You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Crucis

Potential new game mode - Arms Race

28 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles

Guys, here's a Flamu video on a potential new game mode that's on the PTS right now, called Arms Race.  Even if you're not a fan of Flamu, I'd still suggest watching it to get a feel for this work-in-progress game mode feels like.  It's very informative.  And also, the battle happens to be on the new version of Islands of Ice, so you get to see that as well.

Honestly, I have to say that I'm not really a fan of this new game mode from what I saw in the video.  However, there was one aspect of Arms Race that was VERY interesting to me, and that was the concept of having caps not exist at the start of the battle and only appear later on during the battle.  I think that that could have some serious potential.  Imagine Epicenter or Domination mode battles where the caps did not appear until 10 minutes into the battle, and how that would change things.

Anyways, here's the video.  Comment away.  Whether you like the idea or not, it's still interesting to see that the devs are trying to come up with some new ideas.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
2,078 posts

New mode looks like poop... You have anyone on your team hesitating at the start it's GG... You lose 3 or more at the start it's GG.

No thanks! It's already bad enough dealing with blow outs in random... This is just accelerated death mode.

• Funny 1

[JUICE]
Members
814 posts
6,369 battles

I like the idea myself as I am overly aggressive anyway. If anything this game needs more game modes, something to break up the staleness that sets in after awhile......

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles

Actually the game mode is quite fun and it's not potential, it will be here along with a couple of other modes they were talking about. The best thing about it is if you want to win you can't camp.

[SALVO]
Members
141 posts
11,786 battles

The "Arms Race" game mode does not appear to be a good idea with respect to "Random Battles".  I think there are just too many "casual" players that don't keep up with changes to the game.  I'm thinking the quality of random battles will get much worse (for at least a few weeks to a few months).

If such a "battle mode" needs to be introduced, then at least make it "user select-able" like "Random" vs. "Ranked" vs. "Operation of the Week" vs. etc...

If the mode turns out to be a real big hit (i.e., most players are in the "Arms Race" queue vs. the "Random" queue), then add the battle mode to Random Battle's battle mode list.

[EDIT]

If the mode is separate from Random Battles, then it could be rather interesting.  After fully watching Flamu's video on it, I concur with his suggestions, especially with respect to giving each team more equal access to the buff areas.

Edited by ObnoxiousPotato
on further reflection...

Members
1,787 posts
17,386 battles
11 minutes ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

If such a "battle mode" needs to be introduced, then at least make it "user select-able" like "Random" vs. "Ranked" vs. "Operation of the Week" vs. etc...

It is user selectable...regular random will remain the same...this is an alternate mode...it may take away the population of regular random for awhile though as it looks pretty fun (especially for more aggressive less campy players).

It is in a random setting though (XP & credit wise I assume) but there are no caps for the 1st 10 minutes...just buff circles to capture & when the cap shows up it gives like 10 points/second (going by video...haven't checked it out myself yet) to end matches much quicker after the 10 minute mark if a team can cap it & hold it.

It may lead to bad player habits in regards to switching back to regular random later though...although I'm guessing a percentage of the player base may just give up on random & just play this mode (which may be good for those that expect you to play more strategically in random...keeping the more aggressive players away from random).

Time will tell though.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles

What I'd like to see is a new battle mode that was just one of the possible modes you can see in randoms where they made use of the late arriving cap circles.

Can you imagine what domination or epicenter modes would be like if the caps didn't appear until around the 10 minute mark?  It might be even more interesting if you didn't even know whether you were going to get domination or epicenter or even standard mode caps, and the battle just started with you just knowing that you had to engage the enemy.  I'm not sure that Standard mode would be a good choice for a mystery late cap mode, since I think that the general idea of such a mode would be to encourage the teams to push out and engage the enemy, rather than give them more of a reason to camp.

Anyways, regardless of whether the type of late arriving caps was unknown at the start of the battle or not, I think that simply not having the caps available at the start of the battle, but everyone knowing that the caps were between the two teams, would encourage the two teams to push forward.  And not having the caps appearing immediately would produce a certain amount of freedom in that there wouldn't be an immediate need to control certain areas of the map.  

Members
567 posts

I am playing it in the PT I am not impressed.

I will tell anyone who will listen not to even try this Mode.

This mode will be a Unicum Playground.

• Bad 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,257 posts
24,787 battles

I watched the video.  I'm not sure its a good fit for the playerbase.

Members
3,638 posts
13,487 battles

Well, since Arms Race mode is only for tier 9 and 10 ships (like damn near everything else) it's unlikely that I'll ever have to endure it.

And the change to Islands of Ice sucketh most heinously. Why is WG pulling a WG? It's a great map as is.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
1 minute ago, ReddNekk said:

Well, since Arms Race mode is only for tier 9 and 10 ships (like damn near everything else) it's unlikely that I'll ever have to endure it.

And the change to Islands of Ice sucketh most heinously. Why is WG pulling a WG? It's a great map as is.

