You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guzziguy1000

Disappearing ships

44 comments in this topic

[NEW]
Members
15 posts
12,266 battles

Why and how do ships disappear,sometimes for almost the entire match,without using smoke generator. They will also spawn right in front,side,etc!

[HINON]
Supertester
18,964 posts
12,479 battles

Ships have a concealment radius. This can be affected by them firing their weapons, using smoke, or intervening terrain.

Members
1,780 posts
5,642 battles

Go to the wiki Pages search and read the section Battle Mechanics. section 4. Spotting, it will explain all you need the know.......

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
144 posts
1,814 battles

Because no ships or air units are within detection range.

Members
17,814 posts
5,087 battles
10 minutes ago, guzziguy1000 said:

Why and how do ships disappear,sometimes for almost the entire match,without using smoke generator. They will also spawn right in front,side,etc!

There's several reasons, best bet is to read the Wiki on spotting mechanics. I believe there are some YouTube videos that go into detail too.

A lot of it seems like cheating or sorcery, until you know the spotting mechanics. 

As far as the abrupt appearing/disappearing, they can't really do anything about that. If they made ships gradually fade in and out, people would mod it so that the second a ship began to fade in, it would appear at full visibility, and have an advantage, especially at long ranges and under some lighting conditions.

Right now, there's no cheating possible, when the server tells your PC where an enemy is, it gets rendered (more or less) instantly, in full visibility.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
42 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

There's several reasons, best bet is to read the Wiki on spotting mechanics. I believe there are some YouTube videos that go into detail too.

A lot of it seems like cheating or sorcery, until you know the spotting mechanics. 

As far as the abrupt appearing/disappearing, they can't really do anything about that. If they made ships gradually fade in and out, people would mod it so that the second a ship began to fade in, it would appear at full visibility, and have an advantage, especially at long ranges and under some lighting conditions.

Right now, there's no cheating possible, when the server tells your PC where an enemy is, it gets rendered (more or less) instantly, in full visibility.

This does not happen currently, and as Jingles has mentioned(in not his latest but his second latest World of Warships video), there are still rendering glitches/bugs that cause said rendering to take a really long time.

In this coming iteration of the Public Test, WG is looking at a new technology to circumvent the game engine's current rendering issues, and render ships on the actual map(not the mini-map) at an unheard-of speed.

[NEW]
Members
15 posts
12,266 battles
On 8/30/2018 at 4:19 PM, CaptDavid said:

Because no ships or air units are within detection range.

what i'm saying is you can be sailing around a cap,lets say and you see nothing on either map or from your boat when you will see a handful of ships just appear out of nowhere. I'm talking like 3-4 klks from you which gives you zero reaction times. gets damn frustrating.

[-WPG-]
Members
737 posts
3,145 battles
On 9/5/2018 at 7:03 PM, guzziguy1000 said:

what i'm saying is you can be sailing around a cap,lets say and you see nothing on either map or from your boat when you will see a handful of ships just appear out of nowhere. I'm talking like 3-4 klks from you which gives you zero reaction times. gets damn frustrating.

It was already suggested above that you read up on spotting mechanics. Obviously you still have not.  All of your questions will be answered if you just read that. 

[NEW]
Members
15 posts
12,266 battles
On 9/7/2018 at 8:29 PM, DouglasMacAwful said:

It was already suggested above that you read up on spotting mechanics. Obviously you still have not.  All of your questions will be answered if you just read that. 

I have read that and it didn't answer my question. What I'm saying is that I'll be well within range and close to other ships that will appear on both maps while I'm working this game and they will just dissolve/disappear and not be able to return fire with any degree of accuracy.

[O7]
Members
520 posts
12,625 battles
6 minutes ago, guzziguy1000 said:

I have read that and it didn't answer my question. What I'm saying is that I'll be well within range and close to other ships that will appear on both maps while I'm working this game and they will just dissolve/disappear and not be able to return fire with any degree of accuracy.

Oh boy.  I suggest you watch a video on it.  It may help explain the spotting mechanics a bit clearer.  Trust me, there is no "cheating" that would allow ships to cloak in this game.

[NEW]
Members
15 posts
12,266 battles

I'm not suggesting cheating,my thoughts are a possible glitch in the mechanics of the game.                                                

[WOLF3]
Members
5,982 posts
2,203 battles
On 8/30/2018 at 3:14 PM, Lert said:

Ships have a concealment radius. This can be affected by them firing their weapons, using smoke, or intervening terrain.

