Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptDavid

Ranked Battles

28 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

18
[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
143 posts
1,813 battles

Ranked Battles and the post said tier VIII -X what it did not mention that at Ranked level 15 I had to have a tier X ship to continue, Really! WG I'm still grinding for a tier  IX see you next year WG

Edited by CaptDavid
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,092 posts
8,086 battles

If you’re still grinding for a T8 how did you get to play R22-16 to begin with since its....you know.....T8 :cap_yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,672
[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles

He doesn't know there is no such thing as VIIII.

Must be one of those progressive schools where they are a bit lax on the standards.

  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134
[REVY]
Beta Testers
260 posts
1,680 battles

IX is the Roman numeral you are searching for. And not relevant in this situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
767 posts
5,854 battles
2 minutes ago, VGLance said:

He doesn't know there is no such thing as VIIII.

Must be one of those progressive schools where they are a bit lax on the standards.

 

Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,673
[TBW]
Members
6,328 posts
11,884 battles
14 minutes ago, CaptDavid said:

Ranked Battles and the post said tier VIII -X what it did not mention that at Ranked level 15 I had to have a tier X ship to continue, Really! WG I'm still grinding for a tier IX see you next year WG

Fixed it for you, There are never more than III Roman numerals together.

 

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
352
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,065 posts
8,847 battles

What happen to Minnesota Nice :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
143 posts
1,813 battles
1 hour ago, IJN_ZekamashiShima said:

If you’re still grinding for a T8 how did you get to play R22-16 to begin with since its....you know.....T8 :cap_yes:

Simple its called the "Tirpitz" I'm Not grinding for T8, T9 the Premium ships should have been allowed.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LHG]
Members
1,618 posts
4,887 battles
2 hours ago, CaptDavid said:

Ranked Battles and the post said tier VIII -X what it did not mention that at Ranked level 15 I had to have a tier X ship to continue, Really! WG I'm still grinding for a tier  IX see you next year WG

Just for reference, WG did mention this, several times.  Check the News about Ranked on the WOWS website, it's all there.

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
143 posts
1,813 battles
10 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Just for reference, WG did mention this, several times.  Check the News about Ranked on the WOWS website, it's all there.

You have a link on that!, btw this narrative is about what I consider fair Play locking out players simply because they do not have a Tier X ship is not fair play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,679 battles
9 minutes ago, CaptDavid said:

You have a link on that!, btw this narrative is about what I consider fair Play locking out players simply because they do not have a Tier X ship is not fair play.

Yes it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
143 posts
1,813 battles

On August 24, you can commence the struggle for a place in the League of Sea Wolves, so gear up your Tier VIII & X ships in preparation! You'll also have a chance to roll out your Tier V ships if you’re feeling serious about battle…
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-10/
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-10/#rules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
406
[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,180 battles
19 minutes ago, CaptDavid said:

You have a link on that!, btw this narrative is about what I consider fair Play locking out players simply because they do not have a Tier X ship is not fair play.

locking out players?  I mean... tier 8 locks out players too, if you're using that definition.  It just locks out fewer. 

 

1 minute ago, CaptDavid said:

On August 24, you can commence the struggle for a place in the League of Sea Wolves, so gear up your Tier VIII & X ships in preparation! You'll also have a chance to roll out your Tier V ships if you’re feeling serious about battle…
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-10/
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-10/#rules

Are you arguing that the post you linked does not clearly show which tiers correspond to which ranks?  Because... oof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
170
[CAST]
Members
1,158 posts
7,174 battles
4 minutes ago, CaptDavid said:

On August 24, you can commence the struggle for a place in the League of Sea Wolves, so gear up your Tier VIII & X ships in preparation! You'll also have a chance to roll out your Tier V ships if you’re feeling serious about battle…
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-10/
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-10/#rules

I clicked on the links to make sure the correct info was there, and it is.  It states that you use T8 up to rank 16, and T10 from rank 15 to 2.  As soon as you pass from 2 to rank 1, you are done and can play the T5 in rank 1 if you want to play against others that have ranked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
143 posts
1,813 battles
8 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

locking out players?  I mean... tier 8 locks out players too, if you're using that definition.  It just locks out fewer. 

