Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

T-61 Engine damage?

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

933
Members
4,441 posts
6,134 battles

I am getting "Critical engine damage!" alert all the time when I am playing T-61.  How best to mitigate this?  Am pretty new to DDs.  "Last stand?".......something else?  Don't get hit.....ya! That works.:Smile_teethhappy:  Is this ship overly prone to engine damage? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
487
[-1]
Beta Testers
1,795 posts
18,678 battles

Been running last stand on all my DD's for a very long time u don't leave home with-out it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933
Members
4,441 posts
6,134 battles
2 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

Been running last stand on all my DD's for a very long time u don't leave home with-out it.

OK!  I thought this best skill to have for this engine damage issue and you guys confirm this.  Tks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
83
[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,105 posts
11,827 battles

Last stand for the commander as well as the engine/propulsion upgrade for the ship that reduces the chance of the engine getting disabled (with last stand it is easier to cope with a broken rudder than a broken engine, so for DDs prioritize engine upgrade over rudder for that slot).  This is pretty much for all DDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19
[-K_P-]
Members
79 posts
1,661 battles

Top 3 skills for DD captains are Last Stand (so you are not dead in the water getting pummeled), Surviveability expert (always need the extra HP) and Smoke Screen (the bigger the cloud the more room you have to evade the incoming shots and torps, also you will have the ability to hide larger friends next to you).  Level 1 is either incoming or priority, that will take care of your first 8 points. 

Next one I get, after I grind the captain to 12 skill points, is concealment expert, that is unless I have an unused 10 point captain at the same time as the new DD, then I will get concealment first and grind 2 points for smoke.

Have fun and remember to not run in a straight line or at a constant speed, constantly turn and change your speed.  It will make it harder for them to predict where your travels and their shell trajectories will intersect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[TBW]
Members
6,318 posts
11,863 battles

 I never use last stand. Preventive maintenance and high alert, the engine upgrade and jack of all trades. My engines and rudder don't seem to go out all that often. Repair party every 31 seconds is great. I know that no one agrees with me on this, but it does work for me. So don't waste your time telling me what an idiot I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
448
[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles
31 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

 I never use last stand. Preventive maintenance and high alert, the engine upgrade and jack of all trades. My engines and rudder don't seem to go out all that often. Repair party every 31 seconds is great. I know that no one agrees with me on this, but it does work for me. So don't waste your time telling me what an idiot I am.

People in Ranked already proved how great DDs are without last stand, when they are on the enemy team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[TBW]
Members
6,318 posts
11,863 battles
1 minute ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

People in Ranked already proved how great DDs are without last stand, when they are on the enemy team.

Then you better hope I am always on the other team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,965
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,720 posts
7,354 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Then you better hope I am always on the other team.

You were, we beat you. :Smile_trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
780
[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

Upgrades  and captain skills to minimize the chances of your engine getting knocked out:

  1.  Preventive Maintenance. Reduces the risk of ship modules becoming incapacitated -30% to the risk of incapacitation of modules
  2. Last Stand When the engine or steering gears are incapacitated, they continue to operate but with a penalty
  3. Propulsion Modification 1     -20% to the risk of the engine becoming incapacitated. -20% to engine repair time.

Personally I prioritize Last Stand as a must have for any DD I run.  Even over concealment expert, which, is quite a departure from most of my recommendations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933
Members
4,441 posts
6,134 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

 I never use last stand. Preventive maintenance and high alert, the engine upgrade and jack of all trades. My engines and rudder don't seem to go out all that often. Repair party every 31 seconds is great. I know that no one agrees with me on this, but it does work for me. So don't waste your time telling me what an idiot I am.

U are an idiot!  KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
598
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,415 battles
1 hour ago, Crij said:

Top 3 skills for DD captains are Last Stand (so you are not dead in the water getting pummeled), Surviveability expert (always need the extra HP) and Smoke Screen (the bigger the cloud the more room you have to evade the incoming shots and torps, also you will have the ability to hide larger friends next to you).  Level 1 is either incoming or priority, that will take care of your first 8 points. 

Next one I get, after I grind the captain to 12 skill points, is concealment expert, that is unless I have an unused 10 point captain at the same time as the new DD, then I will get concealment first and grind 2 points for smoke.

Have fun and remember to not run in a straight line or at a constant speed, constantly turn and change your speed.  It will make it harder for them to predict where your travels and their shell trajectories will intersect.

