You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

Do the meta & matchmaker seem to inexplicably be against you at times?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Does the meta often change in a flash, without so much as a new update or event to trigger it?

2. 2. Does the match-maker inexplicably seem to be out to get you sometimes?

• always
    • more often than not
    • about half of the time
    • less often than not
    • never
    • Eh, never really thought about it like that.

24 comments in this topic

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

...when I'm doing good or in a good/strong ship, something wouldn't always go wrong to throw the match or my performance in it. I mean, it seems that every time I'm doing well and having fun, or plan to at least, the meta changes slightly in a flash and all the sudden there is a flood of my counters, AND constant bottom-tiering.

When both decide to be nice, but something in WoWS is still against me, I'll get perfect set-ups(even the rest of the team are in perfect ships for defeating the enemy team's line-up) TOTALLY, COMPLETELY, AND UTTERLY RUINED BY TOMATO TEAMS SO BAD, THEY CAN'T KILL spotted 100 HP DDs, and THEY SHOW BROADSIDE IN EVERYTHING, meanwhile COMPLETELY MISSING THE OPEN BROADSIDE OF EQUALLY TOMATO ENEMIES AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN, UNTIL THE TOMATO ENEMIES STOP MISSING OR FINALLY ANGLE.

OH, DO I SOUND LIKE I'M ANGRY? THAT'S BECAUSE I AM!:Smile-angry::Smile_facepalm:

Oh, and that's not all, actually. Sometimes there will be clusters of enemy ships stopped or going very slow at one place or another, but instead of feasting and farming torpedo hits on said clusters of enemy ships(no radar in them, by the way), my allied DDs will be deleted because they were so inept that that they were brought down to EXTREMELY LOW health by(OF ALL THINGS) A MUTSUKI FOR GOODNESS SAKE.

Sigh. I am so glad when these battles are over, but then when I jump into another ship for another battle, back I am into a match with floods of my counters and I am bottom tier. Oh, and there are MUCH better(read: higher-tier) ships on both my team and the enemy team, but my team's top-tier ships of my class are gone within minutes of the opening of the match, while the only thing gone from the enemy team's top tier ships of my class is any trace of doubt or fear as they farm damage, medals, and Devastating Strikes off my team. I do my best, but it's just not enough. The enemy team's ships are too powerful,their captains are just as undefeatable, and what damage they don't manage to deal to me my counters do. Inevitably, I go down too, and it's a loss by steamroll for my team.:Smile_sad:

If this kind of crap were uncommon, I'd be fine with it, and just dismiss it as a fluke, but it is quite common for me. Also, when I am doing reasonably well against one or two enemy ships that would only be much of a threat if I was on low hp, in come allied torps, aimed miles away from where the enemy ships are, to deliver me as a boxed, gift-wrapped, and set under the tree easy kill for the enemy ships.

Does anyone else see this kind of thing happen a lot?(or at all?) If so, please tell me in the poll. Honestly, I try to ignore it and have fun anyway, but constant defeats are anything but fun for me.

- Regards, Legoboy0401

Edited by legoboy0401
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[TBW]
Members
6,315 posts
11,863 battles

The meta changes when New ships are sold, It changes when rank battles start and it changes when clan battles are open. The match maker is only more apt to be nasty at certain tiers.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
3 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The meta changes when New ships are sold, It changes when rank battles start and it changes when clan battles are open. The match maker is only more apt to be nasty at certain tiers.

I lament the fact that there is a CV meta now when there literally wasn't two days ago.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
36 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

I lament the fact that there is a CV meta now when there literally wasn't two days ago.

Blame Notser, he just did a video on the carrier rework being done SOON. (like sometime before 2022)

• Funny 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
7 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Blame Notser, he just did a video on the carrier rework being done SOON. (like sometime before 2022)

Why are there so many tomatoes in all classes then, when school is about to start or has started in many places?

