You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JohnPJones

Unmanned surface drones

12 comments in this topic

Members
2,227 posts
6,722 battles

I have yet to see a defined intention for the use of vessels like the Sea Hunter, has anyone else seen any actual plans for how to implement the technology?

one thing I thought about was possibly for ASW work, it would be smaller than sea hunter, but could use either a small well deck or a rear ramp like on the zumwalt.

the vessels would have their own sonar, and 1-2 SVTTs could be loaded onboard.

• Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
36 minutes ago, JohnPJones said:

I have yet to see a defined intention for the use of vessels like the Sea Hunter, has anyone else seen any actual plans for how to implement the technology?

one thing I thought about was possibly for ASW work, it would be smaller than sea hunter, but could use either a small well deck or a rear ramp like on the zumwalt.

I am curious.  Since the ships are unmanned, are the ships still protected by maritime law if anyone decides to steal the unmanned sea drones for themselves?

Members
2,227 posts
6,722 battles
29 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I am curious.  Since the ships are unmanned, are the ships still protected by maritime law if anyone decides to steal the unmanned sea drones for themselves?

If they’re flagged I think so.

i mean China did return the UUV they stole.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,983 posts
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

Of course it's protected, otherwise nobody could claim sea wrecks because nobody technically mans them anymore.

[BROOK]
1,983 posts
2 hours ago, JohnPJones said:

The primary use of surface sea drones should be to fool incoming hostile fire about where the actual ships are, just like underwater and airborne towed drones are.

Members
2,227 posts
6,722 battles
19 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

The primary use of surface sea drones should be to fool incoming hostile fire about where the actual ships are, just like underwater and airborne towed drones are.

Are they really drones if they’re towed?

honestly I could see sea hunter or something similar replacing cyclone or even mkVIs in the gulf.

pop a mk38 on the bow and some ASM launchers on the rear.

[BROOK]
1,983 posts
2 hours ago, JohnPJones said:

Are they really drones if they’re towed?

honestly I could see sea hunter or something similar replacing cyclone or even mkVIs in the gulf.

pop a mk38 on the bow and some ASM launchers on the rear.

Are they remotely controlled with just a tether to keep it in formation with it's mothership? Then it's a drone. Technically, as far as the US military sees it, anything controlled remotely is a drone, even if it's tether is required for onboard power and control command relays.

Members
2,227 posts
6,722 battles
1 hour ago, TornadoADV said:

Are they remotely controlled with just a tether to keep it in formation with it's mothership? Then it's a drone. Technically, as far as the US military sees it, anything controlled remotely is a drone, even if it's tether is required for onboard power and control command relays.

Untethered drones have much more possibilities than simply decoys though.

for sure use them that way if it comes down to it but there has to be more ways to get better use than making them punching bags.

Beta Testers
9,042 posts
7 hours ago, Sventex said:

There is already debate about this issue if drones entered territorial water space.  

[REVY]
Members
936 posts
7,288 battles

I think if the drone was combined with technology from the sea shadow, you could have a very hard to detect surface ship capable of launching anti-ship, or cruise missiles at a target. but then, submarines can do that already.

It could be deployed as a mine-sweeper as a drone would have no crew lives at risk.

As said, it might be a viable ASW platform, since it has no crew, it could carry more weapons. Several acting in concert might be able to triangulate a contact and kill the target.

Members
2,227 posts
6,722 battles
4 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I think if the drone was combined with technology from the sea shadow, you could have a very hard to detect surface ship capable of launching anti-ship, or cruise missiles at a target. but then, submarines can do that already.

It could be deployed as a mine-sweeper as a drone would have no crew lives at risk.

As said, it might be a viable ASW platform, since it has no crew, it could carry more weapons. Several acting in concert might be able to triangulate a contact and kill the target.

Subs have a crew to endanger though.

i think they’re best used in 100-300ton hulls for relatively confined waters.

i doubt we’ll ever see major combatants as drones otherwise the PMS schedule was all [edited]

Beta Testers
9,042 posts
12 hours ago, JohnPJones said:

Subs have a crew to endanger though.

i think they’re best used in 100-300ton hulls for relatively confined waters.

i doubt we’ll ever see major combatants as drones otherwise the PMS schedule was all [edited]

The main motivation for robot submarines, which will likely get bigger and more sophisticated over time, is because being on a sub is not a popular career move.

• Cool 1