You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Threat Assessment Thursday - Solomon Islands

13 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
789 posts
5,772 battles

image.png

The map is "Solomon Islands" and the Bravo objective needs to be captured, or does it?

Often times, many violent and deadly gunfire and torpedo exchanges happen here as it is a crucial spot on the map that exerts control of the map.

Destroyers, cruisers, and even battleships have sailed into this narrow channel often to meet their fate or being the victor or the victim.

How do you go about securing this vital zone and what's your plan to defeat the enemy fleet and hold it?

"No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy." - Horatio Nelson, Royal Navy

#threatassessmentthursday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,867 battles

B Cap is usually to be avoided early game. I prefer to secure a flank and then push down or up into B from both sides of the flanking island, to further pressure the enemy out of that zone and cut off escape routes.

Early game, it's a deathtrap.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,622 battles

I've found it not worth the cost to try and take it early. It is definitely a cap where the defender has an advantage. Best to take one of the covered positions and cap if the enemy does not contest B or keep them from taking it if they are doing the same thing. Spamming torps into the channel is often profitable. Still see BBs and CAs sailing down the channel into the waiting torp soup (while blocking the torps from friendly DDs). It rarely ends well. A stealthy DD can try to make deeper stabs into the cap to launch torps but it is usually suicide to try to push the whole way through. If you can account for all the red ships (pretty rare, but maybe they are trying to lemming around one end) and none are waiting in ambush near B, then cap and push.

Later game when things have thinned out and the campers might have moved on to more active battles, you can make a serious effort to push through. Once again as a DD you might sneak through alone. Larger ships should have support and scouts. If your team has pushed around either end (A or C) then you should push through in support.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,358 posts
14,610 battles

Rule for BB's: Never sail into constrained waters. Considering it's a narrow channel, expect torp soup or focused  fire by dd's in smoke. I'd prefer to secure a flank and move out from there.

• Cool 1

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
554 posts
5,100 battles

Personally I would try to keep players off of the cap or keep resetting them if they get on cap while pushing hard at A or C to get around the cap.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,867 battles

It should be noted that fleets who start in the SE corner have an advantage capping B, as there are better positions to hide behind the islands while remaining in the cap.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,697 posts
3,459 battles

IMO, B is best used as a defensive holding position, but without initially capturing it. You use it as bait for overly aggressive DDs, BBs, and Cruisers by positioning your fleet to cover it from either island. You create an X of fire, but also limit what angle any single ship of yours can be targetted from. 

Your remaining Fleet pushes A or C, securing and holding it while B is eventually in favor of capture. The people at the edge capture point then rotate back, on our teams side of the map, to reinforce the push from the opposing team's remaining ships pushing up the flank of your force at B.

It is usually a bad idea for your force to round the edge to support B, as that is what the enemy fleet will likely do. Going back to your own side prevents you from having to reach B to join the defense without being blocked by islands.

• Cool 1

Members
4,448 posts
6,150 battles

I love it when reds try and push thru that strait. If you have a decent team that knows what they are doing you just sit outside it and make it a death zone for reds. Often it becomes a demolition derby in that strait for reds as they pile into each other in a panic.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,324 posts
11,883 battles

I don't know about in random battles but in co op the answer is Derzki. I still have yet to get 8 Murder Death Kills with it in one battle though.

• Cool 1

[BLHK]
Members
293 posts
3,305 battles

I like to stop right at the edge of B and just start dumping torps. If you move into B and start capturing you are signaling red to be wary. Stay out and undetected till they commit and think you are pushing the flanks

• Cool 1

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles

I avoid that pass in the middle early in game no matter what I'm driving, just like Deadman's Gulch on Brothers. Going into that pass is a great way to eat torpedoes from both foes and soon to be pink friends. I charged into the pass once while driving Vampire and got quickly deleted by Red torps only seconds before I would've been deleted by "friendly" torps.

• Cool 1

Members
1,779 posts
17,360 battles

Kuma has the hydro/handling/guns & torps to pull it off & make any DDs regret going there (w/backup plane for extra spotting of other CLs/BBs...so that 2nd set of torps doesn't go to waste)...& Emerald does also...w/the added benefit of smoke (but w/out the plane).