You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

3 comments in this topic

[STW-D]
Members
3 posts
1,686 battles

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, welcome to ExplodingPeach's Clan Battles Season 3 Review

Since I have yet to see someone post a review of the clan battles season, I have decided to do it myself. This is going to be a review of the lower side of Clan Battles, as a caller for an entry level clan, we did not make it past Storm league. Future season reviews will provide higher league insight.

First, I will introduce myself, I am a veteran Wargaming player having spent the largest amount of my time in World of Tanks. As tanks began to bore me I turned to warships and found that my expertise as a tank commander has given me the skills to become a proficient Captain. Unfortunately, I cannot boast the stats of a superunicum player, but I am proficient. While my experience playing warships has been over many years, I have less battles than expected so it will be up to you if you want to trust my teachings.

The community I am a member of is STW, specifically their Dead Sea Fleet as I was a recruit and refining my calling process. Many members in STW-D had tier 10 ships, however it was not uncommon for rental ships to be used. My opinion on rentals: unless you’re very good at that ship they’re a massive waste, a few kilometers of concealment makes a difference in competitive play. So, avoiding rentals was always my first move. Before I go into which line ups you should be using, the strategy that you want to use is important.

The easiest way to win is to take two caps and defend them from a distance. This allows you to earn points while being a hard target to sink in the process. Everyone knows this, and all maps have a home cap and a contest cap, so how do you beat an enemy who’s probably doing the same thing you are? Well first it’s all about scouting, if you know where their ships are, you can put yourself in the best possible positions to vanquish your enemies.

Destroyers are the most important ship in the game, they cap for you, spot for you, kill other destroyers, and if they’re good, some torpedo hits. The longer they’re alive, the better chance you have at winning, so don’t always try to get cap circles early and over expose your destroyers. The best thing you can do at the beginning of the battle is to find a destroyer and kill them. Early DD kills critically wound any team. My favorite and most successful way of killing destroyers was catching them in the cap circle with radar. I’d always put at least one cruiser within radar range, and other cruisers in a position to shoot the DD. Either he is going to run, and you can have your DD take the cap circle behind him, or you’re going to kill him. So, my fellow destroyer players out there…make sure you know where the radar is before capping, otherwise you’re in for a world of pain. After taking cap circles or preventing the enemy from taking the cap circle, find open ocean to give your team vision. Spot as many ships as you can without being spotted. You can’t shoot what you can’t see.

Battleship: Two things a good battleship player should do; take hits and deal hits. You want him in a position that gives him the ability to dish out pain when there is an opportunity but also enough protection that he isn’t getting torpedoed to death, I found that as a caller I had lots of success with my battleship going bow in to the enemy BB and near the cruisers to help screen for torpedoes. There is not much complications when it comes to be a BB player when it comes to clan battles, picking a good position, stay with friends, and have good accuracy. The latter is probably one of the most important aspects, having a BB with terrible accuracy means less hits, less kills, and more pain for the rest of the team.

Cruisers, my second favorite class of ships (sorry I just love playing DDs) are much more difficult to place as they depend on the type and how many you bring. The cruiser is the ship that is most flexible, boasting respectable DPM (damage per minute), concealment, armor, and maneuverability. Some cruisers are better at these than others.

Hindenburg and Moskva are good ships for long range combat, while the Hindenburg is an excellent brawling ship, she excels at a distance. Both ships have good, accurate guns, that are effective at all ranges. Use them wisely, not pushing them too hard or sitting back and never brawling. Islands are helpful, but the high velocity of their guns make it difficult to use islands effectively. My advice is to initially keep them at a distance with your battleship, yet be prepared to push them went the opportunity presents itself. Use their good armor at range to your advantage. Note: Hindenburg pushes much better than Moskva

The Americans; Des Moines, Salem, Worcester. Des Moines and Salem are better armored but even cruisers can citadel if you’re not angled well enough. Worcester is a Minotaur with HE and without smoke. Americans do their best when using islands to radar cap circles, fire over islands with their high arcs, and remain undetected. When spotted, they tend to melt quickly when focused. So, put your American captains in safe places where they can shoot over an island and they’ll have a happy battle.

Henri IV: honestly, I hardly ever see this ship and if you just look at her statistics, it’s not surprising. The Henri is quick, decent armor, but has a terrible reload time, dispersion that is laughable, and a concealment rating that makes the thought of using this ship made me fall out of my chair. Higher fire chance than the Zao but without a fourth turret she’s useless.

Zao: “meh” armor, very sneaky, fast and maneuverable, hard hitting torps, her reload is not great, fire chance is wonderful. A Zao’s biggest advantage is stealth, especially with a concealment module, the only ship that can out spot her is a Minotaur and destroyers. I’ve seen Zao’s have great games and bad games, largely because it requires a skilled player to know when it is the right time to fire the guns. This ship gives me mixed feelings; some games a Zao is an easy kill, others she’s the scariest ship on the map.