I think there's something else going on, too.  Last night in Aegis there was a green ship about an icon length (on the minimap) away from a red DD**.  No smoke; open ocean.  Not in assured detection range, but well within a reasonable spotting range -- maybe 5-6 km?  The DD disappeared.  At least 5 sec. elapsed before it popped back up again.  I'll have to watch a replay for a better description.

I've also seen red ships with planes overhead, no smoke, just blink out for a while.

There's definitely some odd disappearing going on.

** Tier VII Shiratsuyu, min. detectability 6.66 km

Edited by iDuckman

[NEW]
Members
15 posts
12,266 battles
On 9/10/2018 at 6:38 PM, iDuckman said:

I think there's something else going on, too.  Last night in Aegis there was a green ship about an icon length (on the minimap) away from a red DD**.  No smoke; open ocean.  Not in assured detection range, but well within a reasonable spotting range -- maybe 5-6 km?  The DD disappeared.  At least 5 sec. elapsed before it popped back up again.  I'll have to watch a replay for a better description.

I've also seen red ships with planes overhead, no smoke, just blink out for a while.

I see I'm not the only one trying to deal with this. Can't seem to get an answer that explains fully. Makes for some real [edited] matches when ships are popping up and disappearing right in front of you.

Beta Testers
1,287 posts
6,459 battles
On 9/10/2018 at 3:38 PM, iDuckman said:

Was the spotting ship a ship with smoke by any chance?  A lot of the time people will pop smoke as they're slowing down, causing them to lose sight temporarily whenever the smoke generator puffs, and regain it when they drift out of the could.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,982 posts
2,203 battles
1 hour ago, Kenjister said:

Was the spotting ship a ship with smoke by any chance?  A lot of the time people will pop smoke as they're slowing down, causing them to lose sight temporarily whenever the smoke generator puffs, and regain it when they drift out of the could.

No.  No smoke.  Maybe a big wave?

[NEW]
Members
15 posts
12,266 battles
On 9/12/2018 at 2:40 PM, Kenjister said:

No,these boats aren't smoked,I'm saying they just disappear and reappear.sometimes they flicker on and off. I get up to 5-6 ships do this all at the same time and they will be shooting the crapout of me,I can't fire back,can't run wth?!?!?!?

On 9/12/2018 at 3:49 PM, iDuckman said:

On 9/12/2018 at 3:49 PM, iDuckman said:

Beta Testers
1,287 posts
6,459 battles
15 minutes ago, guzziguy1000 said:

No,these boats aren't smoked,I'm saying they just disappear and reappear.sometimes they flicker on and off. I get up to 5-6 ships do this all at the same time and they will be shooting the crapout of me,I can't fire back,can't run wth?!?!?!?

I'm not saying that THEY are smoked, but asking if the the ship that's doing the spotting (or you), was smoked?  If you're in smoke then you cant see out of it, so you must rely on others.  If the spotting ship was on the edge of the detection range then to you the enemies will flicker in and out.

Members
17,814 posts
5,087 battles
On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 5:59 PM, guzziguy1000 said:

Smoke maybe?

I don't know the exact numbers, but if you are very close to a ship, (but further than 2km proxy spot) and it pops smoke, that's exactly what would happen.

Smoke doesn't render if you're too close, (so you're not driving blind) and in the heat of action, it's easy to miss the circle(s) on the water surface that indicate the smoke boundary.

[O7]
Members
520 posts
12,625 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

Smoke maybe?

I don't know the exact numbers, but if you are very close to a ship, (but further than 2km proxy spot) and it pops smoke, that's exactly what would happen.

Smoke doesn't render if you're too close, (so you're not driving blind) and in the heat of action, it's easy to miss the circle(s) on the water surface that indicate the smoke boundary.

2 km is minimum assured detection range for all ships.

[-WPG-]
Members
737 posts
3,145 battles

Enable replays and post one as an example. Until you do, pretty sure it's still you not understanding the spotting mechanics. 

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,914 posts
3,304 battles

War Gaming released a lovely "how it works" video about spotting, in this game. I recommend reading watching that.

Edited by Counter_Gambit
Why the heck did I say reading, when referring to a video?

[NEW]
Members
15 posts
12,266 battles
2 hours ago, Kenjister said:

I'm not saying that THEY are smoked, but asking if the the ship that's doing the spotting (or you), was smoked?  If you're in smoke then you cant see out of it, so you must rely on others.  If the spotting ship was on the edge of the detection range then to you the enemies will flicker in and out.

I'm not smoked,just rollin by.

1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Enable replays and post one as an example. Until you do, pretty sure it's still you not understanding the spotting mechanics. 

I have read and DO understand the mechanics and I'm not the only one that's noticed.