You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

I wouldn’t recommend wows to my friends- so why do I still play?

86 comments in this topic

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

This latest poll asked if I would recommend wows to my friends. Even if I had any I wouldn’t... 

But I still play- all the time. Sometimes I sit down and feel like I’m just putting time in so I don’t get rusty. Other times I just sit down to get some time in so I don’t get rusty. 

The times I felt like I made a difference are thwarted by the times I could have but didn’t and the other times I couldn’t and didn’t. 2/3rds of the game I spend frustrated while the other 1/3rd I feel like a king. 

I’m a bit of a stats guy- I want to keep improving... there are some players out there who are awe inspiringly good- most of that skill isn’t about aiming, isn’t about capping and it isn’t about high damage. It’s about doing all those things at the right time, in the right place for the right reason. It’s that high level vision. It’s anticipating what the other guy is going to do based on what he’s already done... 

To succeed in this game is having a surgically precise awareness about maps, battle modes, game mechanics, ship types, nation gimmicks... 

I think a person on average needs about 5000 battles to achieve enlightenment... Solo anyway. Not good at math but I think that’s about 52 days of playing 24 hours a day before you really get dialed in and become an asset. 

That’s thinking about 5000 battles at about 15 minutes each... meanwhile they’re changing things all the time, adding ships, other content, game modes... quite a commitment to ask from a friend.

Does anyone recommend wows to their friends? What kind of response do you get? 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,844 posts
6,743 battles

im with you in that i wouldn't recommend the game to friends but continue playing.  it's irrational and oftentimes more frustrating than not, but i keep playing.  

WoW's is a habit that has me by the balls unfortunately.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/03/25/the-sunk-cost-fallacy/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment

Escalation of commitment is a human behavior pattern in which an individual or group facing increasingly negative outcomes from some decision, action, or investment nevertheless continues the same behavior rather than alter course. The actor maintains behaviors that are irrational, but align with previous decisions and actions.[1]

Economists and behavioral scientists use a related term, sunk-cost fallacy, to describe the justification of increased investment of money, time, lives, etc. in a decision, based on the cumulative prior investment ("sunk cost") despite new evidence suggesting that the cost, beginning immediately, of continuing the decision outweighs the expected benefit.

In sociology, irrational escalation of commitment or commitment bias describe similar behaviours. The phenomenon and the sentiment underlying it are reflected in such proverbial images as "throwing good money after bad", "in for a penny, in for a pound", and "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again".

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
184 posts
3,054 battles

You end up committed. With all the time you have spent in unlocking the various ships you wanted and training captains. Also like you said making sure you don't get rusty or out of the loop meta/update wise. It's one of the many, many reasons armored warfare failed to steal a chunk of Wots playerbase. They've spent so much time unlocking tanks and putting work into it to start from scratch.

Like I will take breaks but always come back. I didn't grind my way up to the Des Moines, Mino etc only to just move on. Plus you'll always have that one game that hooks you back in...

Edited by Stand_Alone97

Members
4,441 posts
6,134 battles

52 days playing 24 hours a day? :Smile_teethhappy:  When do you sleep? Good joke however.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,653 posts
9,964 battles

I don't recommend that my friends sleep with my wife, but I still do it...

More seriously I'm about the most interested in naval history out of all of my friends and this game is pretty niche. I'm still here because there are ships I still want to play, because I do like stats and improvement and most importantly because I enjoy playing with my Clan.

• Funny 2

[BOTES]
Members
124 posts
3,108 battles

I don't quite think 5k is what you need to know how the game functions. Depending on who you have around you to ask for help and how much effort you're willing to put into learning, you can be decent anywhere from 500 to 2k games.

Members
4,441 posts
6,134 battles
6 minutes ago, Shadeylark said:

im with you in that i wouldn't recommend the game to friends but continue playing.  it's irrational and oftentimes more frustrating than not, but i keep playing.  

WoW's is a habit that has me by the balls unfortunately.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/03/25/the-sunk-cost-fallacy/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment

Escalation of commitment is a human behavior pattern in which an individual or group facing increasingly negative outcomes from some decision, action, or investment nevertheless continues the same behavior rather than alter course. The actor maintains behaviors that are irrational, but align with previous decisions and actions.[1]

Economists and behavioral scientists use a related term, sunk-cost fallacy, to describe the justification of increased investment of money, time, lives, etc. in a decision, based on the cumulative prior investment ("sunk cost") despite new evidence suggesting that the cost, beginning immediately, of continuing the decision outweighs the expected benefit.

In sociology, irrational escalation of commitment or commitment bias describe similar behaviours. The phenomenon and the sentiment underlying it are reflected in such proverbial images as "throwing good money after bad", "in for a penny, in for a pound", and "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again".

Huh?

