You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

Ever worry about becoming 'That Guy'?

25 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
146 posts
1,915 battles

I used to hate the guys that would be texting insult filled advice to the battle after they had been sunk (still hate it sometimes) but I've been on the verge of being one of those guys.
After a few times being knocked out of a match and left to helplessly watch, I was agahst at what some of my remaining team members had done at times.
One in particular this week when there was just about 2-3 ships left on both sides and our team was leading with a comfortable margin and less than 3 minutes left on the clock, our last BB was down to like an 8th of his health and was still looking for a fight with the opposing team's BB that had more health than he did. 

I was on the verge to all caps text:

'WHAT ARE YOU DOING????!!!!! WE"RE ABOUT TO WIN!!!! RUN AWAY!!!!!!!'

He didn't, he sank and we lost by one point when the clock ran out. We droped to just below the opposing teams score and when the alternating '+2' points were added to our scores we could never get closer that one point below.
It was the first time I ever got made in the game at other players actions. I was yelling out loud in my living room bridge. 

Then I wondered is that how you become 'That Guy'? The raving lunatic texting endless expletives after he's been sunk and stays for the game to tell other players what to do in a less than constructive way. I remember when I used to pursue an opponent's ship just to try to sink him before I died, regardless of clock and score. 

Maybe it's time for a break.

Ever become 'That Guy' you swore you'd never be? 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
753 posts
10 battles

I can feel your pain, and I was one of those guys. What I did was two things. I put a post it note over the chat window so I couldn't see the toxic chat and reply to it. Second, the moment I am dead I go back to port immediately to avoid the agony of watching the low IQ, low skill level player snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. These two things really made a difference in my enjoyment level of the game.

• Cool 3

[DFNT]
Members
71 posts
2,301 battles

I've seen more than a few games go up in smoke because a player chose to stick around and fight instead of fleeing. It's instinct to keep up the fight. I don't see any problem in telling someone to get out of Dodge, although I do so politely. Sometimes it works, the player just was all caught up in the moment.

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

Yeah, staying in after you are dead can help your team if you are not a jerk about it. Sadly, nothing will save you from the people who refuse to watch chat and do dumb things.

I had a guy yell about where I was going the other night and realized I was so focused on one DD I was nearly to the edge of the map, thankfully I was able to correct. 

Edited by Captain_Kylere

[-K-]
Members
663 posts
6,924 battles

Guilty on occasion. If I'm on a bad streak or get abandoned by suicidal teammates, I may have difficulty  when seeing someone in chat talking about how bad the team is. Depends on how tilted I am, but I try to keep it in. Bringing negativity into chat won't help the morale of the team, so try adding positivity to boost confidence. No guarantees that it will help....but it's better than typing out some cheeky insult.

• Cool 1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,704 posts
4,493 battles

Zao all he needs to do is go dark and hide from the Khab who can't cap us out on points....

Opens fire and get's roflstomped by the Khab. 

Yeah.....200K damage game that woulda been a nice payday ruined by a moron. 

Been there-done that-got the t-shirt.

Members
138 posts
12,837 battles

I'm pretty sure I used to be that guy. But since then I have tried to remember to turn chat off and avoid it altogether, because too often I was that salty dead guy berating his losing team in chat.

Turning chat off was just as much about putting a check on myself, as it was about not seeing toxic nonsense from others.

On the other hand, I've been that last surviving ship, the lone DD with just a sliver of health left, a one-hit kill that could lose the game... but we're ahead on points, and the only thing I need to do is simply disengage and go undetected for the win.

I mean, that's the correct action, as the OP here points out. But you'd be surprised how much that upsets not only the enemy team but also the salty dead green guys in the peanut gallery. I'm going silent and running away for the win, and if I've left chat on, it's red guys and green guys alike calling me a coward, urging me to turn and fight, etc., when doing so would turn an impending victory into a defeat.

I've won matches this way a number of times, but it generates negative karma and a lot of toxicity when I do. To some folks, it's more important to go down fighting and lose than to disengage for the win.

Haven't yet been able to figure out why that is.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,884 posts
3,260 battles
43 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

That is something that should be stated in chat though. If the team is about to win, and the best way to ensure victory is to run away, it needs to be stated. I earned a solo warrior because someone pointed out that nice, simple fact, in all caps, because I was about to throw the game by attacking. I gave him a "plays well" compliment, for helping me realize the mistake I was about to commit.

Just make sure you keep the vulgar language out, and you'll be fine (in my opinion), you won't become "that guy" just for pointing out the best victory strategy, regardless of death.