 

Are you arguing that the post you linked does not clearly show which tiers correspond to which ranks?  Because... oof.

ok to clarify so you can try to see what I'm getting at..

"the League of Sea Wolves, so gear up your "Tier VIII & X ships" At level 15 we are locked out of the event Only Tier X can continue. I said that was not fair Play, In my opinion..It is not! Locked out with my Tier 8 Tirpitz Premium ship..Really ticks me off.

Edited by CaptDavid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
406
[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,180 battles
1 minute ago, CaptDavid said:

ok to clarify so you can try to see what I'm getting at..

"the League of Sea Wolves, so gear up your "Tier VIII & X ships" At level 15 we are locked out of the event Only Tier X can continue. I said that was not fair Play, In my opinion..It is not!

So basically you read the first paragraph and not anything on the rest of the page?

I mean, if you want to argue that they way they structured it is not ideal, I'd probably agree with you.  It's been effectively nothing but Tier X for 4 straight competitive seasons now (2 each ranked and clan battles) so I'd have loved to have seen something different.  But you said it "did not mention" the jump to tier X which is patently false.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
143 posts
1,813 battles
1 minute ago, Brhinosaurus said:

So basically you read the first paragraph and not anything on the rest of the page?

I mean, if you want to argue that they way they structured it is not ideal, I'd probably agree with you.  It's been effectively nothing but Tier X for 4 straight competitive seasons now (2 each ranked and clan battles) so I'd have loved to have seen something different.  But you said it "did not mention" the jump to tier X which is patently false.

Because the first thing they posted was "Tier VIII & X ships" .So if you think that's fair good for you cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
406
[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,180 battles
Just now, CaptDavid said:

Because the first thing they posted was "Tier VIII & X ships" .So if you think that's fair good for you cheers.

Okay, I just wanted to clarify that you are in fact complaining that you only read the first sentence and not the giant graphic half a page down and are now mad about it.  Thank you.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
95
[ML-S]
Members
284 posts
4,025 battles
10 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Fixed it for you, There are never more than III Roman numerals together.

 

Yes and no.  The romans did actually sometimes use more than 3 numerals when they wrote numbers (most prominent example is numbering the coliseum doors) but the general rule for modern use is 3 numerals and the Romans did tend to only use 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LHG]
Members
1,618 posts
4,887 battles
On 8/30/2018 at 11:20 AM, CaptDavid said:

You have a link on that!, btw this narrative is about what I consider fair Play locking out players simply because they do not have a Tier X ship is not fair play.

The link as requested. https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-10/

Specifically, under the "Basic Rules" section you will find 

"Between Ranks 23–16, battles will involve Tier VIII ships only. For Ranks 15–2, battles require ships from Tier X"

As to the rest, no, the selected tier for ranked battles is a filtering device not a fair play issue. 

Despite what some will say, Ranked is a competitive game play mode and is designed to attract experienced players who can pit their skills against other players with similar skill levels and capabilities.  By and large, players with higher tier ships in their port will have had more experience and higher skills than those with lower tiered ships. By setting the tier for Ranked, WG is essentially establishing the skill floor level needed to enter that season of the competition.

This is a generality to be sure.  Players which take a "narrow" approach to the game concentrating on a single line of ships will climb up the tech tree faster and get to higher tier ships faster than players which take a "broad" approach by playing several lines at the same time.  Players which have taken the broad approach and have advanced up to say, T6 with multiple lines may well have more experience and skills than a player which has taken a narrow approach to reach T10.  

While this is undoubtedly true and may appear to be "unfair' to players to some players, it would appear that a significant majority of players favor a narrow approach. If push comes to shove, WG is naturally going to design their system to work best for the majority of it's players rather than the minority. 

As a player who has taken a very broad approach (I advance up all lines, nations and types simultaneously) I understand the frustration of being excluded from certain parts of ranked seasons as I most certainly had more experience than a number of players who had reached Tier 10 ships using a more narrow approach.  

I wasn't a fan of the selection for tier X either this season or last, (even though I do now have a T10 ship) but I also understand that it has nothing to do with "fair play", it's just a device intended to determine a basic skill level requirement that works for the vast majority of the players of this game.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
143 posts
1,813 battles
1 hour ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

The link as requested. https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-10/

Specifically, under the "Basic Rules" section you will find 

"Between Ranks 23–16, battles will involve Tier VIII ships only. For Ranks 15–2, battles require ships from Tier X"

As to the rest, no, the selected tier for ranked battles is a filtering device not a fair play issue. 

