You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
4ox4ire

Is it just me (Kawachi)?

6 comments in this topic

Members
21 posts
562 battles

Again asking for some advice here, this time regarding the Kawachi. I know that at first BBs didn't terribly interest me and cruisers seemed like my ideal class. I still think I like cruisers best, but I've also gotten fairly used to BBs and I like them. Or at least the American and German BBs (which I've played the most with). 

For the Japanese line, I've decided to grind through BBs primarily and cruisers secondly. However, playing as the Kawachi, it feels the shell dispersion is absurd. I just got my new PC back and have been playing on my older one recently so I don't have any video examples. But there have been numerous battles where I unleash a full broadside salvo on someone at very short distances (sometimes only about 1km away) and I consider it a success if even one or two rounds land on target. I've had even more instances of every round landing on either side of the target without a single hit. Too many games where it was me and any other given ship, coming around an island at very close range, firing a full salvo on their broadside, dead on target, but all the rounds (vertically) land on either side instead of the actual vertical level I'm aiming at.

I went through about three or four games in a row where incidents like this at close range happened every time and lead to my death. It seemed ridiculous to me because I've never had such a chronic issue with American or German BBs. It totally demoralized me in pursuing the Japanese BB line and I feel like I have no confidence in this ships main guns when I take it into battle anymore. I want to keep pursuing the Japanese BB line, but the Kawachi is just irritating to try playing anymore. My least favorite BB so far. 

So is there any particular strategy to using the Kawachi? Any good videos I could study? Are it's main guns really supposed to be so inaccurate or is this just a case of repetitive bad luck? The stats really don't look as bad as how badly it seems to actually preform for me. 

Any advise on how to sail this weeby ship?

[VW]
Members
1,830 posts
12,276 battles

That one and the myogi are absolute trash. Grind out to the kongo and install the aim mod and it becomes bearable to good all the way to yammy. 

Shoot ap, aim at the waterline, angle and get somewhat close, dont snipe from 20km just because you can, that’s the best you can do.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,073 posts
8,938 battles

I personally find that it's not so much the dispersion, but the lack of range that hampers Kawachi.  She is equalled or outranged by almost every other ship she faces, which forces her into more close range combat to be effective, even if this isn't quite her strong suit.

Crappy dispersion is simply a matter of life on all low tier BB's, so you just get used to it.  Thankfully, it only takes a handful of games to get through Kawachi and Myogi.  It's all uphill after that.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,593 posts
14,011 battles

Low Tier BBs are often problematic.  Even Tier IV there's lots of stinkers.  But V is where they start getting better, and every tier they get stronger and stronger.  There will be some annoying ones, i.e. IX Izumo and VII Gneisenau, but BBs get quite stronger with the tiers.  There are no plateaus of performance like Cruisers and Destroyers get (V-VII for DDs, VII-VIII for Cruisers).  BBs simply get better tier by tier.

I also want to say that things also play differently as you get higher in the tiers.  Ranged performance gets more important and a High Tier VIII-X game is mostly about ranged performance.  IJN & USN & RN BBs are the most ideal in high tier (IMO).  German BBs are rampaging hard, especially with Bismarck at Tier VIII running over Tier VI New Mexicos and such.  But Bismarck in a Tier X match is a very troubled ship as her opponents don't care about her secondaries, and they do appreciate her ranged performance is very mediocre, unreliable.

IMO, USN BBs are a very poor to mediocre BB Line until they get into High Tier.  That's where they turn from "mediocre" into spectacular ships.  Their ranged performance gets better, in particular IX-X USN BBs.

IJN BBs tout consistently good main battery performance throughout, once you get to V.  They sport a great balance of range, low dispersion, gun size (they don't care about 380mm that can get bounced by some Cruisers, they, like USN, believe in Big BB Guns), and reload speed.

When I play a Cruiser running around in open water tormenting BBs, USN & IJN BBs concern me.  In particular, Montana and Yamato scare me as a Cruiser player the most.  Those 2 can do some crazy trick shots at range to surprise and blap some Cruisers who think they were safe spamming at a BB at 17-18km.

• Cool 1

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,362 posts
5,025 battles

From somebody that has played more Kawachi than most: it is horrifically bad. It is a frustrating ship even for a unicum like me. It is horrific for new players. It doesn't even have the Myogi excuse of "well, if you are a 65% WR unicum you can really make the ship work." Kawachi is just hot garbage even by the low standard of a tier III BB.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
3 hours ago, AdmiralPiett said:

From somebody that has played more Kawachi than most: it is horrifically bad. It is a frustrating ship even for a unicum like me. It is horrific for new players. It doesn't even have the Myogi excuse of "well, if you are a 65% WR unicum you can really make the ship work." Kawachi is just hot garbage even by the low standard of a tier III BB.

I don't know, I really found Myogi fun. Not the best BB, the most competitive BB, or the most ideal choice for having fun in random battles in Tier IV BBs, certainly. But fun nevertheless.

Kawachi... blech! Disgusting. Absolutely hot garbage indeed. Even the generally hated Turenne is better, let alone South Carolina(I'll let you in on a secret:  South Carolina's actually REALLY, REALLY good.).

Edited by legoboy0401