[SOB]
Members
30 posts
7,405 battles

To have a truly balanced (well, as balanced as we can hope for anyways) game, player skill has to be attached at some point.  I actually asked if "Ranked status" would ever be considered something they would include in Matchmaker.  Their answer was a "more polite" version of...no, because we aren't willing to put in the work needed to create that sort of matchmaker"

MM (unfortunately)  is what it is.  It's as good as it gets folks.

Meanwhile, WGing has created a game that doesn't offer much in the way of teaching winning tactics or interesting META game.  Games like Company of Heroes DESPITE its difficulties in balancing always had interesting Meta game alternatives that kept the game from getting dull.  WoWs doesn't have that sadly and will be its end eventually as folks get bored playing the same game over and over and over.

[ENDVR]
Members
367 posts
5,180 battles

Get premium time.  I’ve never been without and I often feel as if I’m the only one having fun in this game anymore.

Barring that, try buying three ultimate bundles for new ship releases in a row.

Premium MM is best MM.

*are we still supposed to say when we’re being sarcastic or have we finally figured that one out?*

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,415 battles
1 hour ago, legoboy0401 said:

Why are there so many tomatoes in all classes then, when school is about to start or has started in many places?

I resent tomatoes tag.

I proudly wear the potato hat....

I played for fun, then found put win rate mattered more.....

I was almost at 49%.... then the haragumo curse hit me....

5 for 26.... I hate the ship, but dam is it fun trying to win in her

Members
705 posts

I hate wearing hats, tinfoil or otherwise. But sometimes...

It isn't just MM, or one particular match. I've had days when it felt like my aim had gotten so bad my PC was failing, enemy salvos landed on me like TOT FFE fire missions, and my spawn point was always alone at the far edge of the map, regardless of changing tier, playing different ships, or restarting the game.

It's easy to fall into a confirmation-biased paranoia that WG somehow flags an account to be crippled. But I don't think it actually happens. Sacrifice some goats and chickens to RNGsus and play on.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
4 hours ago, legoboy0401 said:

...when I'm doing good or in a good/strong ship, something wouldn't always go wrong to throw the match or my performance in it. I mean, it seems that every time I'm doing well and having fun, or plan to at least, the meta changes slightly in a flash and all the sudden there is a flood of my counters, AND constant bottom-tiering.

There's the old saying, "If you avoid making decisions, others will make decisions for you."  This applies to the universe as well.  When we neglect things, the universe is agnostic.  It doesn't care.  It will keep on keeping on whether you keep up or not.

When a player has a 30% survival rate and the performance metrics that additionally support the fact that they are not taking proper responsibility for the health of their ship in order to be around during the late game where they can still be in a position to influence the outcome of the battle, then they are forced to rely on others to dictate that outcome.  When a player does this, they are not in control as they could be.  And it's that control that will directly impact a person's perspective when it comes to adopting an internal locus of control (belief that they can control outcomes) or an external locus of control (belief that their circumstances are mostly the result of the environment).  Those with an external locus of control find themselves making excuses, assigning blame, etc. which limits their personal growth and the speed at which they develop skills.

Let's say you average 5k damage per minute in XYZ ship.  Not all matches last the full 20 minutes.  So let's say average battle duration is 15 minutes.  If the average length of time you survive in battles is 10 minutes, you're going to average 50k damage.  Someone that averages 12.5 minutes before sinking is going to average 62,500 damage per match in that ship.  You may not think 12,500 additional average damage means much in this game but it actually is very considerable.  That person averaging 62,500 is going to win a lot more matches.

Look at unicum players and compare their average damage and survival rate (battles survived / battles played) in the same ship you play often.  Stick to solo stats so divisions don't skew results.  The gaps are massive.  Now I'm not saying you should be unicum.  We can't all be unicum.  But a major reason why so many players aren't is because they are actually far more aggressive and getting themselves out of position than they should be contrary to what many believe to be passive players causing losses.  This game is all about a player's ability to BOTH maximize damage output while SIMULTANEOUSLY minimizing damage taken.  Being alive during the second half of the match is a major separator between unicums and below average players.  Below average players are rarely ever alive that long.  They focus far too heavily on damage without paying attention to the damage they are taking or just as important, the damage they will soon be taking because they are not forecasting and adjusting properly based on what the minimap is telling them.