I like the simplistic.  "Golf is a nice walk ruined".......Mark Twain.

Or..."Why do you keep beating your head against the wall?"  "Cause it feels so good when I stop!"

My Grandfather....Born in 1876. "Waste of time trying to flog a blown horse up an icy hill."  He dead now.

I not real big on calling the study of the behavior of human beings a "science". :Smile_teethhappy:

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles

I'd recommend this game to anyone. It's really about the most fun game I can think of right now. My reaction time isn't fast enough anymore for WOT or other faster FPS-types games. I used to play a lot of Civ and some RTS games but I don't have the long blocks of time available anymore to devote to them. I play some chess but I am not very good at it. WOWS currently hits the sweet spot as far as games are concerned for me.    

[TF16B]
Members
8,039 posts
16,977 battles

Used to average 15-20 games a day in Randoms...

...now just 5-ish, mostly in Co-op. (At around 17k games total, all modes.)

Despite all that; I still lack the things @_ENO_ and @Stand_Alone97 spoke of.

I am a tactical fighter at best; capable of winning single fights; but my strategic sense and ability to decisively influence battles remains weak at best, and occasional instances of doing so more accidental than not...

...yet I keep coming back; because I like playing carriers, (for now at least; 97% of such games being in Co-op,) because they keep releasing new port flags every Ranked; and not playing to at least R15 each season would make the next worse; and because reasons.

The only friend I have who ‘might’ enjoy the game doesn’t have a computer capable of playing it.

In any case; WoWs is starting to enter the realm that Tanks has long-since reached; a core of experienced players, who can make it extremely difficult for new players to enter the game...

...though as @Snargfargle alludes to; the pace in ships is more forgiving, meaning it’s still reasonably easy for new players to survive and learn the ropes; especially if helped to do so.

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
6,314 posts
11,857 battles

My friends don't have enough money to play this game.

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The game can be played for free. Free players help support the numbers, which allow paying players to have shorter wait times. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Funny 1

[TBW]
Members
6,314 posts
11,857 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The game can be played for free.

Not seriously. Maybe there is a free playing Unicum out there. I don't have a job and I don't make a paycheck, yet I have spent thousands over the last 2 1/2 years. I was making a joke kind of (maybe).

• Cool 1

Members
855 posts
3,421 battles
38 minutes ago, mofton said:

I don't recommend that my friends sleep with my wife, but I still do it...

More seriously I'm about the most interested in naval history out of all of my friends and this game is pretty niche. I'm still here because there are ships I still want to play, because I do like stats and improvement and most importantly because I enjoy playing with my Clan.

ROFL best response ever!!!

I'll see your funny and up you one!

I don't recommend that my friends wipe my [edited], but I still do it!

[P2W]
Members
681 posts
50 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Been playing WOWs, WOWP, and WOT for 6 years now. Not a single dime out of pocket spent .

Believe it or not it saved my sanity by eating up dead time in between Job interviews when I was laid off back in 2013.

Just can't fall into the money trap of premium this and that. The only money I have spent has been a couple of hundred bucks in crappy gift cards that I wouldn't of used in the first place.

Edited by DESRON10

Members
1,773 posts
17,335 battles
16 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Not seriously. Maybe there is a free playing Unicum out there. I don't have a job and I don't make a paycheck, yet I have spent thousands over the last 2 1/2 years. I was making a joke kind of (maybe).

I spent about $100 around the time 19 point commanders were introduced to free XP my 18 pointer US DD commander to 19, get a perma camo for (my 1st T10) Gearing,  (some Christmas crates & the $49 year of premium were also included), & get the Atlanta to do double duty w/the 19 point Gearing commander on building up Elite XP to train a 19 pointer for each nation. (Less than a week later they announced the end of stealth firing & AFT wasn't such a good option on the Gearing so the points I had built up to train another commander from a different nation went to making a 2nd one for the US Atlanta/Gearing combo...but I digress...)

Other than that I haven't spent any $ on the game as I haven't had it to spare...but I have (w/the premium & those 2 ships as my starting block) managed to get a total of 8 or 9 other 19 point commanders (w/enough Elite built up to train 3 from 0-19 or 4 from 10-19 points) & 11 T10s & no ship lower that T8 on any of the other trees besides CVs (T5 highest & only went that high to finish Science campaign w/honors...although I did have fun running them in co-ops for the old daily missions they used to have but wouldn't detriment a team in random in 1).

[FAE]
Members
2,116 posts
2,507 battles

I no longer recommend this game anymore. 

Nor is it fun much of the time. 

I'm hooked. I like it for its premise. But this is NOT a fun game currently, especially solo 

• Cool 4

[NG-NL]
Members
4,951 posts
8,094 battles

I still play at times because like the strategy aspect of this game. Plus it's fun playing w/ my clan--if any of them are on.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 hour ago, BlailBlerg said:

I no longer recommend this game anymore. 

