Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Does a ship being common affect its win rate?

9 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
2,156 posts
9,612 battles

Win Rates are often used to compare ships. Have to admit I am probably wrong how this is calculated. New ships often start out with high (very high for the OP Stalingrad) WRs. This is typically dismissed based on the quality of the players. I realize average player quality is a factor but I was wondering when a ship becomes common, (i.e. you tend to see them on both teams, even in multiples) does that alone tend to push the WR toward 50%?  Bad ships move up, good ships move down. Once again, player quality would come into play, you have good and bad players running the same ship. But, if a ship appears on both teams, one is going to be on the winning team, one on the losing (haven't seen a draw in at least a year).

[-K-]
Members
5,038 posts
8,925 battles

To a degree, yes.  New ships, especially higher tier ones, tend to start out with very good win rates, as experienced players typically get to them first.  As the more average players unlock them, it brings the stats down towards the typical median for the playerbase.  If this does not occur, this is usually when you see nerfs (for tech tree ships) come into play.

Members
659 posts
4,237 battles

Yes. The more a ship is played the more all of its stats will decline. But strong or OP ships will always stand out. Look at the Fletcher. It's stats don't seem that impressive until you realize how popular it is compared to other T9 ships and how well its stats have held up in spite of that. 

[TBW]
Members
6,293 posts
11,849 battles
19 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

but I was wondering when a ship becomes common

A ship like the Stalingrad will probably never truly be common, how ever I think ships that seem OP become less so when people stop fearing them and learn how to counter them.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,275 posts
3,653 battles
28 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

If this does not occur, this is usually when you see nerfs (for tech tree ships) come into play.

Iirc  special attention is devoted to the top 25% and bottom 25% of the playerbase when it comes to ship performance and potential nerfs/buffs.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Yes, but the inverse is more true. Ships with few Ayers are always the best ones. Check the average stats for the Harugumo. They're unicum. Because unicums are the only people able to get the tier 10 just weeks after its come out. 

Beta Testers
1,239 posts
1,725 battles

One thing ive noticed, both on WOT and here, is that winning is linked to your ship rotation. In other words, When you log on, select a premium ship ( any premium ship ) and play it for the doubles. You may lose upwards of 8 or 10 matches with your first choice of the day, but once you win, change premium ships immediately. You may lose two or three matches, but the third or fourth, youll win, And that will continue throughout the day. Works in tanks too, and even more predictably.

[CVA16]
Members
2,156 posts
9,612 battles
5 hours ago, _1204_ said:

They're unicum. Because unicums are the only people able to get the tier 10 just weeks after its come out. 

I probably COULD have it if I used lots of FreeXP. That would certainly bring the stats down a bit. Overall, a high percent of players probably had the Akizuki, so the grind for most is not that long.

Stalingrads number will likely remain ridiculously high as it will be mostly unicums that will have it. Its introduction  has somewhat dampened any enthusiasm for playing anything T10 or even capable of seeing T10.

Edited by Sabot_100

Sign in to follow this