Despite what some will say, Ranked is a competitive game play mode and is designed to attract experienced players who can pit their skills against other players with similar skill levels and capabilities.  By and large, players with higher tier ships in their port will have had more experience and higher skills than those with lower tiered ships. By setting the tier for Ranked, WG is essentially establishing the skill floor level needed to enter that season of the competition.

This is a generality to be sure.  Players which take a "narrow" approach to the game concentrating on a single line of ships will climb up the tech tree faster and get to higher tier ships faster than players which take a "broad" approach by playing several lines at the same time.  Players which have taken the broad approach and have advanced up to say, T6 with multiple lines may well have more experience and skills than a player which has taken a narrow approach to reach T10.  

While this is undoubtedly true and may appear to be "unfair' to players to some players, it would appear that a significant majority of players favor a narrow approach. If push comes to shove, WG is naturally going to design their system to work best for the majority of it's players rather than the minority. 

As a player who has taken a very broad approach (I advance up all lines, nations and types simultaneously) I understand the frustration of being excluded from certain parts of ranked seasons as I most certainly had more experience than a number of players who had reached Tier 10 ships using a more narrow approach.  

I wasn't a fan of the selection for tier X either this season or last, (even though I do now have a T10 ship) but I also understand that it has nothing to do with "fair play", it's just a device intended to determine a basic skill level requirement that works for the vast majority of the players of this game.  

 

 

Thanks for the info already looked that up...But its still not fair there are rules and there are unfair rules doesn't make it right so what 2/3 of the community cannot continue playing in this event based on a single ship tier. Really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LHG]
Members
1,618 posts
4,887 battles
2 hours ago, CaptDavid said:

Thanks for the info already looked that up...But its still not fair there are rules and there are unfair rules doesn't make it right so what 2/3 of the community cannot continue playing in this event based on a single ship tier. Really

I'd imagine it's probably a larger percentage of that with the floor being Tier 10.  I'd say it's probably closer to 70% to 75% of the players being excluded, quite possibly more. 

One thing you need to grasp is that Ranked isn't an "event".  Events are the various things which happen in WOWS where it doesn't really matter if you win or lose a particular battle, what you are looking for is to earn so much xp, kill so many DD's to gain reward xyz etc.   If the red ships do well and win, quite often it's not critical because you haven't lost anything and even if you lose, there's a good chance you've still picked up something such as xp, commander xp, setting fires etc that helps you advance towards your reward. 

Ranked is not like that.  The only way to advance is for your team to win.  It doesn't matter how much experience you've gained or ships you've set of fire, the only way to get that next star is for your team to win.  If you lose, chances are you're going to fall back regardless of how many ships you set on fire, how many ships you've spotted, how much xp you earned, you've actually lost ground, or, at the very best, haven't lost any.  In Ranked winning itself matters and in fact, it's about the only thing that does. 

When setting an event up like this, you want the teams to be composed of experienced players, not mal de mer and requiring a ship of a certain tier to compete is an easy way to do that, but one which any player can aspire to over time. 

Compare and contrast that to the other competitive game mode in WOWS, Clan Wars.  First, you need to be accepted by a competitive clan which is not the easiest thing in the world to do.  If that clan sees you have potential and allows you in, well Clan Wars only allows so many teams to participate and if you are say, the 15th best player in a 50 member clan, you could very well spend the entire season sitting on the sidelines watching everyone else battle.  Supremacy League, King of the Sea etc ... are even more exclusive.  Only a handful of players can have a realistic hope of participating. They are only looking for the best of the best. 

Rank uses a much easier to achieve requirement to filter out lesser skilled players who are not yet really ready for competitive game play.  You don't have to get a Clan to take you in, you don't have to prove that you are worthy of being on one of their teams, you don't have to be one of the best players of the game out there, you just need to have enough time and experience invested in the game to have earned a T10 ship (or T8, T7, T6 depending on the season).  

There's nothing unfair about that.  The concept is the same whether the floor is set at T5 or T10 and for it to be unfair, the concept itself would have to be unfair, which it's not.  

 

 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×