Nor is it fun much of the time. 

I'm hooked. I like it for its premise. But this is NOT a fun game currently, especially solo 

I try to find my fun where I can. Particularly, I'm in love with Bayern. I first played her at the Seattle Let's Battle event from a few years back, and then some time later I played her on the test server. I just like having overmatch and finally being done with only having BBs with 14 inch guns or below.

I doubt I will keep her, as they don't seem to ever want to do Tier VI ranked again, and I have other ships for OPs, but I have enjoyed my time in her. Currently I am about 5 or 6 battles out from unlocking the Gneisenau without FXP.

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
209 posts
1,417 battles

WoWS is a very tough sell, even more than WoT.  It's exceptionally opaque mechanically, which either means you have to blissfully ignore it and just like the theme, or you dig in because you enjoy complexity.

I don't really recommend it to most of my friends because they can't handle the game.  It is far too slow if you don't pay attention to the minutiae.  It doesn't really have instant gratification most of the time.  The way I put these games are you command the vehicle.  That means you are doing a constant scan while engaging the enemy.  If you play WG games the correct way it's very hectic many times, but if you're new or ADD, on the surface it's very basic.

Members
593 posts
4,875 battles

I have a friend I met in high school and we bonded over what was at the time a newly released Halo 2. We have stayed close ever since but try as I might I can’t get him to try WOW. The reasons are he’s not a history buff like me so the subject matter has no appeal to him and the gameplay is way to slow. The games we normally play together are fast paced shooters so ships with 10, 20, and 30sec reloads don’t appeal to him. If I had any friends that had even the slightest interest in naval history I would definitely recommend the game to them. The game is definitely not a sim but I think it gets the “feel” of naval combat right. 

Edited by Forgottensoldier117

[DPG]
Members
816 posts
4,199 battles

Games with a primary focus on pvp are extremely difficult to get into after they've been around for a few years.  I've recommended this game to friends but none of them really stuck around.  Sometimes I can get them to log in for a couple of matches.  I'm not even sure why I still play.  I'm far too competitive for my skill level, and most of my time is spent being angry and frustrated.  I'm at the point now that if I can't do it in co-op or scenarios, I don't even bother.  Those rare strokes of brilliance aren't frequent enough for sustained enjoyment.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,524 battles

Unlike the OP I do recommend this to friends. Most dabble in it and like it, but with so many other titles out there they play here or there for fun and never on a serious footing.

I still play as I love seeing the ships, I love seeing clutch games that go either way and skillful players fight off against one another.

My only gripe is that I wish maps don't become cookie cutters on each side. It was good to have different terrain on certain areas and it made games a lot of fun.

Members
705 posts

The only times I actually recommended the game came complete with subjectively honest opinions of what I see as the pros (pretty botes, variety of botes, lots of events and missions, etc.) and cons (boring play and insufferable trolls in Random, aircraft carriers, +2/-2 MM).

Recommending anything without a warning would be doing a disservice. Would I recommend it unconditionally? Of course not.

• Cool 1

[FOG]
Members
266 posts
4,534 battles

As I have previously commented, one the features I so like about these forums is to read what others are seeing, thinking, and feeling and realize that is often exactly how I feel. I was original discouraged from playing this game when it first came out 3 years ago due to the overwhelming power of CVs. Two friends commented that it was a great RTS if you wanted to play CVs, but do not bother trying to play anything else. More than a year later they commented the game was finally playable and enjoyable for non-CVs and I started. Interestingly though my friends no longer play this game.

I get concerned that WG is too concerned with the competitive aspect of this game and not the "fun" aspect. I know that they would absolutely disagree, but I and from my reading think many others feel the same. Maybe it is just sampling bias but I rarely read where someone is completely in "love" with this game or at least anymore. As others have written there are some very good aspects about this game, but although I have some other gaming friends I have not recommended this game as it is too slow and complex and requires far too much time (and often money) to really enjoy it.

I and probably the majority of the players (maybe the vast majority) are willing to spend time and some money from time to time for "fun". We will likely never become Super-Unicums and that is fine with me. I enjoy throwing a football although I never made the NFL. I still play this game but am starting to lose interest in that I see so many mistakes, from my perspective, that WG is making. My concern is, as others have noted, that this game is becoming ever harder for new players to break into and "enjoy". There will be some degree of attrition of current players for various reasons and this game requires ever-new players to keep the playing population up. Further, at the player base shrinks and gets ever-better in terms of the players and their 19-point Captains a new player will not have a chance anymore or at least what perhaps many of us had.

If I could offer one comment to WG that would be provide additional focus on the fun aspect of this game versus the sole attention to making it evermore competitive for an ever-smaller player base.

• Cool 1