Often like little kids playing soccer who only kick the ball forward because they haven't yet developed the deductive reasoning skills that sometimes it's actually better to pass backwards to make greater forward future progress.  Similarly in this game, there are many times in a single battle where it may make sense for certain players on the team to turn around and kite (tactical retreat) when they are about to be outnumbered.

Once you look inward and adopt an internal locus of control and find a way to objectively evaluate your performance and make the necessary adjustments to protect the health of your ship more effectively (while still dishing out the damage), you will see considerable gains and your belief that the game is out to get you will dissipate if not disappear entirely.  Everyone else faces the same opposition when you scale it over thousands of games.  The randomness evens out with large sample sizes.  So if there are players winning at 60% plus solo, they are making decisions in game that you're not yet seeing and the first step to improving your play is to acknowledge that and be honest about that but also remind yourself that you have the power and ability to make those same better decisions.  And first adopting a winning mindset, an internal locus of control, is the fastest way to get there.

Edited by VGLance
  • Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
3 hours ago, legoboy0401 said:

Because GOD loves TOMATOES!

[BOTES]
Members
1,895 posts
6,607 battles

Only problem with MM rules right now are:

1. IJN tech trees need to be balanced just like nation balancing. 2 Harugumo vs. 2 Shimakaze is not a fair fight just because they're both IJN.
  2. DDL needs to be formally introduced as a subclass for certain IJN and VMF DD that fill a gunboat role. Sorry, but Udaloi vs. Fletcher isn't balanced for the Udaloi's side. Great ship, but DD balance needs to focus on roles and it isn't fair to give one team a built in advantage for map control.
  3. Each team should have an equal number of radar within a certain allowance, maybe 1. Ex. 3 radar on Team A, 4 radar on Team B. There are still matchups where one team gets radar and the other doesn't, or one team gets 5 radar and the other gets 1 or 2. VERY IMPORTANT POINT: a PADD or RNCL should NEVER be the equalizer. Ex. 4 Des Moines with radar on Team A, 2 Des Moines and a Minotaur on Team B. Now Team A knows that the Minotaur must have radar equipped, which removes the element of surprise and serves as a nerf to the ship.
  4. No more 0v1 DD matchups. You can forgo cruisers and battleships, but a destroyer is mandatory for map control.
Edited by awildseaking

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
39 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

Only problem with MM rules right now are:

1. IJN tech trees need to be balanced just like nation balancing. 2 Harugumo vs. 2 Shimakaze is not a fair fight just because they're both IJN.
  2. DDL needs to be formally introduced as a subclass for certain IJN and VMF DD that fill a gunboat role. Sorry, but Udaloi vs. Fletcher isn't balanced for the Udaloi's side. Great ship, but DD balance needs to focus on roles and it isn't fair to give one team a built in advantage for map control.
  3. Each team should have an equal number of radar within a certain allowance, maybe 1. Ex. 3 radar on Team A, 4 radar on Team B. There are still matchups where one team gets radar and the other doesn't, or one team gets 5 radar and the other gets 1 or 2. VERY IMPORTANT POINT: a PADD or RNCL should NEVER be the equalizer. Ex. 4 Des Moines with radar on Team A, 2 Des Moines and a Minotaur on Team B. Now Team A knows that the Minotaur must have radar equipped, which removes the element of surprise and serves as a nerf to the ship.
  4. No more 0v1 DD matchups. You can forgo cruisers and battleships, but a destroyer is mandatory for map control.

There should never be a DD numbers imbalance period. It doesn't impact queue times so there is no excuse.

• Cool 1

[BOTES]
Members
1,895 posts
6,607 battles
10 minutes ago, VGLance said:

There should never be a DD numbers imbalance period. It doesn't impact queue times so there is no excuse.

I can tolerate some imbalances depending on if the extra DD is a gunboat, but otherwise I agree completely. Having more cap contesters almost always results in a win.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

Nice little discussion you guys had after-hours, I quite like it.