• Cool 1

Members
659 posts
4,237 battles
10 minutes ago, Ziggy_Sprague said:

I'm pretty sure I used to be that guy. But since then I have tried to remember to turn chat off and avoid it altogether, because too often I was that salty dead guy berating his losing team in chat.

Turning chat off was just as much about putting a check on myself, as it was about not seeing toxic nonsense from others.

On the other hand, I've been that last surviving ship, the lone DD with just a sliver of health left, a one-hit kill that could lose the game... but we're ahead on points, and the only thing I need to do is simply disengage and go undetected for the win.

I mean, that's the correct action, as the OP here points out. But you'd be surprised how much that upsets not only the enemy team but also the salty dead green guys in the peanut gallery. I'm going silent and running away for the win, and if I've left chat on, it's red guys and green guys alike calling me a coward, urging me to turn and fight, etc., when doing so would turn an impending victory into a defeat.

I've won matches this way a number of times, but it generates negative karma and a lot of toxicity when I do. To some folks, it's more important to go down fighting and lose than to disengage for the win.

Haven't yet been able to figure out why that is.

Because most players in this game don't realize there's a clock, are at best vaguely aware of the points, and are completely incapable of making any intelligent calculation about point gain. It seems like hacking to them when they encounter a player who actually grasps these really simple things. 

[TBW]
Members
6,299 posts
11,856 battles

In an attempt to not be that guy, when I give advice in the battle chat (which isn't often) I just give general advice. If I see 3 ships chasing 1 enemy to the corners of the map. I will type something like; Why chase that guy he can't hurt us from there, we need bases. I never call a single player out personally. Getting some one who is still in the battle to start typing in response to your insults, just makes them less aware of what they need to do. The one that's typing the slime is hurting the team more than the potato. The saying goes "You can catch more flies with Honey than with vinegar". It's kind of a stupid saying, because in my experience, I have never seen flies attracted to either of them. We all know the point the saying is trying to make. Instead of making stupid statements like "John Doe you are just a stupid #%@#". You could say "John Doe, be careful he's baiting you away from the cap". Which statement would you respond positively to. I will never be that guy, it shows lack of intelligence and is ultimately self defeating. You can offer guidance or you can offer insults, which one do you think will get better results.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SAA]
Members
813 posts
26,716 battles

I have 646 Karma, but I am turning into "That guy" during this season of Ranked.  What's even worse is that I find myself really derpping in epic ways this season because I am trying to hard

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
18 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

That is something that should be stated in chat though. If the team is about to win, and the best way to ensure victory is to run away, it needs to be stated. I earned a solo warrior because someone pointed out that nice, simple fact, in all caps, because I was about to throw the game by attacking. I gave him a "plays well" compliment, for helping me realize the mistake I was about to commit.

Just make sure you keep the vulgar language out, and you'll be fine (in my opinion), you won't become "that guy" just for pointing out the best victory strategy, regardless of death.

Exactly.  You can give advice to the team whether you're dead or not.  However, leave the vulgar language and/or other pushy stuff out, because that just gets you ignored.  Nothing good will come out of you being mad about it and screaming at others.  

Members
1,547 posts
9,796 battles
17 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Exactly.  You can give advice to the team whether you're dead or not.  However, leave the vulgar language and/or other pushy stuff out, because that just gets you ignored.  Nothing good will come out of you being mad about it and screaming at others.  

Trying to give a team advise often goes ignored without vulgar language. I think that's what triggers it in the first place lol. 

How many times has this happened? There's a minute left, your team is slightly ahead in points, same amount of ships remaining on both teams but some of yours are very low HP. All your team has to do is run and not engage and it's a guaranteed win and yet the DD with 2% HP decides to start firing on a cruiser after you tell them to run and not fire....  get the anger? 

Beta Testers
1,239 posts
1,725 battles

I've never been that guy, but then, i've been on the recieving end of that guy only a few times.. I dont give advice because in game, i'm too stupid to give advice and i've learned to ignore the hotheads in chat who honestly are never talking to me anyway. I found though that hotheads are very much tier oriented. For some reason, higher tiers seem to have more people with serious gaming on their mind and dont have time or interest in acting like puerile idiots..

[90THD]
Beta Testers
102 posts
633 battles

Perhaps a better way is to offer the advice as suggestions aimed at someone who may not have realized it yet? 

Such as, Myogi, we're ahead on points and caps. It may be better for you to disengage and go dark than risk getting sunk? We're set to win the match if you can survive. 

[13CLM]
Members
202 posts
1,109 battles

Why do people pay attention to chat in randoms? I glance at it in the beginning to see if there is plan, but after that i don't pay attention to it.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
3 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

[...]

[...]

The calm way to say this is "play the points" "we've got the score counts to win" 

Although if you're math isn't the greatest, the loss is potentially on you IF the points difference still results in loss AND the players still alive play more passive and defensively. 

