Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Flightdeck Friday - Ship and Commander Essentials

7 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
792 posts
5,790 battles

640px-F4U_VMF-214_launches_from_USS_Sici

*pictured - F4U Corsair from VMF-214 launching from USS Sicily off the Korean peninsula (1951)*

Air group commanders (or CAGs), what ship equipment and commander skills are a must when fitting out your aircraft carrier?

Aircraft carriers can be fitted out with various modules to improve aircraft performance, servicing, and self-defense armament.

Much like fitting out ship/captain for surface vessels, each set of modules/skills can greatly improve the gameplay and performance of vessel.

CAGs, what skills and equipment are necessary for your carrier to pass sea trials?

"A person's judgment is best when they can forget themselves and any reputation they may have acquired and can concentrate wholly on making the right decisions." - Raymond Spruance, US Navy

#flightdeckfriday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

Members
763 posts
4,008 battles

The only relevant skills are aircraft and AA related.

A lot of people opt out of Evasive Maneuvers, but it works decently well with Expert Rear Gunner against the Ryojo, mainly when you use HE bombers as saturation decoys/scouts. 

The Independence's concealment isn't as terrible as the higher tier USN CVs, so you can push it up to reduce rearm times, but the EM/ERG keeps those planes in the air long enough for you to set up a good strafe, or at least delays them long enough for you to smoke their torp bombers/fighters elsewhere. If their IJN fighters are at partial strength you can even sometimes knock out a half strength fighter group with them.

I use Air Groups instead of Servicing Module and use Dogfighting Expert as USN because I only get one fighter group and I desperately need that additional loadout ammo/HP/DPS.

I don't buff my AA because I haven't gotten to where I get DFAA, and if the enemy CV is throwing enough planes at me, they're probably throwing everything at me (i.e 2 torp plus 2 HE), and Independence AA isn't going to hose that even with maximum AA build.

• Cool 1

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,767 posts
5,806 battles

After the essential 11 pts, only the concealment is needed and Im honestly at a loss with what to do with the last 4 pts.

Evasive maneuvers is a waste IMO.

• Cool 1

Members
763 posts
4,008 battles
15 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

After the essential 11 pts, only the concealment is needed and Im honestly at a loss with what to do with the last 4 pts.

Evasive maneuvers is a waste IMO.

It's only a waste if you don't use your HE bombers as your scout instead of your fighter.

If you use your HE bombers as scouts, it's useful because they won't outrun IJN fighters without it with bombs, but they can tie up a fighter squad, and even if they get strafed, if they're microing that fighter they aren't microing a fighter/torp bomber elsewhere.

EM only slows them down when told to RTB, so you can still zip around if you've dropped your load already and are using waypoint guidance (like if you jettison the HE bombs for that explicit purpose). With a bomb load you can at least force them to either micro or delay that fighter squad for 10-15 more seconds, which is time you may need as USN CV.

This is all immaterial if you're playing IJN.

Edited by NATOMarksman
  • Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
9,404 battles

For skills, 

Tier 1, Aircraft Servicing Expert (aircraft durability and faster turn around) and Dogfighting Expert (if nothing else, the fighters get more ammo) (GZ might skip ASE as she's got a good turn around anyway, and might want the points)

Tier 2, Torpedo Acceleration (improved the torps) or Expert Rear Gunner (If you really like the Graf Zeppelin's 2/0/3 loadout)

Tier 3, Torpedo Armament Expertise (faster torp bomber turn around) & Basic Firing Training (GZ might skip TAE as she's got a good turn around anyway and might want the points)

Tier 4, Air Supremacy and Concealment Expert (GZ might also grab Advanced Firing Training for secondary battery LOL's, other CV's might give up CE for it if you're more the hide behind islands kind)

For Upgrades:

Air Groups Modification 1,2 and 3, so I can better fight with the other CV, and my strike aircraft survive better.

Damage Control Systems Modifications 1 and 2, because there's nothing in those slots that help your aircraft.

Concealment System Modification 1.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,121 posts
2,524 battles

Wait is there really a loss for what to do after the initial 11?? 

For GZ AFT probs. 

But I'd suspect most CVs would want CE, or AFT+ManAA. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles
10 hours ago, NATOMarksman said:

Evasive Maneuvers

Problem though is strafing - 30% leaves them too open to it. 

Also - ASE,DFE,  torp accel (reduce chance of some bizarre accidents I've had with TB's and speed), ERG, or HA, BFT and BoS, maybe opt for SI if a higher tier ship, AS because like most of the CV geared skills it's mandatory, and AFT. 

I skip CE as I'll still be spotted before some BB's, already listed EM's issue above, and EmTa is absolutely worthless because I can use DCP II to get my planes back up faster than that skill, that should be a basic mechanic of CV's and the skill reduces the penalty, applied to rearm, andHA shortens that timeeven more. The only truly "optional' skills I really take are AFT and BFT - I constantly get the one that goes "lol, I'mma CV snipe"- to which I always mke them pay for that mistake. 

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this