HyPHerFaZe

Questions About Replays

8 comments in this topic

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
102 posts
9,607 battles

I had been saving (copying) some replays to mash together for a video at some point. However I was told by one of my clan members that a replay will only play within the patch it was created in. So I went and tried one of the files I had saved and sure enough I got a critical error and the client closed. I even went back and searched out the original file inside the replay folder and got the same error.

My questions are is it true that any replay will only work in the patch it was created? If not what am I doing wrong? If so why don't the folder clean itself with the updates? Seems like a lot of wasted space. Is there any other way to play these files? 

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

I have never dabbled in the replay system... But I have heard through the grape vine that if you upload it to wows replays (https://replayswows.com/), it will always be there to view and use

[TBW]
Members
6,318 posts
11,866 battles
1 hour ago, HyPHerFaZe said:

I had been saving (copying) some replays to mash together for a video at some point. However I was told by one of my clan members that a replay will only play within the patch it was created in. So I went and tried one of the files I had saved and sure enough I got a critical error and the client closed. I even went back and searched out the original file inside the replay folder and got the same error.

My questions are is it true that any replay will only work in the patch it was created? If not what am I doing wrong? If so why don't the folder clean itself with the updates? Seems like a lot of wasted space. Is there any other way to play these files? 

Yes, if you are doing a video it's best to capture it with your video card. A lot bigger file but better quality.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,267 posts

Someone somewhere was keeping prior release installs so you could d/l, install and play the replay. 

And yes it's true - every update borks the replay mechanics.... because rather than it being a video "stream" it's the match data, reconstructed (essentially). 

Edited by Herr_Reitz
  • Cool 2

Community Department
2,011 posts
500 battles
12 hours ago, HyPHerFaZe said:

You were answered almost all question above. We won't clean your folder with replays every update because there is a chanse still to play them. So erase them if you need more space. Or if you want to watch them you'll need to find old versions of game clients by yourself.

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
102 posts
9,607 battles

Thanks for the answers everyone. Now to figure out what version each of the replays are and where to find those versions archived. 

Members
2,393 posts
5,421 battles

The REPLAY can be played within certain versions of the update. It all depends on the libraries the update changed which in turn may not be compatible with the older replay you want to play. To be able to run a older replay you would have to (before UPDATE) copy out the WHOLE WOW files into another directory for this purpose.  As for finding the versions...WOW has them all archived but getting them is another matter. I doubt very much other players are saving their older version of WOW but then what do I know?   As others had said. you should capture and video what you want to save.  

Members
6 posts
283 battles

If I have a replay I want to save, I play it back and use GeForce Experience to record the replay to video. Yes, it is a large file because I run in 1080 HD. Then use a program called Handbrake to encode the video. It maintains the high graphics quality while reducing the size tremendously. Then upload the video to Facebook, YouTube, or just save it on your hard drive. Then you won't need to worry about future updates making the replay unviewable. You can keep them for years!

Hope this helps.

Sign in to follow this