Not smoke screen.

Far more useful skills for all destroyers.

Cruisers benefit more from smokescren expert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,257
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
2 hours ago, dmckay said:

Last stand?

Last Stand is freakin' MANDATORY on most DDs. The quickest way to die as a DD is to lose power when multiple reds are targeting you, or to be unable to turn and run into an island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[TBW]
Members
6,318 posts
11,863 battles
2 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

You were, we beat you. :Smile_trollface:

Actually our team won. You and @bassmasta76 were both in the game (reds). Here's the replay if you like. bassmasta even commented on the battle in who have you seen

20180828_143253_PASD013-Gearing-1945_28_naval_mission.wowsreplay

 

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933
Members
4,441 posts
6,134 battles
26 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Last Stand is freakin' MANDATORY on most DDs. The quickest way to die as a DD is to lose power when multiple reds are targeting you, or to be unable to turn and run into an island.

"freaking MANDATORY"......can't you be a bit more emphatic? :Smile_honoring::Smile_izmena:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
262
[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,105 battles
18 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Actually our team won. You and @bassmasta76 were both in the game (reds). Here's the replay if you like. bassmasta even commented on the battle in who have you seen

20180828_143253_PASD013-Gearing-1945_28_naval_mission.wowsreplay

 

Yup, we lost that one... if only our Henri went dark.. oh well, c'est la ranked.

As for topic at hand, I run LS on every DD... its like camo, don't leave port without it:Smile_teethhappy:.

B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,965
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,720 posts
7,354 battles
26 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Actually our team won. You and @bassmasta76 were both in the game (reds). Here's the replay if you like. bassmasta even commented on the battle in who have you seen

20180828_143253_PASD013-Gearing-1945_28_naval_mission.wowsreplay

 

I was actually speaking of another one, I'd forgotten about the one you speak of. Probably in shock over how we should have won it, and then didnt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[TBW]
Members
6,318 posts
11,863 battles
8 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I was actually speaking of another one, I'd forgotten about the one you speak of. Probably in shock over how we should have won it, and then didnt.

I hope it wasn't my first gearing ranked battle which I fumble greatly, it was my first time on that map and my thinking was really askew. I did learn a valuable lesson about that map though. Last Stand wouldn't have been any help anyway.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,257
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
7 hours ago, dmckay said:

"freaking MANDATORY"......can't you be a bit more emphatic? :Smile_honoring::Smile_izmena:

Well ... I could be ... but the powers that be tend to become annoyed.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
161 posts
1,304 battles
On 8/31/2018 at 12:00 PM, Crij said:

Top 3 skills for DD captains are Last Stand (so you are not dead in the water getting pummeled), Surviveability expert (always need the extra HP) and Smoke Screen (the bigger the cloud the more room you have to evade the incoming shots and torps, also you will have the ability to hide larger friends next to you).  Level 1 is either incoming or priority, that will take care of your first 8 points. 

Next one I get, after I grind the captain to 12 skill points, is concealment expert, that is unless I have an unused 10 point captain at the same time as the new DD, then I will get concealment first and grind 2 points for smoke.

Have fun and remember to not run in a straight line or at a constant speed, constantly turn and change your speed.  It will make it harder for them to predict where your travels and their shell trajectories will intersect.

I've seldom seen ships with Smoke Screen Expert and personally would never rate it higher than Concealment Expert for one of the first 4 skills (10 points) you pick up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4
[TOG]
Members
18 posts
9,026 battles

Smoke screen expert is useful, IMHO it works best at lower teirs . Once you get to where you encounter radar frequently, it's best to allot those 2 skill points eleswhere as  you use smoke more as a way to cover you as you move out of radar range

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47
[WOLF9]
Members
243 posts
3,727 battles

I've been rather disappointed with how frequently my engine gets knocked out in the T-61 despite running PM and the mod that reduces chance of engine knockout/speeds engine repairs. That combination should reduce the chances by around 44% but I'm still losing my engine 2-3 times per game.  I don't have LS on the captain I am using; the ship I borrowed him from didn't seem to lose its engine ever... May have to respec or just work up another captain for T-61 to incorporate LS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,628 posts
13,419 battles
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, Umikami said:

Last Stand is freakin' MANDATORY on most DDs. The quickest way to die as a DD is to lose power when multiple reds are targeting you, or to be unable to turn and run into an island.

I consider LS to be mandatory on Cruisers too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×