[REVY]
Beta Testers
260 posts
1,680 battles

Take a break like I am about to do. Ranked is pure crap, randoms are 100000% worse. The average WR has to be 45% or close to it. I'm even contemplating Co-Op but you still have other players to throw that. I too am tired of the 6 ship lead turn into a loss because I have a team of pro game throwers yelling JAJAJAJAJA 

[P2W]
Members
681 posts

I have been guilty of doing this, mainly when trying to complete missions or campaigns. Luckily I am all caught up on missions and campaigns so hopefully I will be a better player ..until the next mission or campaign at least.:Smile_medal:

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
41 minutes ago, Markk9 said:

Why do people pay attention to chat in randoms? I glance at it in the beginning to see if there is plan, but after that i don't pay attention to it.

Because once in a while someone will say something useful, or they'll use function key messages in a useful way.  Honestly, I tend to look at people who ignore chat or turn it off entirely as acting in an unsportsman like manner because they're refusing to act as part of the team by refusing to listen to potentially useful communications.

I think that if I had my druthers, I'd do away with all free hand text chat and only limit it to function key canned messages.  However, the problem with that is that I think that there might be so many potentially useful messages that to try to include them all in the client would create a case of information overload.  That is, there'd be so many messages that trying to remember the key bindings for all of them would be difficult, and searching for them on a list in the middle of a battle could be difficult as well.  I suppose that it might be possible to limit them to maybe 24-30 messages.  The first 24 could be the 12 function keys, 1-12 being the bare function key, and 13-24 being CNTL+Function key.  And then perhaps another 10 for the 10 digits on the numeric keypad.  But even then, that's quite a few canned messages to manage.

[AR]
[AR]
Members
310 posts
11,613 battles

The worst types are... the solo DD that have point advantage and only have a BB to deal with. Yet throw the game away by diving into the BB for what ever strange reason.

Members
24 posts
8 battles
4 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

I used to hate the guys that would be texting insult filled advice to the battle after they had been sunk (still hate it sometimes) but I've been on the verge of being one of those guys.
After a few times being knocked out of a match and left to helplessly watch, I was agahst at what some of my remaining team members had done at times.
One in particular this week when there was just about 2-3 ships left on both sides and our team was leading with a comfortable margin and less than 3 minutes left on the clock, our last BB was down to like an 8th of his health and was still looking for a fight with the opposing team's BB that had more health than he did. 

He didn't, he sank and we lost by one point when the clock ran out. We droped to just below the opposing teams score and when the alternating '+2' points were added to our scores we could never get closer that one point below.
It was the first time I ever got made in the game at other players actions. I was yelling out loud in my living room bridge. 

Then I wondered is that how you become 'That Guy'? The raving lunatic texting endless expletives after he's been sunk and stays for the game to tell other players what to do in a less than constructive way. I remember when I used to pursue an opponent's ship just to try to sink him before I died, regardless of clock and score. 

Maybe it's time for a break.

Ever become 'That Guy' you swore you'd never be? 

There's a difference between helping out after being sunk, and being a belligerent A$$.   Flying around you can see things out of another players line of site, like a DD popping up all of a sudden.

There are some pretty serious Trolls out there unfortunately.

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
146 posts
1,915 battles

I kept my inner-voice text clean here in the forum but I was thinking expletives during the game. 

Turning off chat is an idea, especially when last night a couple of guys got into a chat fight (game wide) and were starting out. The battles started and they were still talking smack back in forth. And there I did lose it and became 'That Guy' with a game wide text:

"The @%&$ is wrong with you guys!!?? There's a war on here!!! Get in the %&$#*! % fight!!!"

Wasn't proud of myself but I did it.

[W-G]
Members
60 posts
6,875 battles
3 hours ago, Turbotush said:

I have 646 Karma, but I am turning into "That guy" during this season of Ranked.  What's even worse is that I find myself really derpping in epic ways this season because I am trying to hard

Same, I lost 3 in a row the other night. The first two were total collapses but at least I came in first place and did not lose a start.

The last game that night was a loss because I became so desperate to win. We were behind and our last  DD was attempting to take a cap and a BB was defending. If I opened to take some heat off the DD I would be spotted possibly exposing my flank. If I stayed dark for another 20-30 seconds I could get behind and island and protect at least one flank. I opened up and killed the BB (he was broadside and I got a couple of citadels), but right after I sunk the BB I was deleted by a Yammy who was on my flank. That DD went on to kill 3 more ships. We lost the game by 50 points. If I had stayed dark and stayed alive we probably would of one. These are the mistakes I am making because I feel I have to carry the game.