16 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I have a question for you: Do you ever have days where you should be playing just as well as you normally do, but you end up more potato'ing despite not really knowing why?

I do, and it confuses the heck out of me.

• Cool 1

Members
17,723 posts
5,084 battles
12 hours ago, VGLance said:

When we neglect things, the universe is agnostic.  It doesn't care.  It will keep on keeping on whether you keep up or not.

I agree. In fact, I sometimes count on that phenomenon to make problems go away while I ignore them.....:cap_haloween:

Members
17,723 posts
5,084 battles
8 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

I have a question for you: Do you ever have days where you should be playing just as well as you normally do, but you end up more potato'ing despite not really knowing why?

I do, and it confuses the heck out of me.

Yup, and I often wonder if it's that, or other times, why am I doing so much better than usual?

Had a Bayern game last night, our team mostly went whole potato, ended up me at about 45% health and a Colorado with a sliver of health against 5 enemies.

After that, I don't think I fired a salvo with less than 5 digit damage, and was dancing around torps like Michael Jackson lol.

Ended up with a Dev Strike, Confederate, and the first Kraken I've had in a loooong time....

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

I have hit level 15 and 2 stars in ranked three different times now without getting to level 14. 

Half my teams are bad to awful, the other half are okay to amazing. 

Checks out statistically. 

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Yup, and I often wonder if it's that, or other times, why am I doing so much better than usual?

Had a Bayern game last night, our team mostly went whole potato, ended up me at about 45% health and a Colorado with a sliver of health against 5 enemies.

After that, I don't think I fired a salvo with less than 5 digit damage, and was dancing around torps like Michael Jackson lol.

Ended up with a Dev Strike, Confederate, and the first Kraken I've had in a loooong time....

Well, Bayern is a little crazy sometimes, admittedly. I'm still working my way to Gneisenau(and eventually Bismarck), but I'm doing reasonably well and having fun in my Bayern. For me, she prints CQEs, even without Manual Secondaries(which I'm still working on getting, 1 point to go before I have a 14-point KMS BB captain and a full(non-IFHE) secondary build for (eventually) my Bismarck, my current KMS BB captain's future permanent home), which is quite surprising.

Gotta love that overmatch, too, when it works(it's about 50/50 whether it will work or not, given Bayern's poor pen) though!

Members
17,723 posts
5,084 battles
1 hour ago, legoboy0401 said:

Well, Bayern is a little crazy sometimes, admittedly. I'm still working my way to Gneisenau(and eventually Bismarck), but I'm doing reasonably well and having fun in my Bayern. For me, she prints CQEs, even without Manual Secondaries(which I'm still working on getting, 1 point to go before I have a 14-point KMS BB captain and a full(non-IFHE) secondary build for (eventually) my Bismarck, my current KMS BB captain's future permanent home), which is quite surprising.

I took my 18-pointer out of Bismarck, when I realised how much fun I wasn't having with it in T10 matches.

Only iffy part is, he doesn't have AFT. 9.4km was just fine in Bis, but 6.3km is a little lacking in Bayern.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

I took my 18-pointer out of Bismarck, when I realised how much fun I wasn't having with it in T10 matches.

Only iffy part is, he doesn't have AFT. 9.4km was just fine in Bis, but 6.3km is a little lacking in Bayern.

I'll only mostly use it for missions(in Campaigns) and the like. On the plus side, she'll be relatively cheap to run, as I have the 'Hunt The Bismarck Collection' free exclusive premium camos, so yeah. Besides, I've always wanted to own a fully-secondary build Bismarck.

To be honest, I'll probably run Amagi as my first majorly-played Tier VIII, once I get through Fuso and Nagato.

Members
17,723 posts
5,084 battles
21 hours ago, legoboy0401 said:

To be honest, I'll probably run Amagi as my first majorly-played Tier VIII, once I get through Fuso and Nagato.

Amagi is my favorite BB, possibly even my favorite ship.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
8 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Amagi is my favorite BB, possibly even my favorite ship.

So I've heard.