Minotaur: a floating citadel, a cruiser will sometimes pen the citadel of this ship when its bow on. It is one of the easiest kills in the game, if you don’t let her stealth up. British ships have super heals, combined with the +20% flag it is like printing a new ship. Very few captains are successful in this ship at lower levels of clan battles but if you’ve got big enough balls you’ll want her just outside of radar range or behind an island firing that ridiculous DPM.

Recap: Hindy and Moskva are your tanks and long range damage dealers. Americans are your radar and close range DPM who like to stay hidden. Henri and Mino are bad ideas at lower levels, Zao is a ship of opportunity and stealth. Use these ideas and if you don’t broadside a battleship you’ll survive longer.

Next, what line up gives your team the best chance to win? I will go over multiple line ups that I used and saw win games and explain their strengths and weaknesses.

PB&J Line-Up

1.      Gearing

2.      Gearing

3.      Hindenburg

4.      Hindenburg

5.      Des Moines

6.      Des Moines

7.      Montana

Gearings are not the stealthiest, but they’re the best overall DD in the game. The Yue Yang is comparable and in many cases, can be used effectively, but the gearing gets more HP, better accuracy, and longer smoke. The torpedoes are good enough to make someone hesitate, and can/will beat any other destroyer providing you don’t get close to a Khabarovsk. Again, I cannot iterate enough, your DD players should be the best you can get, the ship can help you, but skill almost always wins DD fights.

Hindenburg is a hard ship to kill, her versatility and survivability make her one of my favorites and most teams have at least one. I prefer two so that if I want to kite a part of the map and slow down the enemy, the Hindenburg is the best for the job and having two give me flexibility.

Des Memes are important because of radar and their ridiculous DPM. While one could be substituted for another American or a camping Moskva I prefer two DMs in this comp.

Stealth Line-up

1.      Yue Yang (or gearing)

2.      Yue Yang (or gearing)

3.      Hindenburg

4.      Zao

5.      Des Moines (Worcester)

6.      Des Moines

7.      Montana

Not a strategy I got to use much since we did not have a lot of players with the flexibility, but very effective in the hands of a competent Zao captain. The idea is to take two caps, and use your vision advantage that the two DDs and Zao give you for long range shooting, the DMs for radar and close-range prevention. You don’t have to take two cap circles right away, but at the very least make sure the reds don’t take it or have it for very long. This line up requires more skill, but creates the ability to constantly spot your enemies while actively trying to conceal yourself. The Worcester can be substituted, but only in the hands of a good player. The Worcester is a devastating ship at closer ranges but easy to kill so make sure you have a player that knows how to use islands and disappear.

It’s Shima Time

1.      Gearing (or YY)

2.      Shima

3.      Hindenburg

4.      Hindenburg

5.      Des Moines (or Moskva)

6.      Des Moines

7.      Montana

This was a strategy that was used often largely due to ship availability. This only works with a Shima player who knows how to spot and survive. What would happen a lot is the shima and Hindy would take the offside cap and the Hindy would kite away to defend. The shima must live to spot targets for the Hindy otherwise this strategy is a waste. If the rest of your team can take or contest the other cap circle, the tough armor and good guns of the Hindy, the torps and concealment of the Shima will hold your cap circle from the offside push. NOTE: make sure your shima has concealment and radio location so he knows where the closest ship is, this makes survival much easier on a shima.

Other Line-ups could work for your team, these are just the ones I noticed had a much smoother time winning games. A big thing I noticed was many teams took two destroyers, while in Season 2 I often took one, this season required the flexibility and vision of two destroyers. The only viable exception I could see is a Zao instead of a DD. If you have other suggestions feel free to add comments.

Conclusion:

No rentals – they’re just a bad idea

Be Patient – take the easy cap, and contest the other, no need to push aggressively

Kills are more important than cap circles

Vision is how you win or lose games – pick good DD players that can stay alive

Taking two caps is great, but survival is better

Learn from your mistakes and continuously get better

Leave a comment: what you do or don’t like about my review, things I missed, places to improve. I will be making reviews for future seasons and would love to improve and provide better information and insight to clan battles.

Special thanks to my clan STW-D and the Sun Tzu Warriors community for giving me the opportunity to learn and teach during the clan battles season.

Thanks,

-ExplodingPeach

• Cool 3

[5D]
Members
1,176 posts
7,086 battles

Good review. We spent a lot of time bouncing between fighting storm clans up to Hurricane. We definitely noticed a large change in the general tactics and meta of the different leagues. Very interesting to see your point of view.

Review from [5D] point of view below. 

We fell out of Typhoon four different times. We recovered another two times. This was our story for season three.

• Cool 1