB angles towards me, it becomes downright frustrating

when im in other cruisers, if enemy angle, HE spam

but for stalingrad since she cant overmatch other cruisers, shooting AP at cruiser bow is much like shooting 12 montana AP at another bow in montana and hope for any superstructure penetration. yes you can get 8k salvo occasionally, but all bounce 0 damage is as likely

as for HE, her DPM is lower than roon, making her HE borderline unusable

though stalingrad AP might have BB like penetration curve, the calibre makes her unable to perform like BB

in any BB, when i dont see a broadside target, i can always turn to a bow-in/kiting cruiser and blap their bow/stern for 4455/4884/4785 sometimes even 5 digit AP damage

the same cannot be done with stalingrad. when enemy pay attention to stalingrad, her AP threat becomes non-existent and her HE is just bad, making her a ship that solely relies on enemy making mistakes

and i really dont like this

Edited by jason199506
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,904 posts
12,441 battles
3 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

2) how is this thing even good, not to mention overpowered..........i tried her out in rank, and it only took ONE battle for me to make the decision to never use her to rank again.

You're welcome to write your own review. The more, the better. Not saying this to be mean or to 'white knight' Mouse - she doesn't need anyone to do that for her. But if your opinion about a ship is so strong, I'd love to read about it in all the detail you can provide why.

• Cool 3

[HYDRO]
Members
1,305 posts
3,661 battles

Thank you for the review, you are right, rarity isn't an argument for not balancing a ship.

That said, it will be interesting to see how the next Clan Battles season will shape up. I hope it doesn't get too bad.

On a sidenote, does the next ship to be reviewed have to do with  certain people that belong in an East- Slavic speaking group :Smile_hiding:?

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

You're welcome to write your own review. The more, the better.

edited my reasons in, probably will  edit my original post again in a bit

im not a ST/CC so i wont bother with forcing myself to play ships that make me want to punch through my screen, so naturally i dont have enough experience to generate a review(nor the ability to produce a wall of text that is pleasant to read)

all i can do is provide my current experience, and the reasons why i dont like this ship

maybe other people/mouse(who played the ship more than i did) can give me a solution to issue i have with this thing

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
1,977 posts
7,643 battles
33 minutes ago, Lert said:

My fear is that this ship will change the tier 10 competitive meta to 'whoever brings the most Stalingrads wins'. It's basically 3/4 of a BB for the low, low price of a CA slot.

The DPM is still lower than Moskva so it falls behind in the DPM meta, and the current counters to Moskva are amplified against Stalingrad, so there's nothing to be afraid of. Then there's also Conqueror....

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

gkvgdXc.gif

*insert terminator theme*

Thumbs up for the Kitty thumbs up!  :cap_like:

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,032 posts
7,609 battles
27 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

I'm glad to see that this review, you've cleared stated the opinion that its OP, and why it is.

Do you think that the level of effort required for this ship really deserves to be OP? Or do you think it should have been down-tuned a little bit to be a strong competitor to Moskva? 

It's a complicated issue.  I've got the admittedly negative opinion that since World of Warships isn't terribly balanced anyway, that I can give this one a let.  However, I am conscious of the fact that Wargaming will be introducing the next impossible-to-casually-grind-for premium within the next 6 months to a year in order to give people that already have Stalingrad, Black and Flint something else to strive for.  If that ship also ends up being unbalanced, well... you see where this is going.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,904 posts
12,441 battles
2 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

The DPM is still lower than Moskva so it falls behind in the DPM meta, and the current counters to Moskva are amplified against Stalingrad, so there's nothing to be afraid of. Then there's also Conqueror....

You know more about tier 10 competitive meta than I do, so I'll take your word for it and feel a bit better about the ship.