No, Ice is not a great map as is.  The ORIGINAL was a great map.  And it has gotten progressively worse with each version, to the point that it's just a white washed version of just about every other high tier map.  Maybe the original version was a little too large.  But the fix for "too large" is just to make it a little smaller, not ruin a great map.

[SALVO]
Members
141 posts
11,786 battles
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

It is user selectable...regular random will remain the same...this is an alternate mode...it may take away the population of regular random for awhile though as it looks pretty fun (especially for more aggressive less campy players).

Thanks for the clarification.  Will have to pay more attention to the "specifics". ;)

[SALVO]
Members
141 posts
11,786 battles
4 hours ago, Crucis said:

However, there was one aspect of Arms Race that was VERY interesting to me, and that was the concept of having caps not exist at the start of the battle and only appear later on during the battle.  I think that that could have some serious potential.  Imagine Epicenter or Domination mode battles where the caps did not appear until 10 minutes into the battle, and how that would change things.

It is an interesting idea; however, I think the "eventual locations" of the area(s) to capture can't be randomized (so that one team isn't given an unfair advantage), so it could increase the amount of camping (passive playing) while both teams try to out position each other.  I suppose it would depend on the map.  ;)

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles

I watched the vid, and it seems interesting.

Did not have time to play PTS last night as the download was so huge (700MB on top of nearly 1GB, and I didn't start it till fairly late, fool me), and I wanted to prioritise normal gameplay. However, I think it shows promise in terms of solving/countering the camping meta at higher tiers, which is possibly what it was designed to do. The next thing to do would be to nudge WG into extending it to lower tiers.

Members
705 posts

Played it on PTS.

It really is fun and different.

It will give T10's who hate sleepwalking through Random a cool alternative. I might even fire up the old Hindy for that.

OTOH, if the few proactive players left in Random bail for Arms Race, Random will truly replace Melatonin as the leading non-prescription sleep aid.

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
229 posts
7,409 battles

It would be cool if this game mode gave out resources and consumables for battle performance instead of credits and xp.

It would also be super duper neato if this was only tier 8/9 instead of 9/10.

[H_]
Members
700 posts

Another "Gimmick"..... 

If they want "Blue Ocean" game play, they seriously need to think about era expansion.....  This appears to be a "moving/random loot box concept" where as you progress forward, the game inserts "benefits" along the way.  Some games us them to "steer micro transactions" to boost sales.

Naw, no thanks.  As _Lord_Scott_ above said: " This mode will be a Unicum Playground ": you betcha.....

Edited by Asym_KS

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles

This looks more interesting than I thought it would.  The complaints Flamu had about DDs and in only being T9&10 do have an upside.  If this new mode bleeds off T9&10 it will give T8 some relief.  Same with DDs, if arms race is DD heavy then there will be fewer DDs in randoms and I think people will like that.

8 hours ago, _Lord_Scott_ said:

This mode will be a Unicum Playground.

Maybe.  If it ends up being popular the unicums will be a non-issue.

8 hours ago, Patton5150 said:

I'm not sure its a good fit for the playerbase.

I sort of agree.  The thing is this new game mode may be just what the thousands of players wanted that tried WoWs and didn't like it.  If this new mode is expanded to lower tiers it might help keep a new batch players playing.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles
56 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

If this new mode bleeds off T9&10 it will give T8 some relief. 

If half the T9/10 crowd go for this (let's say), the other half will need more lower-tier ships to fill in the gaps. And that might mean a greater proportion of T8 ships in T10 battles (which would be an improvement), or it might start meaning T7 sees T9 more often.  Or it might potentially make the current situation worse.

The problem is that the PTS population is significantly smaller than the live, and it is also unrepresentative because it's so easy to get a T9/10 ship in PTS and the economy of running it is irrelevant with the resources they give you in the time available. So we're not really going to see what this means for the matchmaker until it goes live. 

What would really make me curious is the effect it would have if it were extended to Tier 8.

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,270 battles

Stupid mode that promotes yolo... lame. 

[A_51]
Members
205 posts
12,655 battles

I watched Flamu's video describing the new mode.  It looks absolutely ridiculous.  I'm hoping WG changes their minds, or at least allows players to opt out.

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
33 minutes ago, Seaneroo said:

I watched Flamu's video describing the new mode.  It looks absolutely ridiculous.  I'm hoping WG changes their minds, or at least allows players to opt out.

It is being tested as its own separate game mode.  If it goes live I'd guess it will stay that way (at least to start out). 

[A_51]
Members
205 posts
12,655 battles
41 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

It is being tested as its own separate game mode.  If it goes live I'd guess it will stay that way (at least to start out). 

Jingles says it will only be for tiers 9 and 10, also.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
2 minutes ago, Slumlord_Cheeto said:

Why can't they come up with a nation vs nation mode, or historical battle mode instead of this crap. 

Because there are too many paper ships in the game to make that a reasonab prospect for anyone other than players that have nearly every ship in the game, and there are too many paper Tier IX and Tier Xs to make restricting such a mode to Tier IXs and Xs(what WG's in the market for, they are doing this to Arms Race) fair or justified.